[nfbmi-talk] An Apparently Huge Victory For Print Disabled Readers

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 15:30:23 UTC 2013

It looks as if the doctrine of making intellectual property accessible
across the board to blind and other print disabled persons is coming
to be recognized as a universal standard around the globe.  I first
read this article after it was redistributed by someone on the ACB
mailing list for Indiana, but the original source is "Intellectual
Property Watch":
http://www.ip-watch.org/2013/06/26/miracle-in-marrakesh-historic-treaty-for-visually-impaired-agreed/

It seems the full impact of this decision might not be felt right away
in the United States.  Any treaty must be ratified in individual
countries after the language has been ironed out, and it does not
appear that the Obama administration has yet declared its intentions
here.  But I have to think this will make a world of difference to how
some global initiatives like Google Books is carried out.  It's at
least worth noting, and I'm glad this has happened in time for
appropriate celebrations to occur at the NFB and ACB national
conventions this summer.

-Kane