[nfbmi-talk] FW: Iowa View: Harkin's Antiquated Stand On Disabled Wages

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 20:03:02 UTC 2013

This goes out to all Federationists in and around Detroit: especially
those inhabiting U.S. Congressional District #13.

Judging from the high activity I see on this list every day, the
following may be old hat to some.  But I found out about this posting
after it was forwarded to me by Indiana affiliate President Ron Brown.

What you see below is a very eloquent argument made by the president
of the Iowa NFB state affiliate Michael Barber and seconded by the
Federation's national Director of Advocacy & Policy Anil Lewis, in
favor of the Fair Wages For Workers With Disabilities Act.  This act
is identified in the Congressional records as HR-831, and it has been
sitting dormant in the House Committee on Education and the Workforce
since its introduction in February of 2013, and it stands in danger of
going unheard in the 113th Congress.

Mr. Barber's remarks below speak for themselves, so I won't bother to
repeat.  But it is essential we get the word out to those
Congresspersons we know who sit on this committee so that a fair
hearing is scheduled for sometime in 2014.  John Conyers, a Democrat
who represents a large part of Greater Detroit making up the 13th
District of Michigan, sits on the committee that must forward HR-831
to the House floor if it has a chance of being debated and voted on.
Please give careful consideration to what is below and contact
Representative Conyers if you live in his district, therefore standing
a chance that he will read, listen, and respond.  Thank you.

  _____