[nfbmi-talk] [NFBMI-talk] Here is something from FederationLiterature that you may wish to read.

Terry Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 6 19:29:16 UTC 2013

Right on Fred.  I could not have said it any better, as I sit here
unemployed yet because of the NFB discrimination from within the corrupt
BS4BP, and a Business Enterprise Program cafeteria begins the  sixteenth
month of being closed at the Michigan House of Representatives office
building, and the BS4BP director and his cronies support WORK-TO-WELFARE for
those who have Hospitality Management degrees , and more food service
training and real experience than BEP management and Promotional agents
combined.  Not to mention my record of hiring, training, and supporting and
promoting approximately 50 blind and persons with disabilities to better
employment.  When was the last time the MCB or BS4BP hired a blind person?
The jobs have all been given to sighted persons, from management to the
central office receptionist, not to mention BEP facilities that are today
still being run by untrained and inexperienced sighted relatives and
significant others of blind vendors, illegally using rehabilitation funds to
employ sighted persons over qualified blind persons, and losing thousands of
dollars in product inventory and set-aside funds, and a department, attorney
general, and a hand-selected Elected Operators Committee that are full
participants in these illegal activities.

I only mention my qualifications and record of training and employing blind
and persons of other disabilities, to demonstrate that I walk the walk of
the NFB philosophy of independence and striving to assist each blind person
and other persons with disabilities to achieve independence and achieve
their dreams and full potential in the sighted world., and not simply give
lip-service to the philosophy.  Terri Wilcox, and subsequently Fred, were
imparting that we constantly should reflect on our roots and history, as an
organization of the blind, and I add our personal roots and history, to
remind us from where we have come, and to focus our ongoing efforts within
our philosophy, to better and advance the opportunities and potential of
every blind person and other persons with disabilities.  There are far too
many individuals, Federationists and non-affiliated blind persons alike, who
have forgotten, or don't care about their roots and history, who have
achieved much, quote "making it in the sighted world" unquote,  and
forgetting or ignoring that they alone did not create the opportunities and
circumstances that made it possible to achieve their independence and
success, yet there are some of those blind persons that have then have
either turned their back on their fellow blind, or deny their blindness, and
promote the ignorance about blindness held by the sighted world, and they
become part of the problem rather than part of the solution, for which our
rich roots and history provide direction and inspiration.  Knowing and
sharing the roots and history of the NFB can serve to remind us and educate
others of that which we believe and fight to advance for the betterment of
all blind persons, whether they affiliate or identify and stand along with
us at the barricades, as we strive to remove the barriers to opportunity,
equality, and independence.

I challenge each blind person to become familiar with our NFB roots,
history, and philosophy, and utilize each opportunity and circumstance to
focus on promoting the philosophy and to advance our mission, whether at
work, in our community, or in a volunteer or internship opportunity to plant
a mustard seed to dispel the ignorance about blindness, to correct
injustice, preserve and protect the countless gains we have secured,
encourage and promote equality and independence and full participation in
society.

Preserving BEP opportunities for blind persons, improving and acquiring
BS4BP services for blind persons, getting some legislation passed and other
legislation defeated, are just a few things that we all should be focused on
and lend a supportive and helping hand.  In my opinion, there are many laws
for the equality of opportunity for the blind that are being violated on an
ongoing basis, that each and every one of us ought to be concerned and
speaking out, rather than the copyright law.  I believe the copyright law
and its violations should and will be left to the prideful writers of
publications and their resourceful attorneys.  In my opinion, we have a more
pressing and meaningful mission on which to focus, speak out, and upon which
we must act as an organization and as individuals.

In closing, Happy Birthday to Fred Wurtzel, Larry Posont, and my elder
sister Robin.