[nfbmi-talk] Fw: FOIA Response to Request for BSBPCommissionforBlind Persons- Transcripts/Minutes & Reports

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri Feb 21 12:01:37 UTC 2014

Have done so before but here is what I sent you and others six months ago:

Part One - Rehabilitation Act and ADA Violations

I a person who is blind have requested from Rodgers, Director of BSBP in
accessible format (simple e-mail) all documents related to BSBP advisory
board (commission" meetings sent to commissioners. I also have requested the
state plan supplement in accessible format, In these regards I've invoked
the effective communications requirements of the ADA (Title II, subpart e,
communications, no surcharge, primary consideration) and the "auxiliary aids
and services provisions" of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.

In addition I've invoked several other references including the following
briefly stated here:

-Affirmative responsibility of public entities to effective communications,
118 F.3d 1400: Lewis "toby" Tyler, Plaintiff-appellant, v. City of
Manhattan, Defendant-appellee,united States of America, Amicus Curiae :: US
Court of Appeals (don't have the cite for district court case in which he
prevailed on injunctive relief and of course lawyers fees)

-

Segment from LARA's own accessible meeting policy:

"

 "7. Accessible information throughout the event. This includes speeches,

PowerPoint and other presentations, flip charts, hand-outs, films, videos
and

other information. For example, accommodations may include sign language

interpreters, assistive listening systems, and/or real-time captioning for

individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing. People who are blind or
visually

impaired may need materials in alternative formats such as large print,
Braille,

audiotape, and/or a computer disc. The information should be available
during

the event, and not sent after the fact.""

-And this segment from the general anti-discrimination section of 504:

""                  (vi) Deny a qualified handicapped person the opportunity

participate as a member of planning or advisory boards; or

                  (vii) Otherwise limit a qualified handicapped person in
the

enjoyment of any right, privilege, advantage, or opportunity enjoyed by
others

receiving an aid, benefit, or service."

-And finally this section from Title I of the Rehab Act:

"""    (e) Appropriate modes of communication. The State unit must provide

to the public, through appropriate modes of communication, notices of

the public meetings, any materials furnished prior to or during the

public meetings, and the policies and procedures governing the

provision of vocational rehabilitation services under the State plan.

(Authority: Sections 101(a)(16)(A) and 105(c)(3) of the Act; 29

U.S.C. 721(a)(16)(A), and 725(c)(3))"""

Yet, Rodgers turned these simple requests for information in to FOIA
requests and various parties in LARA have either denied outright my access
to even the state plan, or other documents requested or have tried to charge
me for even searching for documents already accessible and sent to
commissioners, or have delayed based upon these searches my rights to these
documents in a timely manner.

It is important to denote the willful indifference displayed here by these
state actors as they were again notified of their obligations.

Moreover, it is extremely important to note that Michael Zimmer himself
acted as the appeals person on my FOIA appeal which shouldn't have been FOIA
to begin with. He is the head of the Designated State Agency responsible for
the State Plan, and also heads MAHS, and now sets himself out as a
documented violator of my civil rights under the ADA, and Rehabilitation Act
related to this issue of access to information related to state plan and
meetings.

I think the conflicts are apparent on there face.