[nfbmi-talk] What is like, ?

Linda Bloodsaw lbloodsaw2018 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 21:18:56 UTC 2013

Hi Alexa,

I would not use Detroit public transportation myself as a blind person.  I usually don't travel long distances, so I will use a cab or paratransit service.  As far as paratransit goes, it could take a while to get to your destination, depending on where you are going.  It took me two hours to get home from the west side of Detroit to downtown one time.  Detroit paratransit runs 24 hours, 7 days a week.  You just have to make sure you schedule your ride at least 24 hours ahead and you have to stay 2 hours at your destination before you can be picked up.   So, sometimes I will take paratransit one way and a taxi on my return trip.  It is more expensive, but if I know I don't need two hours, it is worth it for me to just get back home.  I would still suggest a gated community in downtown or mid town Detroit for safety. I have lived in Detroit my entire life and have not had a problem.  It just worked out that when I started losing my sight, I had just moved downtown into a gated area.  Hope this is helpful.

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbmi-talk_nfbnet.org/goodfolks%40c