[nfbmi-talk] {Spam?} complete misilc meeting 11 22

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Dec 2 19:38:08 UTC 2013

Important stuff in here. Long but important...Oh and I ddn't have to pay zillions of dollars in a foia to get it either.

Not: Essenberger is in here, as is Section 14 c, and the ever engaging Leemon Jones....

Joe

MISILC Council Meeting

11-22-13

11:00 A.M. EST

Crowne Plaza Hotel, Lansing, Michigan

CART Provider:  Annette Blough, CSR, RPR, CCP, CRR

ROUGH DRAFT

(This text is being provided in a rough draft format.  Communication Access Realtime Translation [CART] is provided in order to facilitate communication accessibility and may not be a totally verbatim record of the proceedings.)

     11-22-13.  MISILC Meeting

  >> SARA:  Good morning, if everybody could take their seats we will be starting the minute in one to two minutes.

  Good morning again. We are going to call the meeting to order at 11:02 a.m. on this beautiful Friday morning, I hope everybody is doing good today. Before I move into introductions, I wanted to just state that my attention is to finish the meeting somewhat early today due to the fact for those of us driving north there is quite a bit of snow coming down so I don't know if Carol has looked at the weather map or Nick is aware of that but they are starting in about south of Mt. Pleasant there is pretty heavy snow up there. It would be good to get us on the road in a decent hour, I will start with Steve and pass the microphone along and we will get everybody introduced and then we will start the meeting.

   >> STEVE:  Good morning I'm the SILC vice chair.

   >> Dominic Dennis member at large.

   >> Good morning, Kellie Boyd, SILC liaison.

   >> Shory with the Michigan Council for Rehabilitation Services.

   >> Tom Jones, Michigan Rehabilitation Services.

   >> Rob Essenburg, Bureau of Services for Blind, Vision, New Division Director for Development Assistance and Development Program.

   >> Leamon Jones, Bureau of Blind Services, Consumer Division.

   >> Mia Smith, Vocation Rehabilitation Counselor for 121 Program.

   >> Sean Bennett, disability rights advocate and public policy wonk.

   >> Ken Browde, Council.

   >> Miranda Grunwell, Council member.

   >> Connie Kiggins, SILC member.

   >> Lou Adams, Michigan Rehabilitation Services ex-officio member.

   >> Karen Stevens, SILC staff.

   >> Denise Stork-Phillips, ex-officio for Department of Human Services.

   >> Carol Bergquist, Council member.

   >> Robin Bennett, Council member.

   >> Rebecca Parten, Council member.

   >> Valarie Barnum-Yarger, SILC staff.

   >> On the phone who do we have?

   >> Mike.

   >> SARA:  Is there anybody else on the phone?

Okay.

   >> Rodney Craig, staff to the Council.

   >> SARA:  Sara Grivetti, SILC Council member.

   >> And Lisa Cook will be on the phone.

   >> We need a role call and determination of a quorum and will turn it over to Karen Stevens.

   >> KAREN: I took roll as everybody introduced themselves.  Okay, Carol Bergquist?

   >> CAROL:  Present.

   >> KAREN:  Robin Bennett?

   >> ROBIN:  Present.

   >> KAREN:  Kellie Boyd?

   >> KELLIE:  Here.

   >> KAREN:  Ken Browde?

   >> KEN:  Here.

   >> KAREN:  Lisa Cook-Gordon?

   >> VAL:  Is going to be on the phone.

   >> KAREN:  Val?

   >> VAL: Yes.

   >> KAREN:  Dominic Dennis?

   >> DOMINIC:  Here.

   >> KAREN:  Sara Grivetti?

   >> SARA:  Here.

   >> KAREN:  Amanda Grunwell?

   >> AMANDA:  Here.

   >> KAREN:  Michael Hamm, on the phone.

   Connie Kiggins?

   >> CONNIE:  Here.

   >> KAREN:  Steve Locke.

   >> STEVE: Here.

   >> KAREN:  Deborah Morrison?

   >> DEBORAH:  Here.

   >> KAREN:  Rebecca Parten?

   >> REBECCA:  Here.

   >> KAREN:  Dawn Reamer?

   >> Val:  Excused.

   >> SARA: We have established a quorum and approval of the November 22, 2013 agenda.

   >> KEN:  So moved.

   >> STEVE:  Support.

   >> SARA:  I need to make a couple changes to that under executive director evaluation, I need to move that off of the consent agenda and put that under new business and then I also need to add workgroup reports under state plan item D.

   Do I have support for those changes?

   >> ROBIN:  Support.

   >> CONNIE:  Support.

   >> DOMINIC:  Second.

   >> SARA:  All those in favor?

   >> Aye.

   >> SARA:  Any opposed?

   Motion carries.

   And I need to ask you to identify yourself when you talk so that those on the phone can know who made the motions and supported those and also for Annette to capture the names.

   Second item is the September approval of September 13, 2013 draft quarterly business meeting minutes and these were included in your packets. The do we have a motion for support?

   >> CAROL:  Motion.

   >> SARA:  Carol made the moment.

   >> KEN:  Support.

   >> SARA:  Any discussion?

Hearing no discussion all those in favor?

   >> Aye.

   >> SARA: Any opposed?

   Motion carries.

   Okay, under operations we have consent agenda and in your packet under the pink tab we have the October meeting minutes from the executive committee meeting and we also have included in the staff operations report. So I'm looking for a motion to accept and place on file the SILC consent agenda.

   >> KEN:  So moved.

   >> SARA: Ken moves.

   >> CONNIE: Second with questioning.

   >> SARA:  What was that?

   >> CONNIE:  Second with question.

   >> SARA: And we will open it up for discussions because you had questions, Connie?

   >> CONNIE:  Yes.

   >> SARA: I was politely reminded when we have discussion on the consent agenda we have to request for move it off the consent agenda so do you want to share which topic we want to discuss and we can move it off the agenda.

   >> CONNIE:  The variation report.

   >> SARA: That is under finances.

   >> CONNIE:  Operations report.

   >> SARA: So I think we need clarification of where the variation report is at. Connie you are thinking it's under the operations report and I believe Val thinks it's under the finance so it's going to be addressed under the finance report is that a sufficient place to discuss it?

   >> CONNIE:  Fine.

   >> SARA: Okay, so we have support a motion in support for accepting the SILC consent agenda, all those in favor?

   >> Aye.

   >> SARA: Any opposed?

   Okay, motion carries.

   I will turn it over to Ken Browde, I have been saying Ken's wrong for 15 years he pointed out to me yesterday. So it's going to take a little bit of time to readjust to this so it's Ken Browde, our esteem treasurer to the Council will be providing us with the financial report.

   >> KEN:  And my mom mispronounced it for 28 years. First of all the fiscal information is in the water melon color of the section, our total program budget is $429,422. Right now the share from MRS is 65% BSBP is 35%. MRS to the tune of $279,124 total is on a monthly reimbursement contract to the BSBP share is $150,298 which is in advance. Right now we have approximately $199,015 and I am going to turn this over to Val to further explain the budget ins and outs here, suffice to say we did not draw down approximately $15,000 of last year's money and the at this point I am going to turn it over to Val but I think it's significant to note that in all of our machinations the money has been taken care of wisely and things are going very well with no significant problems at all. Val will explain the details at this point and thank you.

   >> VAL:  You're welcome. And Ken sort of merged two years into one so I'm going to try to back us up and separate them.

   The first thing under your financial information is the statement of financial activity that reflects last year's operation, it's your fourth quarter, and that was a total Council budget of $443,966.60 of which MRS provided 71%. BSBP provided the balance. As Ken said, MRS is a reimbursement monthly. At the end of our year, when we look at what our projection had been for what the Council approved, we had roughly $15,580.46 that was unencumbered that the executive committee directed us not to encumber or draw down so that is a portion of our money that the Council did not utilize.

   With BSBP, we had $5,089.65 unencumbered. In talking with Laura their decision was not -- because we get an advance with them, we had that money in hand, they indicated we did not need to return it; it was given as a cash advance towards our operations of this year. So in the end it does not increase our budget for this year. It's just a manage -- issue of moving it from one place to another and Connie you had a question on the variation report which deals with last year's finances. I'll try to answer it.

   >> CONNIE:  In the paperwork on the variation report it says they requested we do not prepay and book expenditures as done in previous years. Is this in conflict with when we voted to give you the right to move things around the way that you needed to do?

   >> VAL:  Not at all.

   >> CONNIE:  Okay.

   >> VAL:  What they are referring to and what we were referring to in this is there are some instances where we know what it is and because of cash flow issues and because we have previously been able to get a discount by paying it all at once in advance, we have actually booked it and paid it out of the year that was ending even though when it was the financial review was done it was showing as a prepaid expense and that is what was not done. So, no, it's not doing anything.

   >> CONNIE:  Okay.

   >> SARA: I'm wondering if anybody from the executive committee wanted to address that as well and answer Connie's question as well.

   >> VAL:  As you go through your financial packet the next thing you are going to notice after your variation report is you will see in agreement that is called amendment number two. This is an agreement between the Council on DHS where they have increased our operating budget by roughly $80,109. That covers our SILC operations promissory MRS for October, November and December. It is figured at the 71% that they were reimbursing us last year.

   When the balance of our MRS grant is put together, that will be factored in and reduced to the 65% so we will still be ending up with a $2,014 amount that is what the commitment was from MRS/DHS at the 65% level. Any questions?

   >> STEVE:  Back on the variance report regarding the $15,580, is that money that is carried over to the next fiscal year or is that money that was left unexpended that will revert back.

   >> VAL:  The money -- we did not get the money so it was not carried forward. We did not obligate it so it was never paid to us and, no, it is not carried forward. That money is gone from the MRS point of view. The BSBP $5,085 we had in our possession, we were told to treat that as a cash advance towards this year's grant from them.

>> SARA: So I think that what I'm hearing is that staff need to be commended for under spending the money that was granted to them, that they managed the operations very efficiently and effectively and the nice thing is when you look at the total budget for fiscal 14 it's in line of what the expenditures were in fiscal year 13 so I think what that tells us is that nothing should change significantly in fiscal year 14 even though we saw a reduction in the budget because staff was able to spend the money very efficiently and very effectively so I think that is the point I'm hearing.

   >> VAL:  I hope you are right. It's our plan, how is that?

   The last thing that you have in your financial pack is a copy of a commitment letter with Fairchild level and rice for the SILC financial review. They are the organization that was here and presented to you a year ago. They have done their onsite work and they spent a better part of a day last week with Karen so that is underway. I assume you will have your financial review back in for the February meeting.

   >> STEVE:  A question on that has the SILC ever under gone a financial audit? I know we talked about Federal funds not being able to be used for a financial audit and a financial review is more of a review of the financial statements as opposed to a more in depth audit has SILC had a financial audit and is there a plan to ever do one of those if it has not?

   >> VAL:  To my knowledge while I have been here, no, I'm not aware of a full financial audit. There has been discussion from time to time about should we look at having one. And, one, we have never been able to figure out how to come up with the money to do it because we only have our to funders being MRS and BSBP, we cannot use our Federal money to pay for a financial audit so it has to come out of our limited GFGP and if we use that for a financial audit and then we are talking probably $5,000-$6,000 or more, that is coming out of our we are talking more than $5 or $6,000 and comes out of GFGP and money not used as match by the organization. There have been conversations over the years with both MRS and BSBP who have never felt the need for us to do a full audit. What has happened on occasion is in addition to our financial review, it has been I want to say a hybrid financial review to the extent that occasionally certain areas that we don't know ahead of time are actually tested, so they look at one thing one year being salaries, another thing another year being something else. And that was something that the Council is comfortable with at that point in time.

   >> STEVE:  GFGP dollars can be used for a financial audit?

   >> VAL:  Yes, as long as it's agreed upon and as long as we have agreement from our funders to do that. Because when they give it to us, it's there for us to cover some of the expenses that might come up that are not allowable for Federal dollars and they do indicate in both of our agreements that we can use our GFGP for a financial review. It has never indicated an audit. We do not reach the Federal dollar level which allows us to use Federal money on an audit. We don't have a half million dollars of Federal money coming into us.

   >> STEVE:  That is a Federal single audit. But in terms of a financial audit, could you find out with the DSU in conversations on whether or not that would be a possibility for the future sometime down the road, to do a financial audit as opposed to a financial review and perhaps executive committee could discuss that.

   >> SARA: Thank you, Steve. I think the question with the transition from MRS to DHS, and, Lou, you may want to answer this, did anything change in how your contractual agreements work with SILC?

And there are sub recipient contracts and didn't know if there was changes in how the SILC contract is being defined.

   >> LOU:  Well, we talked about the biggest change which is that is a reimbursement approach. And Denise can answer this better than I can but other than that I don't think that there are any significant changes to the way that the contracting is being done, it's being done following the state of Michigan contracting rules and regulations. The GFGP for a financial audit I think is certainly something that can be discussed. I think I can't speak for Ed Rogers from the Bureau of services to the blind but we certainly would want to hear the rationale on what we would hope to be accomplished by that. And what way it would be useful. But certainly willing to hear and discuss that idea.

   >> VAL:  Steve, one of the things and I don't know what is in the CIL boilerplate, but the boilerplate language in our DHS agreement basically says they don't-they do not request a financial review from us because of the dollar amount that we get. But because it's in our work plan, we are doing it and giving it to them, so I think that is something that we would be needing to look at too versus what is the DHS requirement and what is -- what they are willing to allow and what MRS is willing to allow.

   >> SARA: So it sounds to me, severe, we want to place this as an action item for the executive item is to continue discussing the need for a full financial audit and in lieu of a financial review and what rationale would we have and present that -- discuss that with Val and then determine next steps from there, so that would be an action item for executive committee.

   Are there any other questions or discussions on the financial report?

   Okay, hearing no questions, Lisa did you join us on the phone?

   You may be on mute but I think I heard somebody else come on so if it's not Lisa on the phone did somebody else on the phone join us that would like to announce themselves?

   >> LISA:  I am here Sara and I'm on mute.

   >> SARA: Be careful because I know you are driving and Lisa cook Gordon is present for our meeting. Thank you, Lisa.

   >> LISA:  You are welcome.

   >> SARA: A motion to place on file the fiscal year 2013 fourth quarter SILC financial report.

   >> CONNIE:  I'll make the motion.

   >> SARA: Connie makes the motion.

   >> CAROL:  Second.

   >> SARA: Carol and Lisa seconds, all in favor.

   >> Aye.

   >> SARA: Any opposed?

And I do believe I did that order wrong, I know we had discussion I think before the motion was put on the table so I apologize.

   Okay, the next item on the agenda is the state plan. So I'm going to turn this over to Kellie.

   >> KELLIE:  The committee of the whole met last night and we reviewed the final monitoring report for the SPIL for fiscal years 2011-2013 and the committee of the whole accepted the draft report that we reviewed. It was for those of you that don't know what a monitoring report is it had 18 performance target force the SPIL and a very thorough document and a lot of lively discussion and it's a job well done for IL.

   And I don't know did everyone get a copy of the report?

   >> VAL:  Yes.

   >> KELLIE:  So everyone should have a copy of the report. I'm under the Peach tab in your packet, fiscal year 2014-2016 SPIL is being professionally printed. If anyone is requesting hard copies see Val for those.

   Also in your packet SILC standards and indicators developed at the SILC Congress 2004, this is just included for reference or did you have anything else to report on this, Val?

   >> VAL:  No.

   >> KELLIE:  Just reference, sounds good.

   And the last thing is workgroup reports and the three workgroups met this morning and I guess we can have a representative from each group just do a brief synopsis of what was discussed this morning.

   >> KEN:  Ken Browde with the transportation workgroup. And we successfully received our survey data from the CILs. We had a reasonably good response and this is what could gently be described as a long-term process. As a result of the survey data, we are now mining the various publically accessible resources to determine which of the 83 counties actually have public transportation resources and what communities those resources serve.

   So our goal is to have each of our members for lack of a better word data mine various resources such as Michigan transportation, MDOT, things like that and then we will come back in February to share our findings and develop additional questions to ask for our main meeting. What we are trying to do is three fold. Number one, clearly identify which counties have any transportation at all, public or private. Second, identify if those transportation services are available, do they serve our constituencies and, three, if they are not available publically are they available privately and what cost and what barriers and then we are going to take that into our main meeting and further refine the information that we have to accumulate. A lot of regards and I'm not being facetious this is like the Winnie the Pooh process.  And, Robin, did I miss anything?

   >> ROBIN:  No, just that we are looking at who has what and especially who doesn't have anything.

   >> KEN:  That is about it for our group. Thank you.

   >> KELLIE:  Do we have any one to report youth and family services.

   >> MIRANDA:  Lisa has notes.

   >> SARA: Are you comfortable sharing a recap of the workgroup you are involved in over the phone, Lisa?

   >> LISA:  Can you repeat that.

   >> SARA: Would you like to deliver the recap of your workgroup while you're driving?

   >> LISA:  I think it must be best if Collette or Miranda or Rebecca did that.

   >> SARA: Colette had to leave due to a crisis back at the office so Miranda.

   >> MIRANDA:  Colette took her notes with her and I don't know if my voice will hold up, we received information back from the data surveys and had 10 out of the 15 CILs respond and we found that of those 10 they are providing services to youth and family which we found encouraging.

   One of the other questions on there was what other information do you need and so now we are focusing on that and we are going to meet January 6 I believe and each of us in the members is going to bring three resources that we feel would be important for the general public to know and then we are also going to take a look at SILC's website and I know Val sent an e-mail out earlier, however, not all of us had responded and so we are going to take time and we are going to look at that to better provide a response to Val and staff on updates for the SILC website. That is what I can remember. Did I miss anything, Rebecca?

   >> REBECCA:  No, you covered everything.

   >> KELLIE:  Service delivery and I think Rodney is the best person to deliver our report.

   >> RODNEY:  Our group has been taking a look at data from BSBP, from the CIL network, from MRS and some information from DHS. And earlier we were able to show at the last Council meeting that we could map some of this data on to the state and the attempt here is to take a look at where there are service gaps and where there is things possibly being missed. Some of the preliminary data that we have taken a look at is this is an example, it's visual unfortunately but this is an example of Oakland county in Michigan and one of the prosperity regions and this information is showing, zoom in to it again, this information is showing services mapped by zip code. And what that is doing is we are taking a look at where are the MRS services, where are the DHS service and where are the CILs mapped on top of each other. We are going to combine this with the census data that Ken spoke of last night for the people who were here at last night's meeting and look at where the trends are and are the services reaching where individuals with disabilities are living?

   We've had some interesting looks at some of the data. What we are seeing in some of it right now is that in some of the more urban areas we are seeing the CIL and MRS data grow and then when we go out in the rural areas we are seeing DHS data take over. So we are seeing some trends in that. At the next meeting we are going to map it with population information and then start to make some bullet point assessments as to what we are actually seeing with the data. That would be pretty much where we are at.

   >> KELLIE:  Thank you, Rodney.

   >> VAL:  I have a question, Rodney. But you may need to put your mic down before I ask it so you don't throw it at me.

   >> KEN:  I'll take it Rodney.

   >> VAL:  The maps are awesome and I realize they are basically, give him the gavel, thanks, put my hand out I realize they are basically visual but as the group moves along and we are closer to needing to finalize this, how -- what is our plan as staff for making sure that this is accessible for everyone and not just visual?

   >> RODNEY:  The visual portion of this is being used right now because in all honesty the trends become much more definitive when you can see them and I understand that that is an accessibility issue. What the hope would be is when we issue some of our bullet points and some of our results with that is that that would not be a visual report, that that would be something that would have narrative and numbers attached to it that would have a much better accessibility level.

   Right now the way that the maps are being utilized does lend to an accessibility issue and we have not really discussed that as a group. But it is something that we can also address as a group as well.

   >> VAL:  Thank you.

   >> STEVE:  As part of the group I want to applaud Rodney and all the effort he has put into creating these maps. I think that the final report is going to be in written format and I think that is the intent of the group and we are being very cautious not to cause causality from what these maps are showing. I think that the data that has been supplied, this is the first run at it based on zip codes and we need to go back to the groups that supply the data based on what these look like and the patterns that we are seeing and making sure that we are not drawing any causation stories from that because there are multiple variables we realize that are probably behind what this visualization looks like and before anything like that is extrapolated out, all groups need to be at the table because there are stories behind these numbers that may not be known in the group that is working on this. So I just wanted to asterisk that and we are cognizant of that.

   >> SARA: Rodney, I have a question, you may have answered it so I apologize if it's a duplicative statement but the colors you have yellow and red and blue, and in the charts, what do the colors indicate?

   >> RODNEY:  In that particular chart yellow would indicate data from MRS. Red would indicate data from DHS. Blue would indicate data from the CIL network and then green would be the data for BSBP. So that is kind of showing one of the trends that we are seeing and it's somewhat anecdotal so we have not dug into it deeper but seeing around the more urban areas we see MRS and CIL data be very consistent and very workable and when we go out into the rural zip codes we see DHS data start to grow and take over so we are analyzing in preparing questions to look at that, why that is happening.

   >> SARA: As the CILs engage and in their -- continue to engage in the strategic alliance with MRS and launching regional meeting with the Bureau of services for blind persons we should see some changes in how those numbers are depicted on those graphs in the future?

   >> RODNEY:  In the future I would expect to, this is fiscal 2012 so it is -- we would expect over time that that would show its success.

   >> SARA:  Thank you.

   Kellie, anything else on your report?

Any further questions for Kellie?

Okay, I can't see to my direct right so if you raise your hand and I don't see you holler my name please. So I'm looking for a motion to place the state plan report on file.

   >> CONNIE:  Make the motion.

   >> SARA: Connie makes the motion.

   >> MIRANDA:  Second.

   >> SARA: So a couple seconds Miranda or Robin and I keep screwing this up because we are supposed to have discussion after the motions.

   >> STEVE:  Discussion on the motion so it's okay to have it before.

   >> SARA: Is there any further discussion?

Okay, all those in favor.

   >> Aye.

   >> SARA: Any opposed?

   Okay, that motion carries to place that on file.

   Okay, we are about five minutes ahead so at this point we are scheduled to have our lunch presentation from Chris Rodriguez from the employment first in Michigan and Chris is with Michigan protection advocacy and I think what we typically do and Val can correct me is we typically go get our lunch, come back and sit down and then we invite our guests to start presenting to us.

   >> VAL:  I will check and see if it's ready.

   >> SARA: At this point we are breaking and we will let you know when lunch is ready and we will reconvene at Noon exactly.

   [Recess]

   >> Lunch is served if you go to your right and immediate left will be where lunch is served and help yourself because we will get started right at Noon again.

   [Recess]

   >> SARA: I learned today we have a birthday in the room and it's actually a birthday of one of our newest members so Rebecca, happy, happy birthday.

[Applause]

So maybe we can sing-happy birthday day to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Rebecca, happy birthday to you. [Applause] so in five minutes we will have Chris get ready to present to us, okay?

Okay, we are going to get restarted. All you guys know with every Council meeting we want to bring a guest speaker in to educate us on the latest initiatives or topics that are of interest to us and Chris is here, Chris works for Michigan protection and advocacy services and I had the pleasure of collaborating with him with a few things so far and he will talk about employment first and I will let Chris tell you about how it developed and more about himself but I need to get you a microphone.

   >> CHRIS:  Okay, I appreciate the opportunity to talk to you about some of the things going on in employment and not just Michigan but across the United States and I'm Chris Rodriguez the director of public affairs and media relations for Michigan protection and advocacy and spent time doing consulting down in Washington with a few of the national disability organizations, primarily concentrating on their initiatives related to advancing employment among folks with disabilities across the United States.

   To give you a quick background of kind of the movement of what has been going on for the last couple years, as far as the disability community is concerned, a lot of energy and a lot of momentum has been put behind employment is kind of the new frontier as to what should be tackled across the United States in terms of advancing the rights and privileges and independence of people with disabilities, specifically developmental disabilities.

   You will see several different entities on the national level, putting various different kinds of resources into this initiative. You will see the department of labor has issued grants over the last couple years specifically to do pilot programs across the country to try and advance integrated and competitive employment among folks with disabilities. The president has issued executive orders related to increasing the number of folks with disabilities in the workforce not only in general but also anything that has to do with government contracts. You will notice that the governor's association, this was a large one, Governor Merkle, I forget, what state is Governor Merkle from, does anybody know, somewhere in the northeast. Anyway the governor association is basically an association comprised of the different governors from across the United States and the chair is Governor Merkle and serves a term of one year and during that year the chair gets to kind of educate and take charge of an initiative of his or her choice. Last year Governor Merkle who is the current chair decided to take on employment issues as they relate to folks with disabilities so you see a lot of information coming down from that initiative. He also has a document called a blue print towards employment. In which that he published I believe a few months ago and you can look that up.

   The help committee which is the United States Senate committee for health, education, pensions and health education labor and pension chaired by one of our great champions Senator Harkin from the state of Iowa is putting more energy behind employment issues and he hazard been a great champion and always supported employment initiatives but I feel as though he really put that at the forefront of his agenda. Unfortunately he will be retiring but this fight will continue.

   So as we see a lot of things going on in different states tackling this issue with different means of ways to tackle and some of them are looking into it in pilot programs and some states are tackling this from a legislative standpoint and some states are issuing executive orders through their governor and some states are filing litigation to make sure the proper resources particularly financially are going towards more integrated settings as opposed to places that are conventionally known as sheltered workshop and studies are popping up every day.

   What is going on here in Michigan and how can we be a part of this initiative and how can we take advantage of some of the momentum that is being created on the national level and in other states?

   Michigan has always been at least from my understanding of the history granted I've only been here about a year and a half has always been on the side of being a more progressive state in respects to rights of folks with disabilities, certainly I think one of the greater accomplishments is the fact this state, unlike some other states, does not have any institution, state run institutions, residential facilities for folks with developmental disabilities and integration has been on the for front in the minds of the powers that be in the state of Michigan to make sure that folks with disabilities are being and have proper resource to get as much independence as possible in integrated settings.

   Now we take it that and apply it towards employment and try and figure out how we can make sure that people with disabilities, all kinds of disabilities, mental illness and physical disabilities are provided the proper resources to allow them the opportunity to engage in integrated, competitive employment alongside their typically abled peers in the community.

   So as we were thinking about that a group that was primarily spearheaded by the DD Council came together and we created a sub group of a number of different organizations and we started to figure out how do we start this movement here in Michigan. We decided to put together basically a mission statement and some language around what employment should look like for folks with disabilities here in the state of Michigan.

   And that is how we developed this employment first mission and principles which is the primary document that I'm going to try and walk you through today. I think everybody should have received that in their packet and hopefully you had a chance to briefly look it over and if you didn't I encourage you to take a look at it in the next few days and we will go over it today and this is not a lecture so if you have questions as we go through this please feel free to just blurt it out.

   So I'm going to take you through here. It starts out with the mission and the mission of employment of Michigan is to establish the expectation and promote opportunities for all working aged citizens with disabilities in Michigan to gain individual, integrated employment and engage businesses to value the contributions that employees with disabilities bring to the organizations. Individuals with disabilities in the workforce promote diversity, increased talent in the field and tax base and lower poverty rates and achieving this mission will enhance the employment, landscape to enable Michigan to compete with other states to bring in high demand businesses and jobs. So that is kind of the mission behind the employment first language that we have put together, basically providing opportunities for folks with disabilities to contribute to the workforce in a meaningful way, to commandeer appropriate wages and to do all that with integrated settings.

   And then we wanted to point out this is not only -- this is clearly going to help folks with disabilities create advanced independence, create self-esteem through their contributions in the workplace, help them create a better social kind of circumstance, I mean think about all the benefits that we gain through employment, our social environment is created there to some extent, our independence and our financial independence is created there, a lot of people I feel like gain self-worth and meaning through their occupations but not the only way but it's a contributing factor and are great things but we wanted to highlight what people with disabilities bring to different businesses as well. The Meijer Corporation is being highlighted right now as far as their efforts in creating integrated competitive employment for folks with disabilities. And when asked the question of from the CEO and the developers at Meijer the higher up executives why did you do this and the motivation behind it it's good for the bottom line financially having folks with disabilities increases diversity of our employees, helps our managers understand and develop different tools on management. Their turn over rates is a lot less than they were previously or they are expecting them to be. And this is just good business decisions.

   So we also wanted to highlight that.

   So moving forward that was the mission of the employment first language. We will move into the more specific language and it's important to remember that this is just kind of a framework and there is nothing in stone here. So it's more kind of broad strokes that can -- that we can use to guide us as we move forward.

   The next portion is a little more specific, we wanted to make sure that people understood what employment first met, what are the principles and what are the foundations and that kind of are founded within employment first language. So we wanted to start out by saying that one of the guiding principles or one of the first one is individual integrated employment is the first and preferable outcome for individuals with disabilities regardless of the level or type of disability.

   So this means that as services are constructed as funds are being appropriated in the state as education moves forward, as they try to develop skills related to employment in the education system that the preferable and the first outcome for these folks or folks with disabilities should be integrated employment. That's not to say that there are not going to be folks that could possibly be more appropriately served in more segregated day type facilities, but this is really meant to change kind of the perspective in which this should be the first thing, the first option that is explored.

   So we wanted to dive into a little more specifically and put some definitions underneath that. So what is employment or what is integrated employment in the paper?

It means that individuals, individual means individuals not a group or an enclave and this is individual employment. Also integrated means alongside individuals without disabilities. Employment means a job available in the general workforce and in which the employee is included on the payroll of the business or industry or is a self-employed business owner.

   So by this definition situations in which folks are being provided vocational training or I guess you could consider it jobs in places like community rehab centers that are working on contracts, if that individual's paycheck is not coming directly from the employer and it's coming through the community rehab facility then we would not consider it to be the preferable outcome, we want folks to be integrated as much as possible and being paid by their employer just like anybody else would.

   Secondly employees with disabilities are compensated at or above the minimum wage but not less than the commiserate of wage by the same or similar work performed by individuals without disabilities and we are currently conducting a study and done a lot of work with the DD Council, the developmental disabilities institute at Wayne state and our organization Michigan Protection Agency can to figure out what exactly is going on in terms of C 14 waivers and self-minimum wage in Michigan and we are at the beginning of analyzing all that information but our preliminary numbers suggest that there is about over -- there is a little over 8,000 folks with disabilities in the state of Michigan that are being paid sub minimum wages at an average of $2.75 per hour. That is unacceptable and certainly not what we would consider to be successful under the principles that are being laid out here in the employment first language.

   As we analyze those numbers further we will write a report hopefully in the next few months. And we will get into more specific issues and more specific numbers but we wanted to make sure that that was a caveat, not a caveat but a qualification for what we deem meaningful employment to be and employment first to be.

   We also wanted to include employees with disabilities have the right to accommodation as necessary to achieve and maintain employment with the focus on the use of natural and current supports, this is something we wanted to reiterate and make sure that businesses were aware that folks with disabilities have the right to appreciate accommodation so that they can fulfill their responsibilities and thought it was important to reiterate.

   Number four is employment services and are developed using processes that align with the principles of person on centered planning, self-determination and informed choice based on the individual's talents, skills and interests. I think too many times we are finding that kind of the old way of doing things kind of went out there and find the job and then tried to put that person in that job and then we scratched our heads and wondered why that individual was not performed the way we wanted them to perform.

   And I think that leads to less productive individuals that are not happy because you are basically saying we found this job you will do that job and this is how that is going to work as opposed to really spending substantial amounts of time and understanding what that individual wants to do and understanding the challenges that that person might have in understanding the unique abilities of that individual and then finding a job that best suits their needs and not saying this is being done throughout the state but we just wanted to make sure that that is at the forefront of finding people employment, making sure that it's out there interests and making sure that it's up there -- that we do the proper accommodations if it's something they are interested in but need some help with, are provided in the amount, duration and intensities that allow persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities to work the maximum hours consistent with their abilities in an integrated employment setting.

   So we wanted to make sure that we are looking on getting people with disabilities employment that we are looking at -- we are defining employment as real employment, not a situation which an individual happens to work and let's say a segregated environment for three or four hours a week and we will call the employment and check the box off. We want to make sure the first and preferable outcome and it's important to remember we are not saying the other situations can't occur but that the first and preferable outcome will align with this criteria to make sure those are -- the individual is allowed to work as much as that individual can.

   That is 35 hours, if that is 40 hours or 20 hours, we just want to make sure we are understanding that individual's abilities and ensuring that they get the opportunity to contribute as much as they feel comfortable doing.

   Next, may include career exaggeration, job discovery and document and job carving and coaching and job training and benefits counseling and job service and job customization and these are some suggested different avenues in which an individual can take advantage of in order to find meaningful, integrated employment in the community. These are just areas that we would consider to be extremely beneficial and certainly avenues towards establishing the goal of employment.

   Lastly number five implementation of employment first must be based on clear public policies and practices that ensure employment opportunities of individuals with disabilities within the general workforce and is the priority of public funding and service delivery.

   This is kind of a statement that we wanted to put into kind of try and put more momentum behind this particular language saying that just because the DD Council may have adopted this, it's being supported by other organizations doesn't mean that is the end game there and we want to take this language into the departments and have them develop it or not develop it but adopt it and then implement it. The principles that have been written up here and right now we are working with the legislature or several different departments to get their opinions on it and see if we can't get them to support the language. That way we can actually see the words on this paper actually come to fruition or start to come to fruition through practices and policies that are carried forth throughout the state.

   We are looking at other states as we move forward with this. Each state has its own individual circumstances, political environments, different considerations aspects and characteristics, some states are moving this forward like I said through legislation and some are strictly doing it through more of bureaucratic policies and some states are doing it through executive orders through the governor, some states are pushing it towards the courts and litigation. I think all of these are interesting ways to move forward. I think that's going to take a lot of discussion around the table around different stakeholders and different individuals and agencies to determine what is the most beneficial avenue for the State of Michigan. And I think you will find different opinions when you go down there and I think I don't think there is any harm in document whatsoever. I think there is a lot of challenges as different departments in the state and organizations start to adopt it and you figure out okay we all agree that integrated, meaningful employment for folks with disabilities is where we want to go and we agree on all these principles but how are we going to get there I think is going to be the difficult part and it always is with any strong policies that are -- any strong initiatives that are moving forward and I think that is a bumpy road but without everybody investing in these types of philosophies we can't build on that.

   That is where we are at now and I can take any kinds of questions.

   >> KEN:  Ken Browde, first of all, great work and keep it up. Has the Social Security Administration ticket to work been of any benefit to your efforts?

   >> CHRIS:  I don't know a lot of the history. I know the program and I know from a Federal level. I think in order to accomplish this I think there is going to be several different after news and I think that is certainly one that can help bolster the end game which is getting folks with disabilities into integrated employment opportunities. So I don't think it's prohibitive by any means, I think it's something that we have to continue and that has to adapt along with these policies. And of course there is going to be other issues. I mean let's say we can change all of this tomorrow and we could get all the folks making at least minimum wage, what does that do to their eligibility for their supports and services?

So all this, I mean there is a lot of moving parts and able act on the Federal level and ticket to work programs and looking at the Medicaid buy in programs and Medicaid expansion, there is no sense in elevating folks to a financial environment which would prohibit them from being eligible for the sports and services that allow them to get that job in the first place. So I think programs like that certainly need to be in place. But need to move along and need to, I shouldn't say move along but need to evolve along with the current language here.

   >> KEN:  Thank you.

   >> SARA: Does anybody else have any questions?

Connie does.

   >> CONNIE:  You are from Michigan.

   >> CHRIS:  No, I'm from Texas.

   >> CONNIE:  I mean now.

   >> Chris:  Yes.

   >> CONNIE:  I sat in on Bobby Silverstein a couple weeks ago and we were talking and you were talking about phasing out minimum the sub minimum wage. I know he came across with a lot of recommendations for us to get a hold of our senators and representatives because that is one of the things that is sitting idle down in D.C. along with.

   >> CHRIS:  Workforce investment act and reauthorization.

   >> CONNIE:  Quite a few things and it's not moving, nothing we are working for is actually moving.

   >> CHRIS:  I don't think anything anybody's working for is moving in Congress.

   >> CONNIE:  Usually 500 passed by now.

   >> CHRIS:  That is where Congress is right now but it doesn't mean we shouldn't keep working towards these things. As far as sub minimum wage goes, some of the work that we are doing currently to gather all that information is just going to be to kind of paint a more articulate picture of the employment circumstances for folks with disabilities here in Michigan as opposed to really trying to change any of that currently because that is a Federal issue and we are kind of concentrating on what we can do to change what is going on in Michigan right now. That's not to say that we are not also involved in a lot of the organizations are also involved in Federal legislation such as the authorization of the workforce investment act which is talking about do agree lot of different things with voc rehab and moving it from one department to another and it consults 14 C waivers and similar to what this language does, does everybody know what a 14 C waiver is?

   We will go over them real briefly. A 14 C waiver is a waiver that can get a nonprofit or for profit, whatever to pay an individual with disabilities under minimum wage based on the level of productivity of that person. That is what that does. It's been around since the 1930s I believe. It was originally established to try and increase employment opportunities for Veterans coming back from World War I and II that lost a limb or were unfortunately rendered disabled because of their service but it still exists today and it's a big issue. There has been legislation filed on the Federal level to do away with it completely. I believe that was filed by a Congressman out of California. That is not going anywhere currently. That is not expected to go anywhere. But it is being addressed with the workforce investment act, reauthorization that is currently made its way through the Senate committee on health, education labor and pensions. But what we are finding right now is even as beneficial legislation goes through the Federal process you are seeing such different ideology coming out of the Senate and coming out of the house and they can each pass it but they are so far apart that there is very little chance they will be able to reconcile when they do a conference committee. But as far as the workforce investment act we are watching that and hoping it picks up more momentum after the holidays but you are absolutely right it's a difficult situation.

   One of the ways we are trying to address sub minimum wage here in Michigan is the fact that the sub minimum wage if you have the waiver it's based on the level of productivity of the individual. So for example if I let's say if I'm putting together a widget and they find somehow and this all has to be documented on how they do this, I am the typical, typically abled individual doing this job and I can put together ten widgets in an hour and I make $10 an hour and then you bring in a person with a disability and do the same job and the wage is set at $10 an hour but they can only build five widgets per hour. So under this, if they have 14 C waiver then you can legally pay that person $5 an hour, right, because their productivity is 50% or what I do, I'm the benchmark, the typical individual. Now how do we get past that without changing the law or while the law is being changed?

What we need to do and gets done through principles is find the individual a job which that can be more productive and it's not matching people up with jobs that don't meet their skills and don't meet their motivations and what they basically want to do. My boss and I have this conversation all the time. If you put me into a position of mechanical engineer I'm going to perform very, very poorly because number one I don't like engineering and I don't have the skill set to perform that job. But put me into something that I enjoy and something I'm trained to do and something that I'm motivated to do and I perform much better. If you abide by these principles here, I think you will find that taking place at a greater propensity therefore people won't be qualified for the sub minimum wages because their productivity levels will be on par with that particular individual.

   So I don't know if that answered your question.

   >> CONNIE:  Well, I had main but I wanted everybody else to know what was going on.

   >> CHRIS:  Things are being followed and not to say issues we elated to folks with disability are not moving on the Federal level because we have the conventions for CRPD conventions on the rights of persons with disabilities and the treaty is moving forward and seeing the able act, able act basically is a piece of legislation that would establish basically like a personal trust that would allow folks with disabilities to earn money that would not be counted into their eligibility for their Medicaid I believe, would not support services in that so that is a huge thing with employment because again we wants to make sure these folks don't lose their benefits because we are giving the opportunity to make money but not enough money to cover a lot of the specific and all too often expensive types of supports and services they may require.

   >> SARA: I thought I saw a hand on my side of the table and I will keep my mic just to keep control and I think Miranda you had a comment; I know I personally have a comment as well.

   >> ROBIN:  Robin Bennett. What about the pool of individuals who you can search all day for a job that fits their skills, but they might -- they might only fit in this sort of environment that a sheltered workshop provides. Is employment first proposing completely getting rid of sub minimum wage payments?

I mean, is that going to then get rid of those options for individuals with a low enough or with skills that are in the lower range so that is all that they are -- found they are capable of doing, are those going to be gone?

   >> CHRIS:  That is a good question and a point of argument and where the rubber hits the road and flare-ups and there is nothing in the language to suggest that any of those things are going away. This language says specifically is that integrated, competitive employment would be the first and preferred outcome. But that there would be other options but just that those are not the go-to options. We are trying to change what this language -- what we are perceiving now is what we have seen in the past is typically the presumption that they will not be able to work but some will and great examples and we want to try and turn that around and said presumption should be that people with disabilities can work, might there be individuals that unfortunately are more appropriately served in places like sheltered workshop?

   Maybe, but we wants to make sure that as these people, as these folks are getting out of the education system or while they are in the education system that people are expecting them to work because when you base your expectations so low it isn't surprising when you find that, wow, the unemployment rate for folks with disabilities is at 27% or something like that, not unemployment, the employment rate is at 27% because the expectation is that these folks are not going to work but when you base the expectations that these folks will work I think you will see that rise greatly and to where that hopefully would become more of the norm rather than the exception. But to answer your question in the language there is nothing that says those places are not going to exist anymore although I have to say that the bottom part here, when it says implementation of employment first must be based on clear public policies and practices that ensure employment opportunities of individuals with disabilities within the general workforce and is the priority for public funding and service delivery. That gets a little tricky. So what that is going to say is we are doing studies right now that would suggest that a majority of our money that goes to helping folks find employment is getting geared towards finding these people employed in segregated settings. So by adopting this to a certain extent you could expect more funding would be flowing into making sure that folks get integrated employment as opposed to folks getting sheltered employment. But, again, it's not taking an option off the table right now.

   >> ROBIN:  And for what I have seen from individuals like -- what I've seen with parents of children with developmental disabilities, they just want the option on the table. If that is the best option for their child or their adult child they just want the option to remain to be there. But I agree with this, it should be the go-to that they can work and they can be able to integrate every person with a disability can be and then from there you work with an individual on what is best for them.

   >> CHRIS:  Right, exactly, I don't think any of the language would go anywhere if we said we are shutting down sheltered workshops, period. My brother in Texas attends a day half sheltered workshop place every day and I think those places hold value specifically probably more so because there is just nothing out there for folks with disabilities once you get out of the education system and they do allow a social setting to make friends and things like that but that is not to say those types of benefits that come from those couldn't come from a conventional, integrated employment setting.

   >> SARA:  Miranda.

   >> MIRANDA:  In my day job I work for a center for independent living and we are in the process, our board is adopting this language, we are just waiting for a final vote that will come this month and not expecting any problems. So I know at my local CIL we are looking at this and it came about from a phone call from a local consumer who realized he was making less than $1 an hour and working with somebody making minimum wage and he didn't think it was fair and so we are looking at it now and I got assigned to the case and we are looking at other options and he has now chose tone be a volunteer, not with us, he found another place and said he would rather volunteer than earn less than $1 an hour because he thought he was being made fun of and he finds more value in his life volunteering and so if I can get your contact and keep in touch we have some research too we have been doing. Thank you very much for the information. I think it was very good and something we all need to be aware of.

   >> SARA: The blessing and curse that I have on this Council is I don't represent my employer. I represent, I'm a person with a disability and represent that group so I am not speaking on behalf of CILs at this moment, so for those of my bosses in the room, preface it with that. I had the pleasure of sitting on a meeting on Wednesday where we had some really great dialog around this and really vetted some things out and some national experts to the table and Bobby Silverstein was one of them and Chris, and others from the economic Justice group did a phenomenal job in representing this initiative.

   As I walked away from it I had a few thoughts and I really felt like I needed to throw them out at this moment is I think the preface of what we are doing is awesome and aligns with independent living and we want to go and included in the communities, we want to see people paid a fair wage. I'm tired of seeing people paid at a reduced wage. $1, $2 is bullshit and we have been working so many years to get people with disabilities to be valued as equal contributors in our community and we are allowing people to pay less than minimum wage, we are supporting that. At the same time I happen to have wonderful partners in community rehabilitation organizations and I think they do phenomenal work. I think we can continue to have those organizations to fill a service need in our communities because of the alternative, if we are shutting those down the alternative is people go home and sit home and do nothing all day while we did a really bad thing. But the fact is we need to create systems where we can get people to be paid at least a minimum wage.

   I do and Chris heard in the other day from a couple other groups but I do take exception to principle 1 C and where it defines employment being as being paid by the employer, that business. When you look at the trends and the number of people that are employed through staffing agencies, employers, even like Dow within my own community that start people out through Kelly Services or Manpower and if that was a person with a disability what we are saying is that it doesn't count as integrated employment because they are being paid by a staffing agency. I don't think that that is the intent of what this is but it could be interpreted as that.

   I have a few notes so excuse me a second. The other point I wanted to say is we have to continue to work with organizations like Meijer, like Walgreen's, like Dow chemical and Dow Corning and Kellie could name a few businesses who are understanding what it means to hire qualified people in their workplace and leading this in Michigan and it's going to be very critical that we find more and more businesses to hire people because they are the demand side of the economic equation. We can do everything in our power to help people with disabilities prepare for employment but unless there are jobs available to them and corporations are embracing their diversity practices to be inclusive of people with disabilities, all the work that we are doing is we are not moving the bar and not making a big difference and I'm so excited to have been a part of several initiatives over the last few years where employers are really stepping up and being great leaders.

   But, Chris, I commend you guys on this, this is awesome. You got the conversation going through this. And I don't know so putting my work hat back on and the CILs individually like Miranda said may be adopting this but as a network we will be discussing it on December 16th and we are excited to be a part of this conversation, so thank you.