[nfbmi-talk] bsbp not the blind community

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Nov 4 17:23:23 UTC 2013

Medical researcher and doctor wins Bureau of Services for Blind Persons award

Print

Megan Wenzl | mwenzl at mlive.com

By

Megan Wenzl | mwenzl at mlive.com

on November 03, 2013 at 9:25 AM, updated November 03, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Sanden  .jpgDr. Howard Vernon Sanden was awarded one of the Annual Achievement Honor Roll Awards by the Bureau of Services for Blind Persons. Michigan Bureau

of Services for Blind Persons

MUSKEGON, MI -- Scientific research is a big part of Dr. Howard Vernon Sanden's life, and his research led him to be recognized and honored by the blind

community.

The Bureau of Services for Blind Persons annual Achievement Honor Roll Award recently was presented to Sanden, a retired pediatrician and medical researcher

from Muskegon.

Sanden was one of the Bureau of Services for Blind Persons clients who received the award on Friday, Oct. 25 in Lansing.

“The award was given (to me) I believe because I encourage a healthy lifestyle," Sanden said. “That’s so often accomplished by simple lifestyle decisions

that increase quality of life for people."

According to the press release issued by BSBP, the annual awards are presented to:

List of 3 items

• BSBP clients who are exemplary in achieving their goals for employment and/or independent living after vision loss;

• Employers who have shown leadership in hiring blind workers based on their abilities;

• And community partners recognized for their collaboration with the BSBP in increasing opportunities for blind people to achieve independence and/or employment.

list end

"Our honorees have demonstrated a tremendous amount of hard work and perseverance and have made great contributions to Michigan's blind community," BSBP

Director Ed Rodgers said in a press release.

Sanden was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa while in medical school. Despite his condition, he continued to study medicine.

After retiring from his 25-year career as a pediatrician, retinitis pigmentosa started to take a toll on Sanden's day-to-day life. He contacted the BSBP

in search of devices that had the ability to assist him in documenting his medical research and reading his journals.

Sanden learned how to use a digital recorder within one week, then started recording and navigating his research notes.

Presenting to the Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired local support group, Sanden was able to discuss the lifestyle and environmental factors

that impact aging and quality of life.

“(Through) a healthy diet and regular exercise, you can improve the longevity and quality of your life,” Sanden said. "I remain very active myself."

Sanden said he feels appreciative for the learning experiences and exposure to additional educational opportunities. For him, continuing education and learning

are important.

“I always like to open up new doors and explore new avenues in regard to medicine,” Sanden said.

sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlive.com%2Fnews%2Fmuskegon%2Findex.ssf%2F2013%2F11%2Fmedical_researcher_and_doctor

share?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlive.com%2Fnews%2Fmuskegon%2Findex.ssf%2F2013%2F11%2Fmedical_researcher_and_doctor

mailto: