[nfbmi-talk] Here is something from Federation Literature that you may wish to read.

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 31 05:21:03 UTC 2013

     Here is something from Federation Literature that you may wish to read.
Blindness: That's How it is at the Top of the Stairs
An Address Delivered By Kenneth Jernigan
The noted British historian Arnold Toynbee has a sweeping theory of human development called "The Cycle of Challenge and Response."
According to this theory every civilization faces a constant succession of challenges and confrontations, and its viability and
soundness can be measured by the vigor and nature of the response. It may meet the challenge head on, emerging stronger and
healthier for the encounter; it may react defensively, desperately, leaving the struggle exhausted; or it may, at the first sign of
threat, simply lie down and die. As it is with civilizations, so it may be with movements. For that matter, so it may be with
individuals. Our vitality, our spirit, and our very capacity for survival can likely be measured not only by the vigor of our
response to challenge and confrontation but also by the pattern and the nature of that response.

When the National Federation of the Blind came into being in 1940, there were certainly both challenge and confrontation; but
neither the professionals in the field nor the public-at-large understood the full implications of the challenge or anticipated the
ultimate fury of the coming confrontation. 1940 was another time and a different climate. Barely a scattering had the faith to
believe and the courage to hope. They were the founders of the National Federation of the Blind. Those original Federationists were
not the powerful force of concerted action which we know today, not the united voice of the nation's blind. All of that was still a
generation ahead, in the promise of the future and the fullness of the years.

It is only when we look back that we realize how far we have come. In 1940 the blind were universally regarded as inferiors, and
there was a general feeling that it was inappropriate for them to organize and take a hand in their own affairs. It was an
atmosphere which broke the spirit and quenched the hope and killed the dream. But the resistance to the notion that the blind should
organize (the challenges and the confrontations) did not, for the most part, come from hatred or viciousness or a wish to hurt. It
came, instead, from pity, misunderstanding, misplaced kindness, or (at worst) apathy and a desire to maintain the status quo.

That was 1940. This is 1979. What has happened to us in the intervening years? What challenges and confrontations do we face today?
How do these challenges and confrontations differ from those of 1940? In short, as a movement and a people, where are we-and where
are we going?

In broad outline the story of the past four decades is easy to read and quickly told. At first the Federation was small and largely
ignored. It had few members and little influence. The governmental and private agencies tried to treat it as if it were not unique
at all but simply another provider of services (one among many), a miniature duplicate of what already was-in other words, a
newcomer but one of themselves. The public (to the extent that the public knew about the Federation at all) took its lead from the
professionals.

But the blind knew otherwise. They knew of the need which only the Federation could fill. They knew it in the yearning for freedom,
in the lack of opportunity, in the rejection by society, and in the exclusion from the rights and privileges of full participation
and equal status. They knew that the Federation was theirs. For whatever successes it might achieve or whatever failures it might
make, it was theirs. Its primary purpose was not to provide services but to monitor and hold to account those who did provide
services. And there were other purposes: to change social attitudes, fight discrimination, eliminate prejudice, create self-
awareness, instill hope, touch the conscience, and (above all) establish a means by which the blind could discuss common problems,
reach decisions, and make their voices heard. The Federation was unique. It was (and is) the collective voice of the nation's
blind-the blind thinking for themselves, speaking for themselves, and acting for themselves.

Our battle for freedom and recognition parallels to a striking degree that experienced by the blacks, for we are (in every modern
sense of that term) a minority. We have our ghettos, our unemployment, our underemployment, and our Uncle Toms. We have our
establishment (composed of society as a whole and, particularly, of many of the professionals in the governmental and private
agencies). That establishment condescendingly loves us if we stay in our places, and bitterly resents us if we strive for equality.
Above all (through our own organization, the National Federation of the Blind) we have discovered our collective conscience and
found our true identity. We have learned that it is not our blindness which has put us down and kept us out, but what we and others
have thought about our blindness. Yet, they tell us that there is no discrimination and that we are not a minority. We want no
strife or confrontation, but we will do what we have to do. We are simply no longer willing to be second-class citizens. We have
said it before, and we say it again: We know who we are, and we will never go back!

No group ever goes from second-class status to first-class citizenship without passing through a period of hostility. Several years
ago I made the statement that we had not even come far enough up the stairway of independence for anybody to hate us. I believe I
can safely say that that problem has now been solved. We have enemies enough to satisfy even the most militant among us. We have
actually progressed to the point of creating a backlash.

However, we must see the situation in perspective. The hostility and backlash which we are experiencing are not due to mistakes on
our part or to radical behavior or to over aggressiveness or to any of the other trumped-up charges which have been made against us.
Just as with the black civil rights movement and Martin Luther King, the hostile reactions and backlash are an inevitable step on
the stairs which lead from the depths of rejection and custody to the upper level of freedom and first-class status. The bottom
steps of that stairway are often paved with condescension and pity; the middle steps are sometimes paved with goodwill and the
beginnings of acceptance; but the top steps are always paved with resentment and fear. We have come a long way up. We are
approaching the top of the stairs, and we are experiencing our full measure of fear and resentment.

The fear and resentment come from those who have a vested interest in keeping us down: the sheltered shops, with their subminimum
wages, which were the subject of the recent Wall Street Journal articles;1 the New York agencies, which we have helped expose
through damning audits; the National Accreditation Council for Agencies Serving the Blind and Visually Handicapped (NAC), which we
oppose for its phony standards, its meaningless accreditation, its lust to manage our lives, and its desperate effort to gain public
support and respectability; the Cleveland Society for the Blind, which we have taken to court because of its wrongful seizure of the
earnings of blind food service operators and its attempt to control the smallest details of their daily existence; the American
Foundation for the Blind, which we call to task for its drippy publicity and pseudo-professionalism; the insurance companies, which
(by court action and administrative regulation) we seek to prevent from charging us extra rates and denying us coverage; the
airlines, against whom we demonstrate for trying to tell us where we can sit, that we cannot keep our canes during flight, that we
must travel with an attendant, and sometimes that we cannot even board the plane at all; and all of those other public officials and
private individuals who have an economic interest in keeping us from achieving independence or who boost their egos and show their
insecurity by the need to feel superior, to custodialize, to condescend, and to treat us as wards.

Whether we finish the climb up the stairway to freedom and social acceptance (leaving behind the hostility and backlash) will be
determined not by the actions of others but by our own behavior. This is our challenge and our confrontation. It is also the
strongest possible proof of how far we have come. For the first time in history, the choice is ours. As other minorities have
discovered, the final steps are the hardest.

There are several reasons why this is so: For one thing, the degradations and deprivations at the bottom of the stairs are (once
they are pointed out and clearly delineated) so obvious and unjust that they are easily understood; and large groups of the general
public can be touched in their conscience and enlisted to help, still keeping intact their sense of superior worth and special
status. The minority is a long way down and poses no apparent threat, even by climbing a few steps up. At the top of the stairs
things are different. The discrimination is more complex and subtle, the prejudice less obvious, the threat to vested interest more
real, and the violations of tradition more imminent.

There is also the fact that the members of the minority group are part of the larger society. They tend to see themselves as others
see them. They tend to accept the false views of their limitations and, thus, do much to make those limitations a reality.

I can offer a personal example. On February 11, 1979, an article written by R. H. Gardner appeared in the Baltimore Sun. It was