[nfbmi-talk] another bep location down?

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Dec 4 17:21:22 UTC 2013

Michigan Senate seeks to sell Farnum Building in Lansing By Kathleen Gray Detroit Free Press Lansing Bureau The Farnum Building  an 11-story office building

across the street from the state Capitol and used by state Senators for their Lansing offices  could be put up for sale under a bill approved on 22-14

vote Wednesday. Senate Majority Leader Randy Richardville, a Monroe Republican who sponsored the legislation, has complained about the building s inconsistent

heating and air-conditioning with temperatures ranging from 58 to 88 degrees and lingering issues with asbestos. ? “We ‘ve got a crappy building right now.”

The building has a lot of problems he said, adding he s heard estimates of $24 million to upgrade the building. The bill would authorize the Secretary

of State to put the building up for sale at fair market value with the proceeds going to the state Senate to come up with a replacement office space. The

state bought the building in 1978 for $3 million. It recently was appraised for $5.4 million, according to a fiscal analysis of the bill, along with an

adjacent parking lot valued at $225,000. Richardville said he s had some preliminary discussions with Lansing developers Joel Ferguson and Ron Boji about

other possible locations. The vote was mostly along party lines with Republicans supporting the sale and Democrats opposing. Sen. Gretchen Whitmer, D-East

Lansing, said she questions why the decision is being made.  Is this being conservative fiscally? she said. ? I just hope that when it comes down to

it, that requests for proposals are issued and we follow the rules of transparency.? The bill now moves to the state House for consideration.