[nfbmi-talk] National Federation of the Blind of Ohio agenda

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 22:38:23 UTC 2013

AGENDA
67th Annual Convention
November 1 to November 3, 2013

Wyndham Garden Dayton South Hotel
31 Prestige Plaza Drive
Miamisburg, Ohio 45342
937-434-8030

Dedication: This convention is dedicated to the memory of Robert (Bob)
Eschbach and to his lifetime of tireless work on behalf of the blind
of Ohio and the nation and to his wife Patricia (Pat), who was his
constant companion and helpmate and still our colleague in the
movement and our beloved friend.

The NFB of Ohio would like to thank Karen Warner and her friends.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Bob Eschbach Obituary	Page 2

About the NFB of Ohio	Page 3
Navigating the Wyndham Garden Hotel	Page 3
Convention Arrangements and Registration	Page 4
Friday, November 1	Page 5
Saturday, November 2	Page 7
Sunday, November 3	Page 10
2013 Board of Directors	Page 11
Fundraising Opportunities	Page 15

Bob Eschbach Obituary

	Reverend Robert Myers Eschbach, 80, transitioned peacefully in his
sleep at home in Casa Grande, Arizona on Tuesday, January 22, 2013
after a confirmed diagnosis of cancer on the 6th of January.  Bob was
born in Baguio, Philippines on August 26, 1932 to missionary parents
Rev. Dr. Carl B. and Mrs. Ruth M. Eschbach.  He is preceded in death
by his parents, his sister and brother-in-law Margaret and John
Freeman, and brother James Eschbach, as well as his nine faithful
guide dogs.  He graduated from the Ohio State School for the Blind
(1950), Otterbein University (BA, 1954), United Theological Seminary
(MDiv, 1958), The Menninger Foundation (Fellow, Religion and
Psychiatry, 1967), and the University of Kansas (MSW, 1969).
	He served as a minister in the EUB and the United Methodist Churches;
as a community mental health professional; and as an administrator and
advocate for the blind and visually impaired as the Assistant Director
of BSVI for the State of Ohio, and the director of the similar agency
in Pennsylvania.
	Since 1969 he had been a leader in the National Federation of the
Blind - on the National Board of Directors for 16 years, as the
President of the Ohio Affiliate for 11 years, and by assisting and
encouraging blind people throughout the country whatever their need.
He is survived by his "lover and wife" of 53 years, Patricia L.
(Horne) Eschbach; children Mary E. Cunnyngham (Russ Meeker) of Ohio
and Frederick Carl Eschbach (Marilyn Deeter) of Arizona; grandchildren
Jason B (Elizabeth) Cunnyngham (OH) and Ian Michael Cunnyngham (HI);
sister-in-law Marilla Eschbach, and a host of family and friends who
all joyously celebrate his life.  At the time of his passing, Bob and
Pat were preparing to return to the Otterbein retirement community in
Lebanon, Ohio for the third time where he served as pastor in the
early 1960s and where they first retired, before moving to Arizona ten
years ago.  A service of celebration of his life will be held at The
United Methodist Church of Casa Grande, 1515 N. Trekell Rd., on
Tuesday, January 29th at 11:00 a.m.  A second celebration will be held
at Otterbein-Lebanon Retirement Community on a date yet to be
determined.  In lieu of flowers, please consider making a contribution
in his memory to the National Federation of the Blind (www.nfb.org),
200 E. Wells St. at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, Maryland 21230;
Otterbein-Lebanon Retirement Community (www.otterbein.org), 585 N.
State Route 741, Lebanon, Ohio.
NFB-O CONVENTION

NFB PLEDGE

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security
for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation;
and to abide by its constitution.

ABOUT THE NFB OF OHIO

The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio is a statewide
organization composed primarily of blind Ohioans. It is the state
affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind, Inc., a
national-membership organization which holds nonprofit tax-exempt
status under Section 501(c) 3 of the Internal Revenue Code. It is not
an organization speaking for the blind; it is the blind speaking for
themselves.
We know that blind people have very often lived tragic lives, and we
know that even now blindness can be defeating. But we also know why.
Not blindness, but society's devastating attitude about it constitutes
our burden. We, the blind of today, have carried out a revolution and
have won our independence. We have written our own philosophy, we have
found our own direction, and we have learned to speak with our own
voice—the National Federation of the Blind. We have taken our future
into our own hands, and we are changing what it means to be blind. We
now imagine a future full of opportunity, and as the voice of the
nation’s blind we invite you to help us make it a reality.

Navigating the Wyndham Garden Dayton South Hotel
by Barbara Pierce
The first thing you need to keep in mind about the Wyndham Garden is
that it is a holodome property. That is, its central architectural
feature is an atrium with recreational facilities: pool, hot tubs,
pool table, and a game room. The guest rooms on all three floors
circle this atrium. The rooms on the inside of the circle have sliding
glass doors that overlook the pool and room doors on the opposite wall
that give access to the corridors that in turn give access to the
outside and lead to the public rooms of the hotel. You cannot lock the
glass sliding doors from outside the room, so you should not leave
your room that way unless someone can lock the door from the inside
after you leave.
The main entrance of the hotel is on its east wall, toward the north
end. You pass through two sets of doors to reach the lobby. Just
inside the inner doors of this main entrance, on both the left and
right side, are small board-type meeting rooms, and the front desk is
on the west wall of the lobby, not far in front of you. If you turn
right (north) at the desk, you can turn left (west) at the north end
of the desk and walk toward the ballroom, which runs north/south along
the west side of the hotel. A foyer along the length of the ballroom
gives access to the various sections of the ballroom on the west side
of the foyer. If, instead of walking south along the ballroom, you
turn first right and then left, you will find the restaurant and bar
at the northwest corner of the building.
To reach the guest rooms, return to the front desk and turn left so
that you are walking south toward the atrium. On the right you will
pass an archway that gives access to the ballroom foyer about halfway
down its length. Continuing south along the carpeted corridor, you
will find sectional seating in the middle of the hall at a point when
the space opens into an art gallery. At the south end of this central
seating you can angle east or west to find corridors giving access to
wooden room doors, which have raised and Braille room numbers as
required by the ADA.
If you choose to go straight south instead of angling, you will reach
the northernmost of the two elevators. Turning left or right at the
elevator will take you straight east or west to doors giving access to
stairwells. The one on the east side is door 1, and the one on the
west end is door 4. At the ground-floor level these stairwells, as
well as doors 2 and 3 at the far ends of the corridors, each contain a
door to the outside, a door to the atrium, the door you just walked
through, and a door to the connecting guest-room corridor. The stairs
to the upper floors are also in this uncarpeted area. By the way, your
room key will open the outside doors, which are kept locked. You will
find the box for inserting the key card to the right of the door on
the outside. The grassy dog relief area is just outside door 4. A
trash receptacle will be available outside that door.
To grasp the guest-room layout, think of the hotel as an arrow with
the corridor leading from the front desk to the elevator already
mentioned as the shaft of the arrow. The arrowhead is the guest-room
area with the pool atrium in the center of the arrowhead. Parallel
corridors make a circuit around the arrowhead with a flattened tip,
that is, not coming to a point. The south elevator actually faces
south and is located at the extreme southern end of the hotel. The
innermost of the parallel corridors circles the atrium with a
chest-high wall separating the hallway from the drop to the atrium.
The outside wall of this corridor contains the glass sliding doors to
the rooms. Most of the ground-floor rooms are located only on the
outside wall of the hotel, though near the northern elevator the
wheelchair-accessible rooms are located on both sides of the outer
hallway.
If you take the time to study this description, it should give you a
place to begin learning the layout of the convention hotel.

CONVENTION ARRANGEMENTS

If you have any questions about convention arrangements, contact Karen
Warner, chair of the convention committee.

Registration and Literature

	NFB literature will be available during registration hours in the
Chandelier Area Friday, November 1, between 12:00 and 1:20 and 6:00 to
7:20 PM and Saturday, November 2nd, between 8:30 and 9:00 AM

Door Prizes

	Door prizes should be labeled clearly in print and Braille with the
donor's name and the amount of cash or type of gift. Paul Dressell is
in charge of door prizes. They may be brought to him directly or left
in Convention Registration.

Guide Dogs

If you have a problem with your dog or need advice or assistance,
contact Deanna Lewis (513-328-7976), president of our guide dog
division, or Debbie Baker (937-206-2935). The relief area is located
outside of door 4. A trash receptacle will be outside the door for
your convenience.

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 1

11:00–12:00 noon	Board Meeting
Gallery

12:00–1:20 PM		Convention Registration
Chandelier Area

1:30 PM 		Call to Order of General Session and Opening Remarks
		Eric Duffy, President
		Plaza D

1:35 PM			Welcome to Dayton
				Richard Payne, President, Miami Valley Chapter

1:45 PM			Convention Arrangements
				Karen Warner

1:50 PM			Roll Call of Chapters
				Shelbi Hindel, Secretary

2:00 PM 		A New Name, a Stronger Partnership:  Opportunities for
Ohioans With Disabilities and Bureau of Services for the Visually
Impaired
		Mindy Duncan, Director Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired, Columbus

2:30 PM		National Report
		The Rev. Sam Gleese, National Representative, Jackson, Mississippi

2:50 PM		Reading of proposed amendments to the constitution, Shelbi
Hindel and Eric Duffy

3:10 PM		Working Together For Positive Change Michael Kirkman,
Executive Director, Disability Rights Ohio

3:30 PM 		Changing What It Means to Be Deafblind in Ohio, Jennifer
Smith-Dudash, Columbus, and others

4:00 PM		The Business Enterprise Program in Ohio, The Past, the
Present, and the Future Annette Lutz, President, Ohio Association of
Blind Merchants; Karen Whalen, Former BE Program Manager; Jaret Roush
Be Area Manager
4:30 PM 		Reports and Resolutions

6:00-7:20 PM		Convention Registration
				Chandelier Area

7:00-8:00 PM		At-Large Chapter Meeting
				Colleen Roth, President
				Directors Room

7:00-8:30 PM 		Ohio Association of Blind Merchants Meeting
				Annette Lutz, President
Gallery East

7:30-8:30 PM		Resolutions Committee Meeting
				Deborah Kendrick, Chair
Directors Room

8:30 PM			Nominating Committee Meeting
				Sherry Ruth, Chair
				Directors Room

9:30-10:15 PM 	Radio Play Performance: Not the Royal Shakespeare
Company Presents “The Hot Hundred Grand Caper,” a Radio Play,
admission $5, sponsored by Ohio NAPUB
				Plaza D

10:00 PM. 			Hospitality
				Gallery Room

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 2

7:00-8:00 AM	Diabetes Action Network of Ohio (DAN) Breakfast
				Wanda Sloan, President
Garden Grill

7:30–8:45 AM	National Association to Promote the Use of Braille (NAPUB)
Continental Breakfast Meeting
				Barbara Pierce, President
Plaza C

8:30–9:00 AM		Convention Registration
				Chandelier Area

9:00 AM			Call to Order of General Session
Eric Duffy, President
Plaza D

9:05 AM			Why I Am a Federationist
				Kaiti Shelton

9:20 AM			Building the Federation
				William H. Turner, Chairman Membership Committee

10:05 AM			Report from the Talking Book Library
	Tracy Grimm, Ohio Library for the
	Blind and Physically Disabled

10:30 AM		Bringing the World to Your Home Through Student Exchange
Programs: Blind People Can Do It Too
		Mary Anne Denning, teacher of the blind, Cincinnati

10:45 AM 		Domestic Abuse and The Blind
		Cheryl Fields

11:00 AM		Going to College Blind, Past and Present: What We’ve Gained
and What We’ve Lost
Deborah Kendrick, freelance writer, Cincinnati; Emily Pennington,
sophomore, Xavier University, Cincinnati; Aleeha Dudley, Junior, Miami
University of Ohio, Oxford Ohio; Amy Neidhard-Doll, PhD, PE Director,
Rehabilitation Engineering and Technology Program, Wright State
Research Institute

12:00 PM		Recess
		(Those who have ordered boxed lunches can pick them up in the Chandelier Area.
		Only those with tickets will be served.)

12:15 PM           	Parents of Blind Children Division Lunch
Meeting, Carol Akers and Cindy Conley Co-Presidents
		Plaza C

12:15 PM		Ohio Organization of the Senior Blind
		Barbara Fohl, President
		Gallery

12:15 PM			Student Division Pizza Party
				Aleeha Dudley, President
				Patterson Room

12:15 PM	Domestic Abuse and the Blind, Cheryl Fields Octagon South

12:15 PM			Ohio Association of Guide Dog Users
				Deanna Lewis, President
				Directors Room

2:00 PM:  			Call to Order of General Session
Eric Duffy, President
Plaza D

2:05 PM  	New Tools for the Classroom and Social Networking Marc
Salaman GW Micro

2:45 PM 	The Ohio Developmental Disabilities Council, Its Mission and
Purpose: Are the Blind Included?
	Carolyn Knight, Executive Director, Columbus

3:00 PM 			Access To the Printed Word
				Deborah Kendrick and Eric Duffy
				Radio Reading Services in Ohio
				Sandy Turner, Director Voice Corps, Columbus

3:35 PM: 		You Can Ring My BELL

4:05 PM 		The Lions and the Organized Blind of Ohio: Building Better
Relationships
		Jim Downing

4:20 PM 		Creating A path to Employment
		Suzanne Turner, Benefits Counselor Cleveland Sight Center, Cleveland

4:40 PM 		Report from the Cincinnati Association for the Blind &
Visually Impaired
			John Mitchell, Executive Director, Cincinnati

5:00 PM 		Recess

6:00 PM		Annual Banquet
		Shelbi Hindel, Mistress of Ceremonies
		Plaza BC
		Banquet Address
		The Rev. Sam Gleese, NFB National Representative
Affiliate Awards and Scholarship Awards
		Money for the Movement

9:00 PM 		Post-Banquet Party until 1:00 AM
		Games, Plaza A
		Music, and Karaoke, by Nancy’s Karaoke,  	Garden Grill

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 3

7:30 AM 		First-Time Convention Attendees Breakfast with the President
		Garden Grill

9:00 AM		Call to Order of the General Session
		Plaza BC

9:05 AM		Memorial Service
		Eric Duffy and Paul Dressell

9:20 AM	A New Way To Vote Could It Be in Our Future?
Yung Nguyen, President, IVS, LLC

9:50 AM		Federation History in Song
		Paul Dressell and Barbara Pierce

10:10 AM		What Should We Expect from the Bureau of Services for the
Visually Impaired: Planning for the Future
		Eric Duffy and Deborah Kendrick

10:20 AM		NFB Philosophy Audience Discussion
		Barbara Pierce and the Rev. Sam Gleese

10:50 AM 		Second Reading of Proposed Amendments to the Constitution and Vote

11:00 AM		Treasurer’s Report
		Sherry Ruth

11:10 AM		Report of the Nominating Committee
		Sherry Ruth, Chair

11:20 AM		Affiliate Elections

11:40 AM		Closing Remarks by Eric Duffy

Noon		Adjournment

2013 BOARD OF DIRECTORS

President: Eric Duffy, (614) 377-9877 (c), (614) 935-6965 (h)
P.O. Box 82055, Columbus, Ohio 43202-0458
eduffy at pobox.com

First Vice President: Richard Payne, (937) 829-3368 (c)
1019 Wilmington Ave., Apt. 43, Kettering OH 45420
rchpay7 at sbcglobal.net

Second Vice President: Barbara Fohl, (440) 964-7824 (h)
1116 Thayer Ave., Ashtabula, OH  44004
barbfohl at pobox.com

Secretary: Shelbi Hindel, (614) 558-8059 (c)
185 Crestview Road, Columbus, OH 43202
Shelbiah1 at gmail.com

Treasurer: Sherry Ruth, (440) 324-4218 (h)
6922 Murray Ridge Rd., Elyria, OH  44035
babyruth2 at windstream.net

Board Members at Large

2011-2013

Sheri Albers, (513) 886-8697 (c)
9824 Dartmouth Way, Loveland, OH 45140
salbers1 at cinci.rr.com

Debbie Baker, (937) 206-2935 (c) or (937) 471-5193 (h)
1107 Burt St., Springfield, OH  45505
lahm at pobox.com

Susan Day, (937) 221-8250 (h) or (937) 503-3202 (c)
27 Council Court, Unit C, Springfield, OH 45504
Greymaster95 at gmail.com

Deborah Kendrick, (513) 321-2228 (h) or (513) 673-4474 (c)
2848 Ridgewood Ave., Cincinnati, OH 45213-1062
dkkendrick at earthlink.net

Barbara Pierce, (440) 774-8077
237 Oak Street, Oberlin, Ohio 44074
bpierce at oberlin.net

William Turner, (216) 355-4577
1064 E. 167th St., Cleveland OH 44110-1523
william.h.turner at ssa.gov

2011-2013

Bruce Peters, (330) 780-5827 (c)
1670 Liberty Dr., Akron, OH  44313

Crystal McClain, (937) 935-6188 (c)
416 North Main St., Bellefontaine, OH  43311
mcmcclain at columbus.rr.com

Fundraising Opportunities

NFB Scrip Ohio
http://www.shopwithscrip.com
Enrollment code: 444D4FLD314L4
Coordinators:
Shelbi Hindel, (614) 558-8059
Carol Akers, (614) 570-2083
For more information on blindness go to: http://www.nfbohio.org

Malley’s Chocolates of Cleveland
The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio is conducting a
fundraising activity with Malley's Chocolates of Cleveland, Ohio.

A website has been setup specifically for the National Federation of
the Blind of Ohio fundraising campaign. All purchases made on that
site will directly benefit the National Federation of the Blind of
Ohio. To connect to this site, please visit
http://www.malleys.com/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-ohio

Malley’s Chocolate
13400 Brookpark Road
Cleveland, Ohio 44135
Phone: (800) 275-6255
Fax: (800) 211-0567 All website content © Copyright 2013 Malley's
Chocolate. All rights reserved.