[nfbmi-talk] systemic issues of access denied

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Tue Nov 12 19:27:16 UTC 2013

Dear Elmer and All,

Now after my signature line find one of MPAS’s priorities which includes basic access to VR and IL programs. Yet I’ve documented systemic and specific violations (especially of my and other blind persons rights to timely and accessible information let alone basic access from BSBP and The Disability Network.

I’m wondering what in the world MPAS is going to do about enforcing our rights under the ADA, Title II and Section 504 to, again even timely and accessible information, let alone program access.

Joe Harcz

Eliminate Employment Barriers and Enforce Rights

Photo of a man and a woman working on a computer

Employment can often be a vehicle to independence, identity, social engagement, and other beneficial characteristics. Unfortunately, people with disabilities

have been consistently underrepresented in the work place despite having marketable skills and the desire to work.  Moreover, people with disabilities

that do find “employment”, are often working in segregated environments making wages which are not on par with typically-abled peers performing similar

work. MPAS supports people with disabilities earning competitive wages in integrated settings and eradicating the ability of community rehabilitation programs

to pay people with disabilities below the minimum wage.

Objectives

List of 2 items

Improve access and rights to services within vocational rehabilitation and centers for independent living

Individuals will assert their employment rights under the ADA and/or Section 504, as well as other employment laws

list end

Types of Possible Cases

List of 1 items

Individuals who have been denied services through Michigan Rehabilitation Services, Bureau of Services for Blind Persons, and Centers for Independent Living

list end

List of 1 items

Calls from individuals in sheltered employment settings or community based employment who are not compensated fairly, as required by law

list end

List of 1 items

ADA eligible individuals who are unable to request an accommodation or file a complaint on their own