[nfbmi-talk] Fw: Fwd: National Certification in Literary Braille

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sun Oct 27 11:03:05 UTC 2013

Hi Amy and All,

My comments about lack of Braille signage in this facility are not meant at
all and, this is clear, to denigrate this program oor the good folks with
LIO. On the contrary both are as you suggest critical and valuable.

What my comments do go to is the utter disregard of the civil rights of
blind people under the ADA to have Braille signs in the built environment
including throughout our state library.

Years ago when I brought this topic up at a CIC meeting and where all voted
for a motion I made, Ms. Merc-Adams commented that this would also motivate
many kids to learn Braille. She said, "A lot of our kids ask why learn
Braille when we never see it anywhere?"

Aside from the wayfinding benefits, and safety implications raised character
and Braille signs on every permanent room in public buildings are
instructive to the blind and a symbol to the sighted of the value of Braille
in day to day life.

Again I promote this program here and also very happy that good, proficient
folks like Terri will be taking this test.

Joe