[nfbmi-talk] i agree with this and more

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sun Sep 8 15:16:31 UTC 2013

Folks long ago I sponsored a resolution from NFB MI on the equal rights of blind folks of all sorts to have and bare arms. I am as many know left of center in the political spectrum and some would think that I'm against folks having the right to bare arms ....I am not and certainly even if I was am a fervent believer in that which is afforded to sighted folks is also afforded to blind folks nonetheless.

This is a simple principle in law and equity.

Anyway enjoy this article.

Joe
Blind man buying gun: 'Public has a misperception about blindness' . Written by Jason Clayworth . Michael Barber is completely blind. Last month he purchased

his first gun, and on Friday he picked up his permit to legally carry that gun in public. Why? Because he wants to. It's his right. It's perfectly within

the realm of possibility and within our rights that a blind person can safely carry a weapon if he or she decides they want to do that, Barber said. Barber,

an employee of the Iowa Department for the Blind, is also president of the National Federation of the Blind of Iowa. He has taken a safety course and soon

plans to participate in practice shooting at a range. Barber and his wife, Kim, allowed the Register to accompany them as they purchased his first handgun

about three weeks ago at Bass Pro Shops in Altoona. When you shoot a gun, you take it out and point and shoot, and I don't necessarily think eyesight is

necessary, Barber said. If someone is attacking me, I'm going to be able to hear what they're doing, and if I need to use the weapon, I'll use the weapon.

Part of the desire to purchase and legally carry the gun in public is the challenge, he acknowledged. For me, the inspiration is just to see if I run into

any difficulties,Barber said in March, before purchasing his gun.I want to see if I will be permitted to obtain the permit to carry as a blind person.

If I'm not, I'll challenge it. Polk County doesn't deny permits because of visual impairment, Sgt. Jana Abens said. Barber obtained a training certificate,

and his background check didn't come back with any reasons for the Polk County sheriff to deny the permit. When Barber purchased a gun at Bass Pro Shops

on Aug. 15, it was the first time a blind person had purchased a handgun there, as far as operations manager Todd Godfrey could determine. The store's

clerks gave Michael Barber no static about his inability to see, and assisted him in obtaining two shoppers in the store to serve as the required witnesses

to his signature on paperwork required under federal law before purchasing the handgun. I think it's pretty cool. Everyone has Second Amendment rights,

and we thought that whatever we can do to accommodate him, we'll do our best, Godfrey said. Courtney Rinner and her boyfriend, Mason Ouderkirk of Indianola,

were the witnesses to the gun purchase. They watched intently as Barber, with his cane at his side, answered questions and was guided by his wife to sign

the necessary paperwork. My main thought was: 'I'd like to help him out. If I were in that position, I'd want someone to help me out, too, Ouderkirk said.

As for Barber, he said he knows people may read this article and conclude that blind people have no business carrying weapons. But he hopes that at least

some readers will stop and think a bit before reaching conclusions. The sighted public has a misperception about blindness that if you're blind, you can't

do this or that, Barber said. They don't stop to think that with proper training and with opportunity, you can. .