[nfbmi-talk] Article: Happy Birthday ADA

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 27 06:49:49 UTC 2013

Great article.  Thank you Joe for sharing it!

As the ADA and I celebrate our birthdays this weekend,  we both are
certainly living breathing works in progress, and prayerfully a beacon of
hope for the advancement of equality for all blind persons, who simply
desire to be independent and share in the equality that our federal and
state Constitution and lawsrequire of society.

Indeed, we have a long road to travel to educate away the ignorance,
stereotypes, paternalism, and control others hold in their hearts, minds,
and political agendas, and yet, as the article points out, we have traveled
a long stretch of road to educate and achieve equality with our sighted
peers.

Just this year, I experienced discrimination under the effective
communication provisions of the ADA, in my attempt to have equal access to
the state courts.  Ironically, the discrimination was not committed by the
state courts, as they went beyond their duty to accommodate, but rather, the
discrimination was committed by the Department of the chief law enforcement
official--the Michigan Department of Attorney General, and none other than
the Director of the Bureau of Services for Blind persons (BS4BP), Mr.
Rodgers, allegedly a blind person himself, and an alleged sworn officer of
the courts, as a licensed attorney.  Is that amazingly ironic or what?  That
clearly demonstrates what we as disabled persons have to ddeal with and
contend with in our journey for equal access and basic dignity and respect
for justice.

While the legal actions go forward to obtain equality and accountability, we
as individuals need to exercise our rights to vote, and assemble
collectively, to exercise our political franchise to demonstrate our resolve
and voice for equal access and equal opportunity to compete with our sighted
peers, whether in the classroom, workforce, or the courtroom!  Each and
every person is valuable and needed to walk together on our journey to equal
access and opportunity to be productive contributing citizens.

Happy Birthday to the ADA, and God bless America and the NFB!

Subject: Fw: Article: Happy Birthday ADA

And this ain't just the half of it. I documented that MCB itself and all
State of Michigan entities violate the effective communications requirements
of the ADA virtually daily for those of us who are blind (ADA, Title II,
Subparte e).

And they also daily violate in this state the requirement of the ADA,
Regulations and Americans with Disabilities Act Guidelines (ADAAG 3.40.1,
4,5,6 to thhis very day. Those require that each and every permanent room
have proper raised character and Braille representations on every permanent
room and not just rest rooms or on elevators either.

Are we, the organized blind children of a lessor God in enforcement when
these glaring denials of access to visually deliverred information are
ignored daily for these past 23 years alone?

Access to visually deliverred information is not just a nice thing, under
the ADA and Section 504 before it for federally funded entities, it is a
Constitionally derived civil right.