[nfbmi-talk] Fw: Fwd: Braille parapros needed

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sat Oct 26 03:13:50 UTC 2013

Wow, Terri, and indeed, indirectly Amyy thank you for posting this!!!

Regardless as to certification and all those debates why in the world
would't the state agency or district inthis case give this position to a
qualfied blind student or even a part time job to a good Braille user who is
blind like say you, or Nick or anyone else in that area?

I'm not ragging at you Terri at all with these comments. I hope you
understand that.

You, after all are not the problem, but rather the solution.

My goodness why there aren't more blind "para-pros" in this mix I just don't
know?

And why some blind folks aren't hired even in those "student assistant"
programs to act as para-pros, and get valuable work experience in transition
I just never knew, let alone the mentorship benefits.

But the current regime wishes to make these positions nepotistic in spite of
civl service regulations or inseptions.

In other words civil service was first concieved in the 118870's to try to
root out patronage in civil emplioyment and base it upon merit.

Now in Michigan we've gone to the merit system right in these simple
regards? I don't think so.

Are these folks hiring blind folks of all ages for these things who actually
know Braille and how to produce it, let alone teach it or are they just
crating jobs after the fact for sighted folks sucking off the system?

Mind you I've got nothing against sighted folks per se teaching Braille or
even sighted folks who know something about Braille (snidely here)