[nfbmi-talk] MPAS Lawsuit

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 19 16:24:06 UTC 2013

That is nice of MPAS to sue over access to information from two private
entities, after the death of two persons, however it raises questions for
me.

1.  Is it not true that as I thought, the purpose and mission of MPAS is to
protect and advance the civil rights of persons with disabilities
encountering barriers to equality?

Now I would agree that in the true sense that death may qualify as a
permanent disability, however, it strikes me as rather strange that MPAS is
the entity that is seeking information to "investigate" the death of two
persons.  So it is not perceived that I do not care about the cause and
responsibility for the avoidable loss of life of two persons, I do in fact
believe that is important, however, I believe that limited resources of MPAS
could and should be better utilized, and suing to get access to information
would be more useful to persons with disabilities who are living and being
denied services as a result of violations of our civil rights under various
laws.

I know for a fact that Joe Harcz and I, and perhaps others within the blind
community have presented much information and documentation to MPAS
regarding the denial of fundamental civil rights, namely, equal access to
our system of justice, through the state administrative hearing process and
the courts, involving the state of Michigan, and the state's denial of a
fair and accessible system for blind persons, to achieve equality and
justice free of conflict-of-interest and non-discriminatory fundamental
access.

Given that background, it leads me to ask my second question:  How many
deaths of blind persons must it take for MPAS to take action against the
State of Michigan for the denial of fundamental rights to equal access by
blind persons?  And my third question:  any volunteers here who will give
their life for our cause?

Of course and indeed, I make light of the extent to which it takes for MPAS
to take substantive action on behalf of persons with disabilities to attempt
to secure our civil rights, however, to me, I believe it says more about the
politics and gamesmanship  that are played by those who are supposed to
promote equal justice and access by persons with disabilities, as well as
the general public.  This point is best demonstrated by the recent
legislation to move the Michigan Court of Claims for the Circuit Court to
the Court of Appeals, and whereby the Michigan judges' association feeling
it could not take a position and speak the truth about the new law, simply
because it just might, and most likely, would cost the state judges an
increase in pay.  I believe MPAS is likely in a similar position when it
comes to taking on the State of Michigan to comply with the law of equal
access to programs, services, and facilities by the blind and other persons
with disabilities.  MPAS likely believes, and rightly so, that to take on
the state to comply with accessibility law, MPAS would likely jepordize or
lose at least a portion of their operating budget funding.