[nfbmi-talk] Fw: FOIA Response Taking Extension - Info on Tim Hortons

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Thu Sep 12 18:50:22 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Haynes, Carla (LARA)" <haynesc at michigan.gov>
To: "joe harcz Comcast" <joeharcz at comcast.net>
Cc: "Rodgers, Edward (LARA)" <rodgerse at michigan.gov>; "Luzenski, Sue (LARA)"
<LuzenskiS at michigan.gov>; "Pemble, Mike (LARA)" <PembleM at michigan.gov>;
"Belknap, Katie (LARA)" <BelknapK at michigan.gov>; "Essenberg, Rob (LARA)"
<EssenbergR at michigan.gov>; "Zanger, Connie (LARA)" <zangerc at michigan.gov>;
"Hull, James (LARA)" <hullj at michigan.gov>; "Duell, Elsie (LARA)"
<DuellE at michigan.gov>; "Edmonds, Lucy (LARA)" <edmondsl2 at michigan.gov>
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:39 PM
Subject: FOIA Response Taking Extension - Info on Tim Hortons

September 12, 2013 (Emailed and Mailed in the US Mail, Prepaid on this date)

Mr. Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.
E-mail: joeharcz at comcast.net
1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.
Mt. Morris, MI 48458

Re:  FOIA Response to Request for Information on Tim Hortons

Dear Mr. Harcz, Jr.:

This email is in response to your September 5, 2013, email request for
information under the Michigan Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), MCL 15.231
et seq, received by this office on September 6, 2013.

You have requested information as described in your email as:

"I am writing you today to request any e-mail correspondences between
yourself and the franchise known as Tim Horten's (sic) regarding the
establishment of a franchise in the Michigan State Capitol and/or the
"Anderson Building". At a minimum I wish for all documents related to
contractural arrangements, franchise fees and the existing contract itself."

In order to determine the extent of the research time, the size and number
of records of nonexempt information within BSBP responsive to your request,
a search must be undertaken.  For this reason, it is necessary to extend the
time for response, as permitted by Section 5(2)(d) of the FOIA, through
September 25, 2013.

If it is determined that there is a cost involved in the processing of this
request, you will be sent a letter which will include an invoice outlining
the cost (before or no later than September 25, 2013).  This letter may
either request a deposit (if the cost is over $50.00) or request payment of
the total cost if the amount is under $50.00.
FOIA Response - P.J. Harcz, Jr.
September 12, 2013
Page 2 of 2

Nothing within the ADA or Section 504 states that you will receive your
requested information free of charge.  It is a two-step process in the
determination of costs.  First, the Michigan FOIA (MCL 15.231 et seq),
allows an agency to charge for costs under Section 15.234, Section 4.
Second, while the ADA and Section 504 mandate that the material be produced
in an accessible format upon request and without charge neither the ADA or
Section 504 preclude us from charging costs under the Michigan FOIA.  We do
not charge for the labor cost to convert documents into an accessible
format.

Sincerely,

Carla Miller Haynes, FOIA Coordinator
Bureau of Services for Blind Persons

cc: Edward F. Rodgers II
Sue Luzenski
Mike Pemble
Katie Belknap
Rob Essenberg
Constance Zanger
James Hull
Elsie Duell
Lucy Edmonds

September 5 2013 to Rodgers Regarding Tim Horten'ss

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.
1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.
Mt. Morris, MI 48458
joeharcz at comcast.net
810-516-5262

Ed Rodgers, Director BSBP
(Via e-mail)

Dear Mr. Rodgers,

I am writing you today to request any e-mail correspondences between
yourself and the franchise known as Tim Horten's (sic) regarding the
establishment of a franchise in the Michigan State Capitol and/or the
"Anderson Building". At a minimum I wish for all documents related to
contractural arrangements, franchise fees and the existing contract itself.

In addition being blind I am again requesting without surcharge this
information in accessible format pursuant to Title II of the ADA, and
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended.

To wit: simply send those requested documents to my e-mail address listed
above as either/or Word attachments or plain text enclosures without again a
surcharge for said as that is a civil rights violation.

I thank you as always for your prompt and accessible response.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

Cc: file
Cc: several

Carla Miller Haynes
LARA Bureau of Services for Blind Persons (BSBP)
201 N. Washington Square, 2nd Floor
P.O. Box 30652
Lansing, MI  48909
Telephone:  517-373-2063 or Toll-Free 1-800-292-4200
Fax:  517-335-5140

www.michigan.gov/bsbp