[nfbmi-talk] Secret Affiliate Board Action & Expenditure

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Sat Dec 6 05:29:09 UTC 2014

Hello Dave,

Hear, hear.  We definitely need to work to improve rehab services.  Our
public image must reflect our broad organizational purpose, beyond reforming
state government.  We cannot ignore a state program which spends (or doesn't
spend)   $25 million to provide services which supposedly lead to
employment.  BS4BP reform  cannot be our identity, though.  Reform is very
important, but, must be a part of a larger agenda and public image.  Most of
all, we need to be united and trust those Federationists we elect, otherwise
we should elect someone we do trust.  For my part, I have faith in our NFB
state board.  I have no fear that they will ever do things contrary to
Federation interests or philosophy.

To achieve BS4BP reform we must come together to create an approach which is
long-term, effective and affordable.  I believe our only hope is in the
legislature.  Given the Republican dominance of Michigan government this
will be difficult.  Let me be quick to say that if it were Democrat
dominated the situation would be the same.  There are, presently, no checks
and balances.  So we have the even-more-difficult job of creating a plan
which we can get everyone to back and then be relentless in our presence in
the halls of the legislature until we accomplish our goals.  There is little
hope of protesting via email or other indirect means.  The way we win is
with face-to-face meetings and building relationships.

I was trying to make this point when I reposted the piece about Dale
Carnagie.  It was meant in a constructive way to suggest a shift in our
tactics, not to criticize anyone.  In my view, what we have been doing is
not effective, since things seem as bad or worse than ever.

Someone said that in war, eventually, it is necessary for opposing sides to
talk.  We need to create dialog, even if it is by getting the legislature to
hold oversight hearings or some other way of leveraging the branches of
government in our favor.  This is a long term job requiring people in the
halls of the legislature every week.  We must be alert to follow every
possible lead which may or may not lead to progress.  This may include
talking to BS4BP staff or administration or LARA Admin types.

I am not so jaded to think there are no people who will help us.  Somewhere
there is someone who can and will help.  We need to meet this person and
then be willing to do the legwork to follow through on the things that must
be done.  Some can be done via email or web posts, but, mostly, it will mean
boots on the ground downtown Lansing or at offices in our home communities,
at town hall meetings or coffee clatches on Saturday mornings where
representatives and Senators come to meet constituents.

I guess I am proposing a specific approach.  This is not the only possible
solution.Whichever thing we do, we need to be united.  If we vote to do
something, we must all be behind it and be willing to show up and
participate.The historic success of the NFB is rooted in our ability to work
together and stay on message.  There is no shame or weakness in standing
together once we have made a group decision.  In fact, it is the only way a
small organization like ours can be successful.  This is why we organize, so
that we can have a stronger voice.

Warmest Regards,

Fred