[nfbmi-talk] braille

Christine Boone christineboone2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 03:31:05 UTC 2013

Hi Justin,

First let me say that I believe you have hit upon a fantastic initiative here.   I surely do not know of any other bills that have been written along these lines, and I like your idea very much.
It seems to me that it would be quite reasonable for you to ask your own local representative to draft some language and to introduce a bill if he or she is willing.  This would also give your representative some real investment in the idea, which could add to the passion he or she might bring to the effort.  This is always a good thing.

.  I would like to offer some thoughts on the nature of an historic building as it relates to Braille signage:
As you probably already know, historic buildings are generally exempted from the ADA because the requirements for physical accessibility can have a significant impact on the fasade, appearance, character and even the structure of a building.  In many cases the grand entrance will need to be altered in order to allow access to persons using wheelchairs at the same point of entry as non-disabled persons.  ADA required restroom modifications can also require significant structural modification to increase the physical size of these facilities; which in turn impacts other public areas throughout the building.  There are other examples, but you see where I am going with this I am sure.

On the contrary, Braille signage does not require any significant physical modification to the building.  The ADA does mandate the precise placement of Braille signage, but I think it would not be unreasonable for the proposed legislation to suggest that signs will be located in accordance with ADA specifications where possible, and that placement may be slightly modified in order to preserve the integrity of historic features within the Capitol building.

As an ADA consultant I would be pleased to provide additional assistance if this would be helpful.

What a great project this is Justin!  I wish you and the Wisconsin affiliate the best of luck !  While I do not know of other states having done this, I am certain that in both Pennsylvania and Michigan our Federation affiliates have spent considerable time contemplating how we might get our capitol buildings outfitted with appropriate Braille and raised character signage, and we will be following your efforts with great interest and encouragement.

Warmest Regards,
Christine

Christine L. Boone, esq.
christineboone2 at gmail.com