[nfbmi-talk] mi federationist in the news

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Jul 7 12:16:25 UTC 2014

Blind Southgate resident concerned about low-hanging branches along sidewalks

Published: Monday, July 07, 2014

By Laura Zoochi

The News-Herald

Twitter:

@lzoochinews

SOUTHGATE — A blind resident is concerned about low-hanging tree branches along many streets in the city.

“I’m outraged,” Bob Rehahn said. “My dog can’t always see them.”

Rehahn said he’s encountered numerous branches the last couple of weeks along major roads such as North Line and subdivision side streets. Last week, he

said, he “almost got my eye poked out” from one of the branches.

While tree limbs can be damaged during summer thunderstorms, Rehahn said, he believes it’s another cause.

“I think the kids are grabbing onto them and pulling down on them,” he said. “It’s a dangerous situation.”

Rehahn said he had a branch hanging low on one of his trees and had his lawn service worker cut it down.

“Everywhere I seem to walk, we’re dodging (tree limbs),” he said.

According to City Administrator Brandon Fournier, the city charter says the abutting property owner is responsible for ensuring that there is not an obstruction

on the sidewalk.

“Typically, we require a reasonable amount of time,” Fournier said. “If there is a tree that was on the public right of way and it came down, the city would

be responsible.”

Fournier said anyone with questions should direct them to the Department of Public Services at 1-734-258-3075.

Rehahn wants residents and business owners to understand the dangers of low-hanging branches or broken tree limbs blocking sidewalks, especially for blind

people.

“What if they were in my situation and they couldn’t see? “People just assume that people can see and walk around it,” he said.

The city “needs to go around periodically and cite residents and give them some sort of warnings to get these trimmed,” Rehahn said.

Contact Staff Writer Laura Zoochi at 1-734-246-0863 or

lzoochi at heritage.com.

Follow her @lzoochinews on Twitter and Tout.

Source:

http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2014/07/07/news/doc53b563817aae5466944811.txt?viewmode=fullstory