[nfbmi-talk] Fw: to farmer foia on foia

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Oct 23 17:40:20 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: Farmer, Mel (LARA)
To: joe harcz Comcast (joeharcz at comcast.net)
Cc: Rodgers, Edward (LARA) ; Haynes, Carla (LARA)
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:38 PM
Subject: FW: to farmer foia on foia

October 23, 2013

Paul Joseph Harcz

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 48485

joeharcz at comcast.net

RE: FOIA Request/FOIA Instruction Emails

Dear Mr. Harcz:

This notice is in response to the attached copy of your October 22, 2013 email requesting under the state's FOIA, MCL 15.231 et seq., copies of existing, nonexempt public records you describe as: ".any e-mail correspondence to you from August 25, 2013 to present advising you on how to respond to my requests for information from BSBP/LARA from either Michael Zimmer, Deputy Director of LARA and Edward Rodgers, Director of BSBP."

Pursuant to MCL 15.235, Sections 5(2)(b) and 5(4)(b) of the state's FOIA your request is denied. After a search, I certify that to the best of my knowledge, information, and belief, the public records you request do not exist within LARA under the name given by you, or another reasonably known name.  Pursuant to MCL 15.236, Section 6(1) of the state's FOIA, as the LARA's duly designated FOIA Coordinator, I am responsible for accepting and processing requests for LARA's public records in accordance with applicable provisions of the state's FOIA.

MCL 15.240 of the state's FOIA provides that you may (1) submit a written appeal regarding the denial of any portion of your FOIA request to Mr. Steve Arwood, Director, LARA, Attention, Michael Zimmer, Chief Deputy Director, P.O. Box 30004, Lansing, MI 48909. Your appeal must include the word "appeal" and identify the reason(s) for reversal of any disclosure denial; or (2) you may seek judicial review in circuit court within 180 days of this notice. If you prevail in court action, the court may award you reasonable attorney fees, costs, and disbursements. If the court finds LARA's actions to be arbitrary and capricious, the court shall award you, in addition to any actual or compensatory damages, punitive damages in the amount of $500.00.

Sincerely,

/S/Melvin Farmer, Jr.

Central FOIA Coordinator.