[nfbmi-talk] {Spam?} Fwd: September 2012 MCB Insight

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 22:58:08 UTC 2012

MCB Insight
Michigan Commission for the Blind, September 2012

In This Issue:

Voice of the Consumer
By Pat Cannon, MCB State Director, Lansing

MCB Becomes BSBP on October 1

Lunch with Governor Snyder
By Shannon McVoy, Assistant Manager, MCB West Region, Kalamazoo

MCB Braille and Talking Book Library Update
By Sue Chinault, Manager, and Scott Norris, Adaptive Technology Librarian,
MCB Braille and Talking Book Library, Lansing

MCB Staff and Friends Enjoy 16th (Almost) Annual Lugnuts Outing August 7
By Bob Robertson, Manager of Organizational Development, Lansing

Letters and Emails

Staff News

Staff Profile:  Leah Williams

Voice of the Consumer
By Pat Cannon, MCB State Director, Lansing

It's that time of year again, when each of us has the opportunity to
attend the annual state conventions of the Michigan Council of the
Blind and Visually Impaired (MCBVI) and the National Federation of the
Blind of Michigan (NFBM).  As always, I urge you consider attending
one (or both) of these important gatherings in an effort to get a
unique perspective on the voice of the consumer.

This year the MCBVI convention will be held in Lansing Thursday,
September 13, through Sunday, September 16, at the Best Western Plus
Hotel (formerly the Causeway Bay), at 6820 South Cedar Street.  The
2012 theme is "Let's Plan Our Future Together!" and the speaker at the
Saturday banquet will be Ardis Bazyn of Bazyn Communications, Burbank,
California.  For more information about the convention, contact MCBVI
Convention Chair Casey Dutmer at 616-534-0581 or
Casey354 at comcast.net<mailto:Casey354 at comcast.net>, or read the
information on the MCBVI website at
http://www.blindmi.org/convention.html

Next month, the NFB of Michigan state convention will be held in
Dearborn Friday, October 19, through Sunday, October 21, at the
Doubletree Hotel, 5801 Southfield Expressway, Detroit.  For more
information, contact  NFB of Michigan President Larry Posont at
313-271-3058 or
president.nfb.mi at gmail.com<mailto:president.nfb.mi at gmail.com>, or read
the information on the NFBM website at http://nfbmi.org/convention

I recommend these annual state conventions as an opportunity for
learning and networking with members of these consumer organizations.
Historically, MCB has been well represented at both of these
conventions by staff and commissioners, and I hope that this year will
be no exception.  I will be at both events, and I look forward to
seeing you there.

MCB Becomes BSBP on October 1

On October 1, Executive Order 2012-10 will take effect, and the
Michigan Commission for the Blind will become the Bureau of Services
for Blind Persons (BSBP).  Michigan Rehabilitation Services will move
to the Department of Human Services, while BSBP will remain in
Licensing and Regulatory Affairs with a new advisory commission.  As
advised by the LARA Communications Office, BSBP will continue to use
MCB brochures and informational materials until further notice.  The
website will be updated beginning October 1 and continuing through
October.  The current website URL
(www.michigan.gov/mcb<http://www.michigan.gov/mcb>) will continue to
work for at least a year after the new URL
(www.michigan.gov/bsbp<http://www.michigan.gov/bsbp>) is activated.
BSBP consumers should not notice any change in the services they
receive as a result of the executive order.  The full text of
Executive Order 2012-10 is on the home page of the MCB website at
www.michigan.gov/mcb<http://www.michigan.gov/mcb>.

Lunch with Governor Snyder
By Shannon McVoy, Assistant Manager, MCB West Region, Kalamazoo

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CD8F67.591B57A0]
Photo:  Governor Rick Snyder poses with 10 LARA employees including
Shannon McVoy, who is standing beside the governor to his left.

I was very honored and excited to be chosen to represent the Michigan
Commission for the Blind at the LARA luncheon with Governor Snyder.
August 1 came quickly as did my nerves.  I didn't know what to expect,
but Mary Ippel tried to put my mind at ease as I walked out the door
to head to the Capitol building in Lansing.  I hadn't been in the
Capitol since my daughter's 4th grade field trip.  It never ceases to
amaze me how beautiful the building is.  There were 10 LARA employees,
each from a different bureau, who arrived for lunch.  Governor Snyder
showed up promptly at noon, and his casual manner quickly put us at
ease.  Although we only had a short time with him, he had a lot of
positive things to say about state employees and their dedication.  I
made sure to let him know that MCB is happy to continue to be part of
LARA and that we and the consumers that we serve feel that his
decision to amend the executive order and keep us in LARA was best for
individuals in our state who are blind.  I joked about our new name.
Overall, it was a wonderful experience, and I am grateful to Director
Cannon and the others who chose me to attend this luncheon.

Library Update
By Sue Chinault, Manager, and Scott Norris, Adaptive Technology Librarian,
MCB Braille and Talking Book Library, Lansing

Subregional Libraries:

The Oakland County Library for the Visually and Physically Impaired
officially closed August 31.  Rochester Hills Public Library (RHPL)
will assume services on October 1 as the Oakland Talking Book Service
at RHPL.   BTBL is serving Oakland County patrons while the move is in
progress.

The former LBPH in Marquette reopened on September 5 as an Advisory
and Outreach Center (AOC).  An AOC is a new subregional library model
that provides all the services of a subregional library except for the
shipping of books to patrons.  Upper Peninsula patrons are calling
reader advisors in Marquette for assistance, while BTBL is shipping
the requested items from Lansing.  The AOC model created enough of a
cost savings for the library that they were able to reopen after
having closed in 2009.  The AOC is now known as the Great Lakes
Talking Book Library.

The Grand Traverse Area LBPH is also undergoing major changes.  As of
October 1, the library will continue to serve eight of the former 16
counties, with the remainder transferring service to BTBL.
Additionally, Traverse City will function as an AOC, which means that
books will be shipped from Lansing.  These changes came about through
negotiation with BTBL while the Traverse Area District Library Board
was entertaining a motion to completely close the subregional library.

Magazines

Beginning sometime in the next few months, magazine subscriptions will
be shipped on digital cartridges instead of on cassette.  In the same
manner as talking book circulation, patrons will need to return the
magazines to get the next issue.  Each cartridge will contain all of
the magazines a patron is subscribed to on a monthly basis.  If a
patron is subscribed to weekly magazines, more frequent shipping will
occur.

Computer Club and Book Club:

The next meeting date for the BTBL Computer and Book clubs will be
Saturday, September 22.  The computer club topic is a BTBL staff
favorite:  iPhone apps.  The BTBL Book club book for discussion is
DB/RC61507, The Keeper's Son, by Homer Hickam.  The setting is North
Carolina's Outer Banks in the early 1940s.  Josh Thurlow continues his
family's operation of Killakeet Lighthouse and
commands a Coast Guard patrol boat.  While hunting German U-boats that
target American vessels, Josh confronts someone who could be his
long-lost brother.  Some descriptions of sex, some violence, and some
strong language.  2003.

On Saturday, October 13, Jessica Goodrich will talk about
GoodReads.com in computer club.  The Book Club will be discussing
RC/DB 68384 or BR18488, Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins.

Meetings can be attended in person in the BTBL public service area or
accessed online interactively.  Computer Club meets from 10:30 a.m. to
12:30 p.m., and Book Club is 1:30-3:00 p.m.  For more information,
call Scott Norris at 800-992-9012.

MCB Staff and Friends Enjoy 16th (Almost) Annual Lugnuts Outing August 7
By Bob Robertson, Rehabilitation Consultant Manager, Lansing

[cid:image004.png at 01CD8F67.591B57A0]
Photo:  MCB staff, family members, and friends enjoying the Lugnuts
game on August 7, 2012.

On Tuesday, August 7, employees of the Michigan Commission for the
Blind attended the Lansing Lugnuts vs. West Michigan Whitecaps
baseball game at Cooley Law School Stadium in Lansing.  Nearly 40
people - staff, family members, and friends - were in attendance.  It
was the second Eat-A-Palooza night at the ballpark in 2012, which
meant that all food and soft drinks were absolutely free!  Based on
casual observation, it appeared that everyone took advantage of the
offer!  One MCB employee, Scott Norris, who happens to be blind and
works at the Braille and Talking Book Library, threw out one of the
ceremonial first pitches (see photo below).  It should be noted that
the pitch went right over the heart of the plate!  The group raffle
prize - a Lugnut Buddies baseball - went to Diamalyn Gaston's
grandson, Tyler.  Since the Lugnuts were formed in 1996, MCB has
organized a group outing every year except one.  If the Lugnuts do
another all-you-can-eat game next year, there's a good chance it will
be selected as the MCB game again!

[cid:image006.png at 01CD8F67.591B57A0]
Photo:  Scott Norris on the pitcher's mound just as the ball leaves his hand.

[Editor's note:  The MCB Lugnuts outing has continued for many years
thanks to the fact that Bob Robertson always takes the initiative to
organize it-thanks, Bob!]

Letters and Emails

MCB Training Center Director Christine Boone received this note
thanking the MCBTC staff from a student who had just returned home
from the center:

"This has been a real challenge for me, I've learned a great deal from
you and your staff, and have more to learn.  I did not know learning
to use a computer would be so demanding.  I really would like for you
to know how much I appreciate the opportunity that you've given me.
The entire program is wonderful, and I wish you all nothing but the
best in the years to come.  I've enjoyed my experience with you all
and I am very happy to have met each one of you.  Thank you."

. . . and Mary Zemlick, a Rehabilitation Teacher at the MCB Training
Center,  received this note from another student who had just returned
home:

"My Mother said thank you for all your help.  I would like you to tell
the staff how I like them being so nice to me. . . . I feel it has
been a helpful experience for me.  You have been [a] very
understanding person.  I was glad I was able to go to [the] rehab
center for the blind in Kalamazoo.  I wish you have a nice summer."

Roberta McCall, a Rehabilitation Teacher with the MCB West Region
based in Lansing, received this note from a consumer:

"Just wanted to tell you that I took my cane & holster to the MSU game
Saturday night, and it really made an incredible difference for me.  I
am much more confident and able to do things independently, like going
to the men's room.  People were helpful, and probably apologized a
dozen times for minor collisions on the ramps. Quite a change from
snide remarks and near fist-fights!  The kicker came as my daughter
and I waited in line for the post-game shuttle bus to our parking lot.
A shuttle bus supervisor spotted us in line, ushered us to the front,
and told the attendant to make sure that we were the first people on
the next bus!  Your training and support are making big impacts on my
life.  Thank you for all you've done, and continue to do."

Staff News

Patrick Duthie, Business Enterprise Program Promotional Agent for the
Grand Rapids area, is the proud dad of a new daughter, Lillian Marie,
who arrived in late August.  Mom Silvia and big sister Charlotte
joined Dad in welcoming the newest addition to the family, who weighed
in at six pounds, 11 ounces.

Sue Chinault, Manager of the Braille and Talking Book Library in
Lansing, says she is "thrilled" to announce the birth of her first
grandchild in mid-August.  Henry Edward made his appearance in Boston
weighing in at 8 pounds and 2 ounces.

Kathy Wine, a cook at the MCB Training Center in Kalamazoo, was
married to Tom Ebbitt on July 4.  Congratulations and best wishes to
Tom and Kathy!

Bruce Schultz retired from MCB after 24 years of service with the
commission at the MCB Training Center.  His colleagues threw a
celebratory vegetarian potluck in his honor, and his last day at work
was June 29.  Bruce began his retirement with a trip to Bassoon Camp
with his wife, the one who actually plays bassoon.  Since then, Bruce
has continued to enjoy an active and busy retirement with gardening,
local volunteer work, and other favorite projects.  Best wishes to
you, Bruce!

After 10 years of service to the State of Michigan, Judy Wallace is
retiring, and her last day with MCB will be September 14.  Her B E P
colleagues are hosting a lunch in her honor on September 13 in
Lansing.  For more information about the lunch, contact Lucy Edmonds
at 517-373-3459.  Best wishes on your retirement, Judy!

Staff Profile:  Leah Williams

Leah Williams, a Rehabilitation Teacher at the Lansing Regional
office, began her work with MCB on January 9, 2012.  She came to MCB
from Michigan Rehabilitation Services, where she worked as a
Rehabilitation Counselor.
Leah went to Western Michigan University, where she earned two degrees
- one in Rehabilitation Teaching and one in Rehabilitation Counseling.
 Asked how she got into this field, Leah replied, "I knew someone
whose sister had been losing her sight since age seven, and she was
involved with MCB as a client.  I got interested in the field, and
then I heard that there was a degree program, which was even better."
In addition to her rehab training and experience, Leah has had other
experiences working with people.  At one time, she was a student
supervisor for Kids N Stuff, a children's museum in Albion where she
grew up.  Reflecting on that experience and the virtue of patience,
Leah says with a smile, "I have a lot of patience with children-more
than with adults!"
About her work with MCB, Leah says, "What I like best about the work I
do now is my clients.  I say that because they invite me to share in
their experiences, and I'm privileged enough to walk through their
vision experience.  To me that's an honor in itself, because that's
really a private ordeal."
When asked what she finds most challenging, Leah smiles and admits,
"That would be when I have to leave a person's home, because I know
they want to sit and visit.  I creep toward the door, and then I'm
outside, and then they're outside too!  Today on one visit with a
client, for example, I said goodbye five times, and each goodbye led
into a new conversation!"
Leah is not one to sit around and waste time.  During her teen years
in Albion, she participated in "Volunteens," planting flowers and
doing other service projects around Albion.  (To this day, she tells
people around town, "Don't walk on those flowers!" ) She was also on
her high school tennis and softball teams, and she still works out
frequently and likes to stay active.
She admits that, when she gets home from work, her mind keeps
processing possible solutions for her clients.  She says, "I'm
constantly trying to figure out how to help my clients.  For example,
I Google things, like how to use technology that people have donated."
 To help her mind shift gears from work to free time, Leah admits that
she's a fan of what she describes as "mindless and relaxing" TV shows
like Real Housewives of Orange County and Boondocks.  Other times, she
enjoys shopping or visiting her grandmother.  Leah notes, "My work has
put it in perspective that my grandmother might want company
sometimes."
Asked to talk about her strengths, Leah says, "I think I'm organized,
concise, and hardworking.  I'm working on my teaching skills, which I
think will always be a work in progress!  For example, you may know
how an object works, but you have to find a new way to explain it for
each person.  This can be challenging when you only see the person for
an hour once every three weeks.  You have to gauge their understanding
and figure out if they really understand or if they're just saying
they understand.  Men especially can be prideful, not wanting to ask
for more explanation."
Leah has always enjoyed work that requires her to figure out what to
do in interpersonal situations, and she finds that people often ask
her advice on such things.  She says, "For some reason, I'm able to
offer a different perspective.  I don't know where that comes from.  I
guess I'm able to weigh both sides without being emotional."  She
grins and adds, "Soon I'll have to start charging fees!"
In addition to her rehab work, Leah has a continuing interest in
public health and fitness, especially the issue of childhood obesity.
She has a bachelor's degree in exercise science, and she occasionally
thinks about getting a master's in public health.  Meanwhile, when her
niece and three nephews visit, they always complain about the snacks
at her house - too much water and celery sticks, and not enough
cookies and juice!
Summarizing her experience to date with MCB, Leah says, "For me,
working here has helped me grow and learn, not only on a professional
level, but on a personal level, which I really appreciate.  Working
with people who have been here longer than I have, or people who can
give me a different perspective, makes me a well-rounded person.  And
being well-rounded is important to me, because I don't want to be
someone who just says, like, 'This is the way it is.  You have to
catch up with technology.'"
In conclusion, Leah is probably not the neighbor to call if you need
to borrow a bag of potato chips or a cup of caramel sauce.  But if you
need help with your fitness plan, if you have to figure out how to be
diplomatic in a difficult situation, or if you want expert advice on
planting petunias, you can reach her at 517-335-2871 or
williamsL32 at michigan.gov<mailto:williamsL32 at michigan.gov>.

MCB Insight is a bimonthly email newsletter published by the Michigan
Commission for the Blind (MCB) and distributed to MCB staff during the
first week of odd-numbered months.  If you have articles or ideas for
MCB Insight, please send them to Susan Turney at
turneys at michigan.gov<mailto:turneys at michigan.gov> anytime.  Your
suggestions and comments are welcome.  This publication is available
in alternative formats upon request to persons with disabilities.

Contributors and others assisting with this issue:  Pat Cannon, Sue
Chinault, Roberta McCall, Shannon McVoy, Corda Moss, Scott Norris,
Christine Pada, Bob Robertson, Leah Williams, and Constance Zanger.

Editor:  Susan Turney, Communications & Outreach Coordinator, Michigan
Commission for the Blind, LARA.

Associate Editor:  Bob Robertson, Manager of Organizational
Development, Michigan Commission for the Blind, LARA.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind, a part of the Michigan
Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs, is an equal opportunity
employer/program.

Michigan Commission for the Blind
Michigan Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs
201 N. Washington Square, 2nd floor
P.O. Box 30652
Lansing, MI 48909
Voice (toll-free) 1-800-292-4200