[nfbmi-talk] A Newsletter of the Nebraska Center for the Blind Fall 2013

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 16:11:54 UTC 2013

                           EXPRESSIONS IN INDEPENDENCE
A Newsletter of the Nebraska Center for the Blind
         Fall  2013

Director’s Corner

By Fatos Floyd

Reflecting upon the impact that Center training has on people's lives,
I have been glad to see clients spend quality time with their
families, going places, doing things, and being involved as valued and
true members of their families.  They have worked on family projects,
gone on vacations, attended reunions, and done much of what represents
ordinary family life.  They tell us that they thoroughly enjoy being
full participants in these activities, giving and receiving the
abundant gifts which are a part of these relationships.  They
celebrate the genuine accomplishments of the goals that are meaningful
in their lives.  Their values and standards of achievement are not
measured by what others believe is good enough for a blind person, but
by the expectations which are held for all participants in the larger
community.

Without the alternative skills training and a true understanding of
blindness, our energies are wasted as we go through life, since we are
tempted to behave in a manner we perceive as being normal rather than
as who we truly are. Instead of properly defining blindness and
learning to work around it, we accept the stereotypes and society's
misguided beliefs regarding our role as blind persons, not recognizing
our strengths and gifts.

We work hard to avoid, evade, and excuse our substandard participation
in order to offer a superficial image of sameness.  We often refuse to
use effective tools employed successfully by thousands of blind
persons, in the name of normalcy.  By doing so, we are not unlike the
alcoholic that drinks Vodka to avoid the outward evidence of drinking.
 We fool ourselves into believing that if we leave our white canes
hidden away in the closet, nobody will know we lack functional use of
our vision.  If only we didn’t worry so much about what is normal, we
could be happily and productively engaged with our families,
occupations, and interests, interacting, contributing and sharing
equally.

Robert Newman, a now retired NCBVI vocational rehabilitation Counselor
observed: "We need to make a decision in our lives either to be an
incompetent sighted person or a competent blind person.”  True
contentment and balanced give-and-take with our sighted peers are
readily achievable with the right blindness tools, techniques, and
training under our belts."

I invite you to get training to learn skills so you can spend your
energy in a positive way, thereby accepting the challenge to become a
more competent blind individual.

The following five articles are written by clients about their
experience while at the Center.

Center Article
By Aung Tun

Before my training at the orientation center, my life was sometimes
very sad, and filled with many fears.  For example, I was afraid to
cross the road, and I did not know how to do a lot of the things I
needed.  This caused me to be very stressed out.

I came to the United States in 2010, and moved to Omaha.  One of the
first things I did was to ask around to find out if there were any
schools for the blind where I could get some training.  When I met
Kellie, she said there was a school, but it was not in Omaha; it was
in Lincoln.  I told her I really wanted to go there to learn English.
At first, I thought English would be the only thing I would be
learning, but later Kellie told me about the other classes in the
center.  On top of that, I would be working on ESL classes outside the
center.

Even during my first week at the center, I could see that this program
would help me a lot.  In the beginning, it was very difficult for me,
mostly because of my limited English skills.  I also needed to learn
how to listen to traffic so that I could travel better.

I noticed that the other center clients seemed to be doing well, and I
appreciated that all of them went out of their way to help me through
those first tough weeks.  I soon began to get to know them, and we
became friends.  Now I know a lot of people!

The instructors at the center help me, too.  They showed patience and
understanding when they worked with me.  I especially liked Mitzy,
Alex and Jeff right away.

Now I'll talk a little more about my classes.

I really liked home management.  It was good for me, because it taught
me to cook great foods.  My favorite dishes usually involved chicken,
but I didn't like the spicy chicken finger strips I made; they were
too hot!

Communications class was my favorite one.  I liked working on OOgoo,
Facebook, and doing email.

Sometimes I’m happy in travel class, and sometimes not.  I enjoy being
able to walk for my health, but I don't like it when the weather is
bad.  However, I really like knowing how to get someplace--where to
turn and where to go—and I’m really happy when I have a successful
travel route.

In shop, I enjoyed learning how to measure and make things.  My shop
project is a small table, and a goal for me would be to make shop a
hobby later on.

My most difficult class was Braille, mostly because in that class, I
was also working on learning English.  Sometimes I needed to think,
and before I was finished thinking, I was asked to do something
different, or asked another question.  English is difficult enough for
me, but I had trouble understanding punctuation like capital, period,
and so on.

Before I came to Lincoln, I had not lived alone in an apartment.
Living in my apartment at the center taught me many things.  The thing
I like best is that in my own apartment, I don't have to be concerned
about others, so I can focus on the things I want to do.  I feel
certain I will be able to live on my own once I leave the training
center.

I feel much better about things, now that I am completing my training.
 I know that I still have a lot to learn, but I am not afraid to go
places now, and my language skills have improved enough to make
communication with others possible.  Knowing English better is still a
goal for me, once I leave training.

I will continue to use computers, travel, Braille, and of course
cooking as I leave training.  Otherwise, how would I eat?

I would like to say "Thank you" to everyone that has worked with me in
the center.  All of the instructors taught me a great deal, and I will
continue to keep in touch with my friends.  Also, Kham has done a
great job as my interpreter.

When I leave the center, I will be going to Omaha to live.  I would
eventually like to come back to live in Lincoln, but I don't know if I
can get the housing worked out.

My experiences at the training center have been very beneficial to me,
and I know they will continue to help me throughout my life.

Marietta's article

A few months into my training at the Center, I was asked, “Why is
keeping your independence so important to you?”  At that time I
couldn’t answer the question, but now after completing my classes at
the Nebraska Commission Training Center, I can.

I am Marietta McFarland, widowed, mother of five, grandmother of
eighteen, and a retired postmaster from Crofton, Ne.  In 1995, Histo
spots were discovered on the retinas of both of my eyes.  Blood
started leaking from the spots into the retina of my right eye in
1997.  Emergency surgery was done to stop the bleeding and to prevent
any more loss of vision.  The possibility of going blind became very
real for me and it was extremely frightening.  A week later while
sorting mail, I found that my body was growing very weak and I had to
stop sorting and sit down.  Soon I could hardly walk, and was taken to
the medical clinic nearby.  A few days later a mental health doctor
told me I was dealing with Major Depression.  I had dealt with a lot
of tough things in my life, but I always kept going.

The doctor explained that this time my mind was telling my body
"enough," and it was shutting down.  It was one month before I was
able to start back to work part-time.  I gradually worked my way out
of the “nightmare” of depression, and I never wanted to lose my
independence again.

Over the next few years the Histo spots erupted again in both eyes and
the retina tore and detached in the left eye, but I was always able to
continue working.  I retired in 2008 at the age of 61.  I became the
librarian for a small grade school on a volunteer basis.  Later I
became a tax-aide volunteer with the AARP Tax Program for the elderly
and low-income.

In August of 2011, a blocked blood vessel in my best eye caused me to
lose more of my fine vision.  The independence I had struggled so hard
for was slipping away, and I knew I needed help!

I contacted the Nebraska Commission for the Blind and Visually
Impaired, and they assigned Glen as my field counselor.  Soon he was
encouraging me to consider the Training Center.  I agreed to visit the
center in April and did my three-day stay in May.  I was surprised to
be accepted, considering my age and retirement.  They wanted to help
me learn new ways to continue on with my volunteer work.

I moved into the apartments on Oct. 11th.  I’ve always had problems
with motion sickness.  Between the sleep shades and riding the buses,
my first two weeks were very tough, but things did improve and kept
getting better.

Fatos, the director, is a real joy to be around and the lady has a
great sense of humor.  She always is very interested in how we’re
doing.  Shop class was my favorite as I was always very interested in
working with wood, varnish, paint, etc.  I enjoyed Robert singing
Christmas songs while teaching me how to do measurements.  Mike was
back to full days after the New Year, and I enjoyed working with him,
building my bedside table.  He’s an instructor that helps out wherever
he’s needed, even if it means reading recipes into our recorders.
Mitzy worked long and hard to teach me to navigate my Renaissance
Learning website that I use in my library work.  She tries very hard
to help everyone in Vocational class also.  Jeff helped me gain
confidence in cane traveling and is very patient and knowledgeable. I
enjoyed working with the Southern gal, Tammy, when Jeff was gone.
I’ll always remember my first trip alone and wearing sleep shades to A
Street Market.  While transferring buses at Bryan East Hospital, I
tried to get into an ambulance.  The attendant said, “If you’re trying
to get on the bus, it’s behind me!”  I learned to choose recipes that
were out of my comfort zone in Home Management, and I loved sharing
and eating the leftovers.  Why do I remember the disasters the best?
Red Velvet cake balls (the kitchen was a disaster of red dye) and big
pretzels that tasted like soda were the two.  Cindy is a Pro at
setting up parties, decorating Christmas cookies, carving pumpkins,
playing games and doing crafts.  Sahar scared me at first, but I soon
learned she just really had our best interest at heart.  She had faith
in me and my ability to read a book in Braille.  Thank you, Sahar!

We had so many fun-filled outings during my time at the center.  Scott
and I getting the top laser tag scores at the Amazing Pizza Machine
really gave me bragging rights with all my grandsons.

I told someone at the center, “I’ve celebrated Halloween,
Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and Easter parties here.  I
think it’s time I go home.”  I know I’ll miss everyone at the center,
but not the sleep shades.  I’ve really enjoyed living in the
apartments, my volunteer work with the Food Net program and living in
Lincoln.  Thank you all so much for the opportunity.
Keeping my independence was always important to me.  There is no
reason for that to change, just because I’m losing my eyesight.  There
is help out there!!!

Center Training
By Pam Boose

A few months ago, I started my mission to gain independence of living
on my own again.  I thought I was on top of the world, but I had a
rude awakening.  My health played a major role in my training; you
see, I have diabetes.  I have had it for years and never took it
seriously.  As a result, my experience at the center has been a
struggle, due to my health.

Regarding my parents, I thought I was grown, but they see it
differently.  In my past, I have taken my parents on a roller coaster
ride.  Before I came here, I didn’t think I would need them, but I had
a big eye opener.  With my health failing, and not having them around
to get me through it, I didn't know who to turn to.  I didn’t know how
to talk to them, but with my God and prayer, we have overcome our
differences.

There are some things I still have to work on.  One of the things I
learned with this struggle is never to turn your back on the ones who
love you.  They have your best interest in their hearts.  I have
encountered this same kind of caring with the Center staff and
students.  As you may have come to know, I can be stubborn.  There are
days I sit in my room crying.  When things are hard, people can make a
difference in your life.

I had horror dreams coming to the Center, yet I have gained great
friends through the experience.  I hope to keep these friendships
after I leave here, whether it’s a text or a message on Facebook to
see how you are doing.  I learned that the staff are cool people once
you get to know them, and they know you.  I was quite surprised by
some of the things they said and did, but I now know that they all
mean well.  That is what you need to know to get through the Center
training.  I like that everyone knows you from the bottom to the top.

The Center was very good to me.  In coming here, you have to be
willing to learn for yourself.  They work to help you reach your best.
 While receiving training at the Center, you are learning alternative
ways of doing things.  I can’t say whether your training will be long
or short.  The time is adjusted to meet your needs.

My time went by very fast, and even though I am now finishing Center
training, my training isn't really over.  I will continue to work with
my counselors in Omaha to reach my goals.  I have a dream of learning
something new and going back to work.  I might decide to own my own
business or be a secretary with one of my co-clients.  I see myself in
a customer service position.  I have gained an interest in making my
own jewelry.  I look forward to learning more about making my own
pieces of art.

In the Center, we did lots of activities, and I especially liked going
to the zoo.  Later, I returned with my niece who is three years old.
She has brightened up my life.  One day, she sat down and had a
conversation with me saying, “Auntie, if you can’t see me, just feel
my face.  I am right here with you.”  That made me smile.  In the
summer, she visited me, and Novelle, another client, was with me in
Omaha.  I always made him go and take her on the swing.  She was never
scared to be around us.  I enjoyed spending that time with her and my
brother.  She loves her daddy.

The Center students had a night out bowling.  It was really fun, and I
beat Mortel and Novelle.  I only played one game with them.  Because
of my poor health, I was not able to keep a hold of the bowling ball.
But I would like to bowl again.  That is a fun sport.  Being blind
doesn’t stop you from doing anything.  You can be all that you can
be—maybe even better.

I had some laughs in all of my classes.  I enjoyed cooking, but I was
never a good cook at home.  I cooked when I was hungry, but I didn’t
enjoy it.  At the Center, I tried some great recipes that I might make
again.

I have enjoyed my computer class the most because I like computer
gadgets.  I went out and bought myself a Chromebook and an iPad. They
say “I like to keep up with the Joneses.”  I like a lot of new
technology; it keeps me up and learning.

I enjoyed Braille and travel the least.  These two classes are
important; I just had my struggles with them.  As for shop, I was not
able to complete it due to my health.  I learned the tools a little
bit.  I like the click rule.

While I was at the Center, I was able to travel to the American
Council of the Blind conventions, both at the state and national
level.  We visited Columbus, Ohio for the ACB national convention.  I
traveled by Megabus with Novelle Williams.  We had a nice time at the
convention, and we had a chance to sit with Dr. Pearl Van Zandt and
visit with her a bit.  At the national level, I felt like I was in
Congress.  I sat there thinking, "Is this what the president goes
through in a day’s time?"  There was a lot of information to learn
while I was there.  I was impressed when I saw a lady with a black
poodle as her guide dog.  When I came back and told others my
surprise, they said that this was nothing new, but it was new to me.
Some people use guide dogs, but I guess it is their preference. As for
me, I will be seen with my white cane.

The Center requires that everyone does a volunteer job, giving back to
the community. While I was on vacation, I did some volunteer work at
my Auntie’s shop, Hosey Antiques.  I did some data entry for her,
getting her store updated.  When I was little, they had an ice cream
shop.  I used to go in and help serve the customers, but really, I was
there to get me some ice cream.  I also had time to spend with family,
which has always been important to me.  My family is from Victoria,
Texas.  My dad was in the service, and that is how I landed in
Nebraska.

I have learned that blindness comes to people from all walks of life.
I came to the Center and met others in the same situation.  Before
becoming blind, I didn't know the true meaning of blindness.  Now, I
met others sharing similar experiences with me, and I know that I am
not alone.  Each day is to be lived with grace.  I was worried about
my report, but there is no right or wrong answers.  It’s about what
you learned.  We are all accountable for our actions.  I am glad I
made the decision to come to the Center.  I have completed my mission,
but there is more to come in order for me to succeed.  I just have to
stay focused.  My main priority is to get my health in order and to
continue to learn.

Center Article
By Novelle Williams

When I first began losing my sight, I felt depressed, and I felt like
I couldn't do anything. I was
Always locked in the house. I didn't start riding buses until I was
around fourteen, and there was only
one bus I could ride because I didn't know where the others went to.

Before I started my Center training, my life was pretty dull. My
Braille and computer skills were very poor, so reading and writing
were difficult for me. Getting around meant having to depend on
someone else. I didn't cook very much for myself, and I don't feel
that I was doing a very good job of cleaning my apartment. I did have
a job for a few months at Burger King, but then I was laid off. I also
worked for about two years at the Chicago Light House for the Blind,
in their workshop, doing assembly work, but I really wanted to be
doing something more than this.

Being blind made me feel very upset because I was never taught
Braille. As my vision became worse, I lost my ability to read. Doing
simple things, like programming my TV set became impossible for me. I
had never used a cane; I had been able to walk around without one
before my sight became worse, and I didn't feel comfortable using the
cane. My friends seemed to pull away from me, and that has been one of
the hardest parts of losing my sight.

When I moved to Nebraska, my sister told me about the Commission for
the Blind and the Center. My sister helped me to call the Commission,
and then I was put in contact with Jamie Forbis. Jamie worked with me
on the skills I needed, and eventually, she suggested that I come for
a tour of the Center. After my tour, I decided to come for a three-day
stay, where I had the chance to see what the classes were like. Coming
to training was a very hard decision; I just wasn't sure if the
training would work for me. I was also concerned that it might be like
the training I had received before, and that really didn't help me
very much. The three-day stay experience helped me to see that this
program was different, and I decided that I should go for the full
Center training, which has lasted nine months.

My first week at the Center was overwhelming, with getting used to the
rules and wearing the sleep-shades all day. It was also a matter of
getting to know the staff and the other students. Life in the Center
is very busy, and it takes a while to get used to the pace. It is a
lot like going to work. You have a lot to do, and a lot you are
responsible for. They expect a lot from you in the training, but I
learned that it is only because they really believe that you can do
it.

The other students were friendly, and they helped me to get used to
being in the Center. My friend Glenda really helped me to calm down,
especially when I was going on my first drop. My girlfriend Pam also
came to the Center, and she has given me lots of encouragement. It has
been good to have her here with me. Having other students going
through the Center with me has helped me to know that I am not alone
in learning to deal with my blindness.

The instructors in the Center are very encouraging, and if you have a
problem, you feel that you can talk with them about it. They are not
just your instructors; they are like your family.

In Home Management class I have been learning lots of recipes, and I
am doing a lot more cooking for myself. I can write a grocery list,
shop for the things I need, label the things I buy, and cook what I
want to have. I can also do some important things like sew on a
button, and do a better job of cleaning. At first Cindy, the Home
Management instructor, was kind of tough on me, but now we get along
great. She has really taught me a lot about cooking and taking care of
my home. I've made dinners for lots of other people, and I have really
enjoyed being able to do this.

In shop class, I learned how to use a click ruler to measure, and I
learned how to use power tools, like the drill press, radial arm saw,
and the table saw. At first, learning to measure, especially things
like boxes, was very tough. It is a very challenging class, but Mike,
the shop instructor, makes it really fun. For my project, I made a
cutting board, and I'm going to have that in my apartment to use in my
kitchen.

Mitzy, the computer instructor, is a crazy lady, but she makes
learning fun, and she is a terrific teacher. She has taught me so much
about the key strokes, using MS Word, email, and the internet.
Sometimes it is hard for me to believe how far I have come. I've even
started to learn to use MS Excel.

Braille was one of my most challenging classes. It was a lot harder to
learn all of the contractions and to feel the dots than I thought it
would be. Sahar was a tough teacher, and sometimes she seemed to get
frustrated with me, but she really did help me to learn. I still have
a lot to learn in Braille, but the Center training has given me a good
start.

When I first started with Travel, I was really shocked when Jeff
started sending me out on my own, especially to places where I hadn't
been before. I had never had a cane teacher do that. It was very
challenging at first, but soon I was figuring out how to go places on
my own, and finding addresses where I had never been. The biggest
challenges in travel were the "drops." At first, my drops were in
places where I'd been, but then, they got harder, and I was even
dropped at a cow barn on the UNL East campus. The thing is, I was able
to figure out how to get back, which made me feel like I could handle
just about anything.

At first, I wasn't sure I really wanted to go to the Center. I'd been
through training before, and I didn't think this would be much
different. Now, I am really glad I decided to go. I learned a lot, and
I feel much more sure of myself now that I have finished my training.

Center Article
By Mortel Crawford

The Commission for the Blind gave me training through the Center for
the Blind, where I learned problem solving, structured discovery, and
a whole lot of other neat things.  The program has classes like home
management, where you learn how to cook, bake, and arts and crafts.
Travel class is where you go on independent travel routes, learn how
to locate addresses, and find your way back from drops. Shop class is
where you learn every wood working tool and you can build one project
of your choice. I would have to say that Computer class is all fun all
the time, where you work on Windows 7, Windows 8, and the Mac
computer. Braille class is where you learn Braille, including all the
contractions. When I was in training, it was hard for the first couple
of weeks, but then it got easier with time.

In Home Management class, I found out that I wanted to become a chef.
I cooked all kinds of food like eggrolls, homemade cookies, and a
whole lot of other great meals that will have your mouth watering.

Travel class is frustrating at first, but you have to stay calm and
listen to your sound cues. Going on drops is a part of the training,
where you ride around in a car and get dropped off somewhere, without
being told where you are. Then, you have to find your way back to the
Center using what you have learned.

Shop class is where you learn to use all types of wood working tools.
You learn all the tools in shop, and then you can build a project of
your choice. One of the tools you learn is the Click Ruler. It is a
special ruler that you can use by feel and sound, and it helps you
with measurements. This is a class to help you build your confidence
and learn different alternatives to solve problems. I made a 2 by 5
foot entertainment stand.

In Braille class, I took my midterm, and I only had one mistake. I
could hardly believe it. I almost had a perfect midterm. Now I’m
working on volume two of the Braille Basics book, and hopefully I will
ace my final. Only time will tell.

In Computer class, I learned every key on the keyboard. I also learned
how to write a one-page report. I am feeling like I can do anything I
put my mind to.

The Commission staff is always willing to help. I want to mention
Jeff, Mitzy, Cindy, Mike, Sahar, Fatos, Connie, Cheryl, Joyce, and the
Lincoln District Counselors. They do their best to make training a
good experience for you.

I also want to talk about some of the people I have met along the way,
like Aung Tun. He was one of the students that helped me know that
this training can be fun, and he gave me a lot of laughs on the way to
his graduation. Marietta is another student that helped me.  She is
nice, and she always has something good to say. Pam, Novelle, Sydnie,
Glenda, Jan, and Stephanie all became my friends. They are like my
family. They helped to make the Center my home away from home.  Thanks
everyone for all of your help and support.

Going through training is one of the best things I could have done for
myself and my son, Mortel Jr. He has watched me grow and persevere
through all of these difficult life changes and challenges, like
completing my GED while going through training.  All I can say is
thanks, and stay tuned for more to come.

The following is a report written by Mortel Crawford.  Mortel is one
of two clients that have received their GED while attending Center
training.  Here is what he shared in one of his GED reports:

These are some of my goals for this year. Though I have many goals,
these are the three main goals that I'm working for. The first goal of
my choice is furthering my education. The second goal is finding a
good job so I can support my family financially. My third and final
goal for this year is being a good role model for my son.

Going through school is important to me because with an education I
can make it to where I want to be in life. After I complete my GED, I
will be enrolling in Culinary Arts school to become a master chef. I
have a tour of the Culinary Arts school in Omaha on August 19 to see
if I like this school. Cooking is something I have always enjoyed
doing.

Secondly, finding a good job is important to me because I want to be
able to take care of my family. Mortel Jr. needs basketball equipment.
A good job will allow me to move my family to a safer environment.
This goal can be achieved by submitting a good resume and networking.

Most importantly, I want to be a good role model for my son. Even
though I made mistakes in my past, he can see through me that you can
turn your life around. With me being a good role model to him, he
won't have to walk down the wrong path. I will study hard, go on job
searches, and explain to him the importance of my schooling. I also
can educate him on blindness so he can know what I'm going through and
also understand it when he sees people in the same situation.

Furthering my education, finding a good job, and being a good role
model for my son are my three most important goals of this year. These
goals are important to me because I didn't graduate from high school
and was forced to work under-the-table jobs, making it hard to support
my family. I want my son to look up to me and learn from me and become
a better man than I am.

The following article is written by Karla Scholl, Assistant Professor,
at Bryan College of Health Sciences.  For the last year, Karla has
been instrumental in sending over 100 of her students to the Center
for an entire day to learn about blindness.  These nurses come to us
during their community enrichment rotation.  Here is what Karla has to
say:

My Experience at the Nebraska Commission for the Blind

This past year, I was given the task of developing a new nursing
course. This senior level course would focus on medical diseases,
along with chronic illnesses and their impact on people’s lives.  I
needed to address how people live day to day with chronic illnesses
such as Parkinson’s, rheumatoid arthritis or Alzheimer’s.

So, knowing I do some of my best thinking when I have a hot cup of
coffee in front of me, I headed to the local hometown coffee shop.
There I sat thinking of how I was going to teach this class and what
topics I wanted to address.

While sitting there, I watched a blind woman enter the shop, walk up
to the counter and order coffee.  I noticed that, using her white
cane, she had maneuvered quite easily through the coffee shop.  I
found myself watching her with admiration and curiosity. I also
noticed that I was asking myself:  “How did she learn how to use that
cane?  What would I need to do for her if she was my patient?  What
would it be like to lose my vision?”

As I sat there, it became apparent to me that I knew very little about
caring for a blind person.  I realized I had always avoided caring for
these people because I didn’t know how to.  At this revelation, I
decided that I needed to learn.  If I was to teach a class about how
disease processes affect people’s lives, then I needed to learn how
blindness affects their lives as well.

When I returned to my office, I phoned the Nebraska Commission for the
Blind and spoke with Mrs. Fatos Floyd.  I told her about my coffee
shop experience and that I wanted to learn about the visually impaired
and she asked if I would like to spend a day “acting” like one of the
students at the center?  I jumped at the chance!  There would be no
greater place to learn what it is like to be blind than at the school
where this is their focus!

When that day arrived, I will admit I was nervous of what to expect.
I was also a bit fearful I would say something that would show my
ignorance.  But I was welcomed with open arms by everyone there.

Fatos greeted me at the door and taught me about the Nebraska
Commission: its purpose, funding, requirements and what the students
learn.  From there I was given a pair of “shades” and was taken to the
computer department where I learned about the different programs that
are available to assist the blind with working on the computer.  I was
given the opportunity to experience one of the programs, and I did
poorly.

Next I learned about Braille. After wonderful instruction on how the
alphabet was written, I was able to “read”  7  three letter words in
Braille!  Not bad for a beginner.

The next phase of my orientation was in “shop.”  Here I was allowed to
remove my shades so I could see some of the wood and furniture
projects the students were working on.  I was totally amazed! There
were tables, a dresser and several pieces of furniture with intricate
carvings.  How could they do that?  They can’t see!  Then after
putting my shades on, I was taught how to measure wood, work with
specific tools and learn a few of the other skills the students learn.
 What a wonderful experience!!

The final part of my day consisted of walking outside with several of
the students.  Here we learned about walking on uneven surfaces,
listening to traffic noise and feeling the sun on our faces to help us
determine our direction.  This too was an amazing experience.

Lastly, I joined the staff during their lunch period.  Here I was able
to ask the questions that had motivated me to learn about the
Commission.  “What would I as a nurse need to do differently for them
if they were my patient?”  “What would they like me to know?”  and
“What should all health care practitioners know about caring for a
blind patient?”  It was wonderful to hear from both staff and
students.

I knew early on in the day that this was something I wanted my senior
students to experience.  So Fatos and I met to discuss how this
experience could be tailored to nursing students.  Several weeks
later, the students were back in school and each student was assigned
to spend one day at the Nebraska Commission for the Blind.

When I look back on my day at the commission, I know I was a changed
woman when I left.   I felt such warmth and compassion by everyone
there at the center.  But more importantly, I also learned more than I
ever dreamed of.  It totally opened my eyes to the world of a blind
person.

One of the requirements for the students going to the Nebraska
Commission of the Blind is to write a short paper addressing some
“myths” about blind people and what they, as a student, learned from
the experience.

It has been so interesting to read the student comments.  Here are a few.

One student wrote: “I realize now that I have not treated a visually
impaired person like I should have.  I realize they are very capable
and don’t need me to do everything for them.  I now understand some of
the struggles they deal with every day.  I have learned a great deal
that I will carry with me into my nursing career.”

Another student wrote: “This experience has had a positive effect on
my perceptions of the blind.  Beforehand, I had created opinions of my
own without any knowledge.  I have learned that these opinions are
completely wrong.  I have come to realize that these people are
independent people who are capable of nearly everything.”

“This experience has opened my eyes,” writes another nursing student.
"It has greatly changed my beliefs that being blind is a burden.
These people are very capable of living a full and vibrant life just
like I am.  I have been very lucky to have participated in this
experience.  Every nurse should do this!”

Lastly, another student wrote "This experience really changed the way
I look at people who are blind!  It has made me realize as nurses we
should be advocates for their independence, not foster dependence.
Thank you so much for allowing me this life-changing experience. This
was the best one I have done throughout my whole four years of
school!!”

In summary, learning what it is like to be blind has been a life
changing experience.  It has taught us when caring for a blind
patient, we must allow them independence and not assume they need
help.  It has provided insight into the life of a visually impaired
person and allowed us to gain knowledge and understanding of what we
must do as nurses.

I personally would like to thank Mrs. Floyd and all the other staff
who work with the students.  Your caring and knowledge has changed
their beliefs and opinions.  It has truly impacted their life as a
nurse.
Thank you.

Submitted by:
Karla Scholl MSN RN
Assistant Professor
Bryan College of Health Sciences

The following is an article written by Sahar Husseini, the Braille
instructor at the Nebraska Center for the Blind.  Sahar has been an
instructor at the Center for the last twelve years.

You get out of it what you put into it
By Sahar Husseini

Why should someone give up six to nine months to go to Center
training?  It is often difficult to leave life behind to take that
journey, so why should anyone do it, and what does it take to succeed?

I had to stop my life right in the middle of college to go to a Center
to learn the skills that I needed to succeed.  I didn’t think I needed
these skills.  I was sure I would be fine.  After all, I had been
blind all of my life, and I even went to a residential school for the
blind.  Shouldn’t I have had all of the skills that I needed?  I
thought I did, but my grades told a different story.  I was also
dependent on someone to transport me to college, and if they were
sick, I had no way to get there.  This meant that my success depended
on someone else, and it took a year of college to realize that I did
not measure up to my expectations.  I did not have the skills
necessary to achieve the success I so desperately craved.

Center training was one of the most rewarding experiences in my life.
Not only did it teach me the skills I needed to succeed, but it gave
me the confidence to reach my goal.  Center training changed my life.
I went from an insecure college student to a woman on a mission.  Even
though I always knew I wanted to be successful, I was quite unsure of
myself because I did not have the skills and confidence to reach that
success.  I went to a Center in Los Angeles, and I remember, quite
vividly, having to cross Vermont Avenue, a busy street in Los Angeles.
 I don’t think I’d ever been as terrified, before or since that street
crossing.  I tell you this because I want you to understand that even
though blindness training can be quite challenging, and yes, even
sometimes terrifying, it gives you the confidence to achieve what you
want in life.

We often tell people that you get out of this training what you put
into it.  Because this training can be grueling, you have to be an
active participant.

One of the articles in this newsletter talks about me as a tough
teacher.  Yes, indeed, I am tough, not because I like to be cranky,
but because I want my students to be successful.  I want to push them,
and I want to see them make an effort even when things are tough.

This is probably not always wise because people sometimes don’t want
to learn, and the pushing doesn’t make it happen.  This training only
works because it changes attitudes.  As a Braille teacher, I find that
most people have a hard time learning the Braille because they think
it is hard.  I remember one of my students saying, almost in every
class, “This isn’t going to be easy."

"Larry,” I finally said, “Braille will not become easier for you
unless you stop saying that.”  I have no doubt that Braille is
difficult to learn for some people, and I know that some people cannot
feel the dots.

However, I do know that most people do learn Braille, but they can
only do it if they work on it, constantly and consistently.

I heard it said that “Success is a journey, not a destination.”  A
journey cannot be traveled unless we do the traveling, and a bridge
cannot be crossed unless we do the crossing.  I have seen Center
training transform lives, but it took a lot of hard work and
perseverance.  The first step to success is to believe in yourself.
You must have no doubts that you can travel the road to success, and
you must travel that road, one step at a time.  Michael Jordan said
that “If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up.  Figure
out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.”

The following article is written by Cindy Zimmer, the Home Management
instructor at the Nebraska Center for the Blind.  Cindy has taught at
the Center for the last twenty-one years.

January 2013 – October 2013
On the Back Burner
By Cindy Zimmer, Home Management Instructor

Clients are back from holiday break and we began working on etiquette
skills.  We covered information such as proper place settings, what do
I do with all these forks, etiquette when dining out and how to store
your cane.

In March, the Center hosted a Banquet at Southeast Community College
so the clients could practice what they had learned.

We’ve been working on Buffets, all the live long days.  In March, we
went to two different buffet; Amazing Pizza Machine, and Golden
Corral. Oh, so much food to choose from.

Here comes Peter Cottontail.  Hopping down the bunny trail.  We tried
several new methods of dyeing Easter Eggs, like wrapping your egg with
a doily to create a unique pattern before immersing it in color and
using shaving cream to swirl a cool design of color on your egg.

Since my last edition of "On the Back Burner," 5 mini meals and 6
Commencement Meals were hosted at the Center.  We enjoyed a Mexican
Feast, Scalloped potatoes and Ham, Chicken Cordon Bleu, pizza
casserole, Salisbury steak, Chicken Penne casserole, Chicken Salad
Sandwiches, meatball subs, bacon wrapped chicken and chicken teriyaki
with rice.

My bags are packed I’m ready to go.  The taxi is waiting he’s blowing
his horn.  We’re not lonesome though.  Two clients packed their bags
and headed to Florida to the National Federation of the Blind
Convention and two clients packed their bags and headed to Ohio to the
American Council of the Blind National Convention.  All clients
reported having great experiences and learned a lot from
participating.

In case you are wondering, YES several clients and one staff trainee
entered items in the Lancaster County Fair this year.  In case you are
wondering, YES they brought home some ribbons.  Entered were Rocky
Road Bars, Pressed Cream Cheese Mints, Coffee Cake, Bundt Cake,
Dehydrated snack mix, Dehydrated raisins, Lucky Charm Bars, and
Ashley’s jewelry stand she made in shop.  I’m so proud of everyone for
giving it their all and trying something different.

Sushi Time!  Did you know that sushi does not mean raw fish?  Sushi
means soured rice and sashimi means raw fish.  A former client and I
took a class at Hy-Vee where we learned how to make sushi.  We made
ours with crab meat, shrimp and seasoned chicken and lots of good
veggies.  More recently, I taught the skills I learned in class to
another client here at the Center, and then the two of us taught the
entire group to make sushi.  It’s not as hard as you think once you
know how to do it.

Our big news at the Center is…...Mortel earned his GED!  He worked so
hard while here at the Center and we are so very proud of his
accomplishments.  Way to go Mortel!!!

Red, green, or yellow?  What about Empire, Jonathon, Golden Delicious,
and Honey Crisp?  The students and staff went on an activity to the
Arbor Day Farm in Nebraska City.  We hiked along the trails and
“played” in the tree house.  We enjoyed the Discovery Ride where we
learned about the history of Arbor Day and efforts of J. Sterling
Morton.  We picked and ate a “few” apples too.

We hope you’ve enjoyed reading this issue of our newsletter, and may
you have a wonderful year ahead of you.

Don’t forget to check out our FB page at:
www.facebook.com/NebraskaCenterForTheBlind
and our Twitter feed at:  https://twitter.com/necenter4blind

We also have a monthly blog which can be found at:
http://nebraskacenterfortheblind.blogspot.com/

Sincerely,
The Center Team