[nfbmi-talk] Great Backyard Bird Count Weekend

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Tue Feb 4 02:51:57 UTC 2014

ANNOUNCING

Another Great NFBMI Outdoor Event!

Great Backyard Bird Count Weekend

February 14-16

For All blind adults and youth, Families and friends.  For anyone interested
in joining with us to have fun and learn Birding By Ear techniques and
participate in a nationwide science event.

In conjunction with Cornell University and the worldwide  weekend of the
Backyard bird count We  Will be counting and recording all the birds we hear
at wildwood ranch during our 3 day adventure.  We will submit the data to
Cornell University in order to enhance and contribute to their bird
research.  We will use Braille and our full complement of alternative skills
of blindness in our procedures to gather, record and compile the data
demonstrating the abilities of blind persons to do field science..

During the weekend we will be involved in other fun activities such as snow
tubing, sled riding, building bird feeders, tracking winter wildlife, tree
identification by touch, playing around the fire place outside and inside,
Of course we will make and eat  large volumes of s'mores.

Bring your thinking cap.  We will challenge your knowledge of birds and the
outdoors with World famous birdbrain jeopardy.  There may be some gigantic
prizes, or not.

CHECK-IN will be February 14 at 6:00 pm -

Unfortunately we will have to leave by February 16 at 3:00 pm

We will be enjoying the comfortable rustic facility at Wildwood Ranch

4909 Brophy  Road

Howell, MI

CONTACT:  Donna Posont at 313-220-8140for registration and information.

COST  $10 including all meals and lodging

BRING  Bedding Towels and toiletries

FEEL FREE to bring snacks and games to share