[nfbmi-talk] more i can connect

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Tue Dec 10 16:53:44 UTC 2013

December 10 2013 Expenditures on I Can Connect

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 48458

joeharcz at comcast.net

To: Edward F. Rodgers II

(Mich) Bureau of Services for Blind Persons

(via e-mail)

Dear Mr. Rodgers,

I, and Mr. Marcuss Simmons, and indeed others have asked you over and over again about your administration of what is commonly called the “I Can Connect Program” for Deaf Blind persons in the State of Michigan. We’ve been greeted with obfiscations and with insane charges made under your abuse of the FOIA in getting simple answers to simple questions. Regardless, note the following from BSBP’s expense report for FY 2013 which I had to get through a State Representative (and which I requested from you many times before):

“Index/Desc AObj Grp/Desc AObj/Desc Expenditures GAAP & Encumb

36220 - BSBP NATIONAL DEAF-BLIND EQUIP DIST PROG 01 SALARIES AND WAGES 3010 REGULAR HOURS 1ST SHIFT CL $1,340.50

01 SALARIES AND WAGES Sum: $1,340.50

Index/Desc AObj Grp/Desc AObj/Desc Expenditures GAAP & Encumb

02 LONGEVITY AND INSURANCE 3410 CIV SERV PLAN HEALTH INSURANCE REG HA CL $168.88

3420 HMO'S & PPO'S - CLASS EMP $106.66

3545 CIV SERV PLAN DENTAL INSURANCE REG DB CL $23.83

3560 CIVIL SERV PLAN VISION INSURANCE VB CL $3.13

3565 CIVIL SERV PLAN LTD INSURANCE IA CL $9.11

3570 CIVIL SERV PLAN LIFE INSURANCE REG LU CL $14.27

02 LONGEVITY AND INSURANCE Sum: $325.88

Index/Desc AObj Grp/Desc AObj/Desc Expenditures GAAP & Encumb

03 RETIREMENT AND FICA 3345 SS TAX NON EARLY OUT 5 YR PMT CL $84.46

3355 MEDICARE TAX NON EARLY OUT 5 YR PMT CL $19.75

3365 RETIREMENT CL $58.37

3367 DEF CONT PENSION PLAN CLASSIFIED EMPLOY $21.06

03 RETIREMENT AND FICA Sum: $183.64

Index/Desc AObj Grp/Desc AObj/Desc Expenditures GAAP & Encumb

09 CONTRACTUAL SERVICES 0702 OTHER PURCHASES SERVICES (1099 REPORT) $2,953.26-

09 CONTRACTUAL SERVICES Sum: $2,953.26-

36220 - BSBP NATIONAL DEAF-BLIND EQUIP DIST PROG Sum: $1,103.24- “

Now clearly BSBP here has used part of this grant to pay in part the salary of one of your employees, but no one can find out anything about any persons who have even received an assessment by your own public statements at least since July of 2013.

Sir, this program is critical for deaf blind people to actually engage the world about them. Do you not care about that and actually how your agency actually complies with its obligations?

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.