[nfbmi-talk] yes where ed rodgers lives

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sat Feb 8 12:54:16 UTC 2014

Legally Blind Man Upset Sidewalks Not Being Sho - Flash Player Installation

LANSING TWP., Mich. (WLNS) - Mother nature has been demanding lately, but even when winter feels never-ending, it's important to think about safety.

Michael Levasseur is a single father living in Lansing Township, and he's also blind. He's especially upset because walkways in his area aren't shoveled,

so he can't get around alone. Levasseur has to wait for his two daughters to get home from school each day just to go outside.

"I wait for my kids because I can't do it on my own," he says. "I would love to be out here. Because that's me, I love to be out."

Levasseur says his neighbors do a pretty good job of clearing the sidewalks, but he's frustrated with local businesses. "Officials don't do anything about

it," he says. "They get down on residents."

But Kathy Rodgers, Lansing Township Supervisor, says an officer tickets individuals and businesses if they fail to shovel walkways within 24 hours of snowfall.

Rodgers says, "there's always problem areas and there's always problem properties."

Levasseur is frustrated that it's February and he feels there is no progress. "This is a safety hazard for anybody," he says. "Sighted or non-sighted."