[nfbmi-talk] BSBP Consumer Involvement Council Meeting

Joe Sontag suncat0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 18:49:42 UTC 2013

I attended the first Commission for Blind Persons meeting and can say that
it was well-run and proceeded without much drama.  A number of the new
Commissioners asked loads of good questions and for such things as regular
financial reports, copies of the Rehab Act and were given assurances that
these things would be provided, although the financials are still allegedly
only available on a quarterly basis.  The usual phone interface problems
were very much in evidence as well.

that he had told NFBM leadership that he required a grant proposal and had
not yet received one from us, but I'm not aware of any on-the-record
discussion of this kind at any time during the past 3+ months.

Ed Rodgers also stated that progress is being made on the ADA compliance
front regarding accessible signage at MAHS and BSBP facilities, including
the Victor, Ottawa and Cadillac Place buildings, but we know that we're only
getting started on solving a problem that should have been address decades
ago.  In fairness, it seems to me that accessible information is more
important to BSBP now than it ever was in the Cannon era, but I think it's
too soon to say what's really happening.

I found it interesting that Ed Rodgers feels a need to defend the Business
Enterprise Program by tearing down the words and experiences of those who
know it best, the former and present operators who have been a part of the
Program for the previous 20 years or more and who communicate often with our
counterparts in other states.  We've been asked to believe that Michigan's
program is in the top ten in the country and not in the lower four.  The
only other state to be refered to was the Oregon BEP; and I must admit I had
to bite my lower lip on that one.

Two reps. from MPAS were there too; and one of them made clear to me her
frustration at the lack of straight answers to Rehab Act questions asked of
Leamon Jones during his presentation.  This Commission has potential, if not
real power.  Keeping the Commission properly informed will be mostly up to
us.