[nfbmi-talk] Science Camp Program

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Tue Jul 23 03:41:39 UTC 2013

Looks like a great program.

Good job, Donna.

NFB Science Camp/2013

Ralph Mcmullen Conference Center

104 Conservation D

v. Rosscommon Michigan

Sunday, July 28, 2013

3 p m arrival and settling in your habitat

4:15 tour of the facility

5:30Dinner

6:30 Scientists meet

7 p m Scientiffic method Donna Posont

7:30 Science and technology Fred Wurtzel

8 p m Radish germination/meet on the beach

8:30 Campfire  on beach Smors/Guitar music with Alonzo Parke

9:15 What Color is the Sun? Fred Wurtzel

9:30 return to nest

10 p m lights out

10:15 Staff Meeting

Monday, July 29

6:30  rise and shine

7:15 breakfast

8 a m Recording data/meeting room

9 a m Hiking through our habitat/Craig Kasamere

11 a m Mapping our world with global climate change Tyler Zumwalt

12noon  Lunch

1 p m  Hibernation

2 p m "Where are the Monarchs? Barbara Divizio/Certified Interpretive
Guide/National Association of Interpretors

2:30 Swimming in Higgens Lake

4:45 Water testing Donna and Zack Kuhl

5:30 Dinner

6:30 An Inconvenient Truth Movie in meeting room

8 p m Popcorn, Campfire/Environmental ethics/Moral Ground

9:30 Return to nests

10 p m  lights out

10:15 staff meeting

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

6:30 Rise and shine

7:15 Breakfast

8 a m Tree Identification/Dr. Oran Gelderloos, Professor of Biology
University of Michigan Dearborn

9:30 Tree Diversity Exercise

11 a m Annalyzing the Data

12noon  Lunch

1p m  Rest and germination

2:15 Life in the stream

4 p m Water Volleyball

5:30 Dinner

6:30 Soil testing

7 p m Radish check and data recording

7:30 Why are Invasive Species"invasive"

8:15 Campfire/Sand County Almanac "February"

9 p m Smors

9:15 The Meaning of the Sunset

9:30 Return to nests

10 p m Lights Out

10:15 staff meeting

Wednesday July 31, 2013

6:30 rise and shine

7:15 breakfast

8 a m  Scientists meet

8:45 Depart for Heartwick Pines

9 a m Heartwick Pines Visitor center/Old growth forest

11:30 Lunch in the Forest

12:15 Rest in vans

1:30 Swimming in pools/Otsego Sportsplex

3:45  Depart for RAM center

5 p m Check radish Germination

5:30 Dinner

6:30 Animal tracking on beach Maureen Stein, Naturology.com

8 p m Silent Spring/movie with popcorn

9:30 Return to nests

10 p m Lights out

10:15 staff meeting

Thursday, August 1, 2013

6:30 rise and shine

7:15 breakfast

8 a m Scientists meet What is Ecology?

9 a m Wolves of Michigan/Idaho Tyler Zumwalt

10 a m Why are the Great Lakes great Donna Posont

11 a m The Isle Royel Wolf-Moose project

Noon

12: What is Torpor? Barbara Divizio

lunch

1 p m Torper time

2 p m In search of bird nests Barb Divizio

3 p m Paddleboats

4 p m Edible geology/Michigan geography Donna and Amid Ali

5:30 Dinner

6:30 Chemical Creations Carissa Touris

7:15 Interpreting the dataOwls  and Woodpeckers Krista Botting

8 p m Campfire/Smors/Reflections of Scientists/Thinking Like a Mountain

9:30 Migrate to Habitat

10 p m games, optional

11 p m lights out

Friday, August 2, 2013

6:30 rise and shimmer

7:15 breakfast

8 a m Scientists meet/radish reflections

9 a m Final Journey through the habitat

10 a m Pack up

11 a m Until we meet again/head south