[nfbmi-talk] baltimore trip Fw: Leadership Seminar

gkitchen ghkitchen at comcast.net
Mon Aug 19 04:43:30 UTC 2013

Hi,
 It is my understanding we need 30 blind people minimum to go at $50. per
person. That includes  the bus, your stay at the national center and the
food once you get there. I believe we would leave early Thursday morning but
I do not know where we would meet. You do have a good idea about meeting at
the  Dearborn train station though. Last time we met at Fairlane Mall. It
was a great trip. I had my Lab Sammie and he did real well.

I guess we all should spread the word around the  different chapters.

Oh, NFBNewsline is going to be shut off on August 31 if The Bureau doesn't
decide to fund NFBNewsline. I would be willing to go  through how the job
listings work, etc. if Mr. Rodgers was willing to hear me through. I am
better over the phone than I am in person. It is sort of  weird I know.

I know Larry Gorton and other subscribers would have a lot to say as well. A
woman here who is a director of an  agency for the blind  said she found her
condo through newsline. I know it is not a job but it is important to have a
place to go  that you feel safe, happy etc. after a long day at work.

I even found some jobs through NFBNewsline in Flint.

We have a big job working to make sure the youth coming up get a good
education, have access to as many reading sources as possible, learn to read
Braille, get a good background in the STEM areas when appropriate or get a
marketable skill. I hope the Bureau will take a  look into the future and
help  by funding NFBNewsline and keep the BEP program intact.
I have a health fair Saturday and I will be passing out NFB materials and
Newsline  packets as well.
I make a point to talk to the doctors and residents there also. Working with
senior centers and the typical blindness agencies. I am meeting a lot of new
counselors/teachers. Sorry, not boasting-- I am really passionate about
newsline.

In my opinion,  there should not be any doubt of the value of NFBNewsline as
a tool to find jobs and grow personally and vocationally by utilizing
NFBNewsline.
  NFBNewsline has expanded in many areas since the late 1990's. I love the
global search and the ability to customize "my paper" by placing just those
sections of publications I want to read. Well, I still read more than that
as well.

Sincerely,
Georgia Kitchen