[nfbmi-talk] upcoming surgery

Mary Wurtzel marywurtzel at att.net
Mon Mar 4 23:38:24 UTC 2013

Hello fellow Federationists,

I have had a few conversations about how we are all so different.  Some
people are quite private about what is going on in their personal lives.  My
kids always say that if they want to keep something secret to not tell it to
their mom.

Anyway, on March 13th I am having surgery on my left ankle.  Some of you
know that I have worn a brace for a few years now.  ;I also got Filix who is
a guide and a balance dog.  I have Felix on my left side and carry a support
cane in my right hand.  I am blind because of being a premie.  I didn't know
that I also have mild Cerebral Palsy which causes my left foot to stay ina
apposition so that I am not able to walk with it flat on the ground.
Perhaps fifteen years ago I began falling many times a week.  As time went
on it got worse and worse.  I began to be   more afraid to walk by myself.
I got a brace which helped some.  One year ago I got my guide-balance dog.
I can go pretty fast now and all on my own.  Still I am willing to take a
chance the my walking can improve after this surgery.  Sorry for being so
long-winded.  I will be unable to walk at all for three weeks so am going to
a rehab facility.  Once I am home, it could be as much as three months
before I am fully healed.

One reason I wanted to tell about this, is that I wanted you to know why I
am not with you at various activities.  Even more important to me, I ask for
the praying guys to do some of that for me.  I am especially wanting to be
back to rights to go to national convention.

Thanks to all of you who have been so helpful and loving to our family.

Mary