[nfbmi-talk] one aps primer

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Tue Aug 27 12:10:41 UTC 2013

Hi Chris and All,

The issue of appropriately designed APS versus appropriate instruction in
travel is not a zero sum game anymore than is the requirement for raised
character and Braille signage on permanent rooms is so. In other words we
can and should have both.

The sighted world takes information delivery (i.e. ped signals and signs)
for granted and does not feel diminished one with.

Now I'm not talking about having an aps on every corner here, but am talking
about equivalency. And where there is a ped signal it can, and should be
accessible to all including, we the blind.

I've been very passionate about these issues, as all know for years, for to
me it is a matter, again of civil and equal rights; equal protection under
law.

Now, that said there is not now, nor has there ever been from me an argument
that the cuckoos are not just cuckoo. They don't offer equivalency. They are
annoying. And they simply often are not helpful either.

Plus they kind of make us look silly.

Whoever invented them didn't do proponents of aps any favors for sure.

Nor, again do I disagree what you and Doug h have written on travel, etc.

Another reason for aps though has been stated upon this list for as we all
age often hearing and other innate mobility tools begin to break down.

One of my old colleagues from New Hampshire was the best cane traveler I
ever knew and a true mentor to me with his independence. A long time
Federationist he was also a long time proponent for appropriate aps because
he was losing his hearing abilities, or at least had some age related loss
and he also dealt with the elderly blind on a daily basis.

Thus our New Hampshire NFB delegation always worked in favor of aps,
including at NFB conventions in the late nineties.

Again though it isn't a matter of one or the other, but, rather both in my
mind.

When it comes to specific crossings I must examine them. But, again look at
the issue of room labeling, or lack thereof for blind folks. If sighted
folks in a hotel or school or state building get to know at first instance
what the room is then why not us?

And grinning here, I would not wish for the room to be labeled with a cuckoo
sound, but rather with raised character and Braille signage that says
precisely what it says to the sighted.