[nfbmi-talk] the kevin worley story

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 7 14:59:36 UTC 2014

I recall the event, as I was at home sleeping 16 hours a day while
recovering from mono.  Mark Eagle was a year old, and I wondered then if
this was his future facing ignorance, second-class citizenship, and a
general lack of dignity and respect by persons in authority and the public.
Fortunately, because of the NFB and our manning the barricades we now can
purchase a bus or airline ticket unquestioned as an equal to the sighted,
not surrender our white cane anymore than a sighted citizen with a walking
cane, or force into a career of basket weaving or broom-making.  Yet such
basic gains were not achieved by going-along-to-get-along, or reserved for a
few blind fortunate enough to be well connected.  Despite progress, many
barriers to equality, opportunity, security and independence need to be
removed, and the barricades to progress need to be manned on an ongoing
basis.

It never stops to amaze me how with success and money, and advancement in
age by some people, there is a lack of memory of roots and struggles, some
literally.