[nfbmi-talk] but....

Matt Sievert matt.sievert at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 14:57:05 UTC 2013

Good morning folks,

I hope you are all well.

I spent my middle school/junior high years in the Adirondacks in New York.
There I participated in regular physical education classes, and was
expected to do as much as possible, or work with the instructor on finding
alternative exercises, that would demonstrate similar aspects of what the
class was learning. The instructor knew when I was putting forth effort and
my grade and compliments would reflect that effort. New York in the 80s'
was determined to help handicap people succeed in whatever they wanted to
do.

Physical education was stressful and I always wanted to be part of the
group, and the instructor, and most of my classmates made their best
efforts to take care of that. We went to mandatory swim class together, and
even mandatory orienteering classes. Since getting lost in the Adirondacks
is a life or death situation, and getting lost was not uncommon during a
day hike. So every middle school kid learned how to use a compass and a
rudimentary map, even if you had sight problems.

Things got bad when my family moved to Phoenix, Arizona. In my freshman
year of high school. They placed me in the "special kids gym class". Which
was a horrible idea. I got placed in a class with a multitude of
handicapped people and injured student/athletes. We sat around, lifted some
weights, played a lot of H.O.R.S.E. and generally didn't sweat at all. We
changed in the same locker room as the regular gym classes. We wore the
same school P.E. uniform. We saw the other classes during their warm ups
and running. But we usually went to a basketball court, or the racquet ball
courts and hung out with the instructor. Who had some activities planned,
but nothing too taxing. This was five days a week for my freshman year of
high school. Then P.E. was over for me. I had to take a summer school P.E.
class three years later, but by then my high school time was over and I was
really out of shape.

What should have happened, which I partially blame myself for, is that I
should have continued on with my desire to learn wrestling which several
folks in New York thought I would do well in. Instead I followed the pack,
gained a lot of weight and all the issues that go with that during the
teenage years. High school is pivotal in growth, and an opportunity to
really decide how determined and energetic you will be in the rest of your
life.

However, things changed during college. I took P.E. classes, even scuba,
and started working out five days a week, nothing to serious, but enough to
go from 300lbs down to 230. College. P.E. was pretty much do what you can,
and we will figure out the rest. Which was fine with me.

Tailoring programs or excluding people from "regular" people physical
activity can be a determinant.

I know this email was long. But this is a point I feel strongly about, in
regards to how physically/visually impaired people can be affected by
people trying to accommodate everyone.

Thank you for your time, and have a good day.
Matthew Sievert