[nfbmi-talk] assistance to attend your first National Convention

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 22:06:32 UTC 2013

20812 Ann Arbor Trail
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127

January 27, 2013

     Dear Michigan Federationists:

     We are looking for new Federationists from Michigan who would
like some assistance to attend their first National Convention. Please
read the enclosed information, and contact me as soon as possible.
There are also details in the January Braille Monitor that discuss the
procedure for applying for the Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship. The
article is also included below for convenience.

Sincerely,

Larry Posont
President
Email: president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Web page: www.nfbmi.org

Dear State Presidents,

Allen Harris and I are working together to ensure that the first-time
national convention KJ scholarship winners get the most they can out
of our national convention.  This year the letters of application for
the scholarships will be sent to you, and you will forward the
completed application and your recommendation letter to the KJ
Scholarship Committee at kjscholarships at nfb.org.

If you are recommending that the individual receive a scholarship, we
would like you to also give us the name, email, and phone number of
someone who has agreed to serve as a mentor at the national convention
for the applicant.  If the applicant receives a scholarship, we will
be contacting the mentor and scholarship winner in order to facilitate
their mentoring experience at the convention.  As we know, a
first-time convention attendee always has a better experience when
guided by a more experienced Federationist.  Please remember to
include the mentor's name and contact information in your
recommendation letter.

Thank you so much for helping make this program such a success.

Best,
Joanne Wilson

Convention Scholarships Available

by Allen Harris

>From the Editor: Allen Harris chairs the Kenneth Jernigan  Convention
Scholarship Fund committee. He has an important announcement for
those who would
like to attend this year's national convention but find  themselves
short of funds. This is what he says:

Allen Harris
The Kenneth Jernigan Convention  Scholarship Fund is looking for
individuals who can use some financial  assistance to attend our
national convention in
Orlando, Florida. At the 2012  convention in Dallas we were able to
assist sixty-three people. In 2013 our  convention will begin on
Monday, July 1, and
run through Saturday, July 6. The  convention is a day shorter than
you might expect, ending with the banquet  Saturday evening.

Who is eligible to receive a  Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship?
If you are a member of the National  Federation of the Blind who has
not yet attended
a national convention, you are  eligible to apply.

What do I have to do to apply for a  Kenneth Jernigan Convention
Scholarship? You must do the following and are  responsible for
meeting these application
requirements:

1. Each individual who applies for a  Kenneth Jernigan Convention
Scholarship must write a letter to the selection  committee.  You will
send your letter
of  application to your NFB state affiliate president.  A list of
state presidents is posted on the  NFB website <
www.nfb.org>.
He or she  will forward your completed application, along with his or
her recommendation,  to the committee at <
kjscholarships at nfb.org>.
 You and your state president should make contact by telephone so that
he or she  is well aware of your financial need and your wish to
attend the convention
in  Orlando. If you have questions, you may also send a message to the
Kenneth  Jernigan Scholarship chairman by addressing your email to the
scholarship
 submission email address.

2. You must write a letter to the  Kenneth Jernigan Fund committee
expressing the reasons why you want a  scholarship. Describe your
participation in the
Federation and what you think  you would contribute and receive at the
convention.

3. You must register for and attend  the entire convention, including
the banquet.

What else must I do to insure that  my application will be considered?
We must have all of the following  information:

1. Your full name
 2. Your address
 3. Your telephone numbers (home,  business, and cell)
 4. Your email address (if you have  one)
 5. Your state president's name and  the name of your local chapter,
if you attend one.

All applications must be received by April 15, 2013.

How do I get my scholarship funds?  You will get a debit card at the
convention loaded with the amount of your  scholarship award. The
times and locations
to pick up your debit card will be  listed in the notice you receive
if you are a scholarship winner. The committee  is not able to provide
funds before
the convention, so work with your chapter  and state affiliate to
assist you by advancing funds you can pay back when you  receive your
scholarship.

When will I know if I have been selected  as a Kenneth Jernigan
Scholarship winner?

The committee makes every effort to notify scholarship  winners by May
15, but you must do several things to be prepared to attend if  you
are chosen:

1. Make your own hotel reservation. If something prevents  you from
attending, you can cancel your reservation.

2. You will receive a letter with the convention details  which should
answer many of your questions. It is also helpful to find a mentor
from your chapter
or affiliate to act as a friend and advisor during the  convention.
Although you will not know officially whether or not you have been
selected until
mid-May, you must make plans to attend and then adjust your
arrangements accordingly.

Last summer in Dallas the Jernigan  Fund scholarship committee awarded
sixty-three Kenneth Jernigan Scholarships.  Grants ranged from $400 to
$500. The
amount we can give will depend on the  funds available; we attempt to
award additional funds to families. You can  include in your letter to
the committee
any special circumstances which the  committee may choose to take into
consideration. Above all, please use this  opportunity to attend your
first convention
and join several thousand other  blind Federationists in the most
important meeting of the blind in the world.

If you have questions or need  additional information, call Allen
Harris at (205) 520-9979 or email him at  <
kjscholarships at nfb.org>.
We look forward to seeing you in Orlando.