[nfbmi-talk] Uber Comes to Ann Arbor, 2 Weeks of Free Rides

Matt McCubbin mgoalball at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 22:39:34 UTC 2014

Hello all,
I agree with J.J.. I'm loving these ride-sharing services here in
Boston, they certainly beat taking a traditional taxi any day. not
only are they often cheaper than a cab, but they offer a superior
experience from start to finish that can't be matched by a taxi.
With Lyft, for instance, I use my iPhone to flag a driver to my
current location. The phone already knows generally where I am, but I
can enter an exact address if the position is incorrect. Once a driver
is confirmed and on route, the app displays some useful information,
including the name of the driver coming to pick me up, the make/model
of vehicle they are driving, and an ETA for their arival. The app will
also display a picture of the car and driver on the screen. This is
already more info than I have ever received from a taxi service. I can
also give the driver a call to verify my location or give instructions
in finding me such as I have a cane, please call me when you arrive,
etc.
I could go on and on about not having to deal with cash, the rating
system or the other reasons why these services are great, but that's
what Google is for. I encourage anyone in Detroit or Ann Arbor who has
a smartphone to take either Uber or Lyft for a test-drive, no pun
intented. These services are revolutionizing the transportation
industry, and as a blind guy, I could use all the options I can get.
Just my thoughts,
Matt