[nfbmi-talk] who we are and loving each other

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Sun Mar 10 03:29:29 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have a real problem choosing a favorite.  A few come to mind.  "Blindness:
Handicap or Characteristic?" is a foundational piece that helped me
understand the core concept of Federation philosophy about why we want to
change the world view of blindness.  "The Pros and Cons of Preferential
Treatment" is a fundamental piece that helps us look at ourselves and try to
consider how our beliefs about ourselves and the way we allow society's
views to control us impede our progress.  Why do we get reduced fares on
public transportation, no matter how much we may earn?  Doesn't the policy
on reduced fares assume that blind people don't earn enough to pay full
fares?  Don't such policies give employers a pass by implying blind people
don't need to earn as much since we get all these freebies?

The "Barricades speech that has recently been on our list is another because
it helps us develop a strategy and attitude about how to deal with the
stubborn, destructive  and negative effects of societal ignorance and
misconceptions about blindness.  In tandem with "Handicap or Characteristic"
and from a more light-hearted approach is "Blindness: A left-handed
Dissertation.

I read a long history of Dr. Martin Luther King's work in civil Rights,
called "Freedom Bell."  I may have the title slightly wrong, but it is
close.  I dare to put "Walking Alone..." next to the King book for a deep
and titanic blow against historic and ill-conceived attitudes and practices
and the human struggle to overcome them.

When I think about the Book of Matthew in the New Testament and Jesus
preaching the Sermon on the Mount, he said, "Love God and Love your neighbor
as yourself."  So the idea of loving our neighbors is dependent on loving
ourselves.  When it comes to blindness, we must see blindness as a
characteristic, no more or less.  It is respectable to be blind, or put
another way, it is ok to love our blindness as one of our characteristics.
Further since blindness is respectable, it is right to expect respect and to
be respectful.  Therefore, I expect that law applies to me the same as any
other person, for better or worse.  I want no special exception and I won't
tolerate less than equal treatment under the law.  I have a right to be
treated fairly in employment, housing and access to public services.  I have
a right to the internet, documents and accommodations.  These are human
rights that go deep into our religious and judicial history.  If we don't
understand blindness in this global sense we will never fully achieve our
goals.

These are powerful ideas that have caused blind people, women, ethnic and
racial minorities to speak out and take action to demand first-class
citizenship and not settle for less.  Dr. Jernigan repeats in a few
speeches, "We know who we are and we will never go back."

Thank you Lydia for asking this very important question.

Warmest Regards,

Fred