[nfbmi-talk] Fw: [Vendorsmi] HB 6006, What Will You Do?

Terry Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 13:20:31 UTC 2012

The posted proposed legislation bill was posted in its entirety.  The sole
purpose is to take jobs away from blind persons.  It was brought about, in
my opinion, because of the incompetence of BEP management, the failure of
BEP management and the MCB under Pat Cannon and the Elected Operators'
Committee to follow the law and program rules, and failure to support good
BEP traning and jobs for blind persons.  Sighted persons were allowed to
operate BEP facilities without training, supervision by BEP promotion
agents, and failure of BEP and Pat Cannon to throw them out of facilities
they were running down and destroying the business goodwill of the state
employees and public they were to serve as guests to facilities.  This is no
better demonstrated than the situation the governor's transition team faced
at the state library and museum BEP facility.  The transition team
complained of low product inventory, unwillingness of the sighted operator
to provide catering, and an I don't care attitude by the sighted operator.
The solution:  BEP management and Pat Cannon used rehabilitation funds for
more inventory and a computer and printer, only to have the sighted operator
further rip-off the BEP by not paying set-aside fees, taxes, and again
depleting the inventory before leaving the facility.  By then the damage and
poor image of the BEP and blind persomns had been done.  This scenario has
been mirrored by other sighted persons and poorly trained blind persons in
several BEP facilities.  These are the facts and reality, and Ed Rodgers,
the new BS4BP director, has publicly said that what has happened before
October 1, 2012 doesn't matter, as he supports administration's attempt to
take jobs from blind persons, with their WORK TO WELFARE FOR THE BLIND
attitude and legislation.  Ed Rodgers and Mike Zimmer publicly hide behind
their statements that state employees cannot speak out and lobby for
legislation, while quietly behind closed doors they are doing just
that--pushing legislation to take jobs from blind persons, and move blind
persons from work to welfare.