[nfbmi-talk] ADA does not apply to feds

joe harcz Comcast via nfbmi-talk nfbmi-talk at nfbnet.org
Tue Jun 3 13:40:47 UTC 2014

Actually the ADA doesn't apply to federal entities.

However, the grand daddy of all expansive civil rights laws for all people
with disabilities does apply to all branches of the federal government and
recipients of federal funds. That law or laws are in Title V (5) of the
Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended and include Section 504, and 508 in
this instance.

Note: that the ADA was expressly modeled upon Section 504, especially Title
II (state and local government).

Also 504 is now more than forty years old so not much excuse with the feds
following it.

Regardless, both laws are similar and so arelong standing obligations.

Now, back to practicality when the American Council of the Blind
successfully sued the Social Security Administration oover recieving
information in accessible format that was done under Section 504. Ditto for
the successful (in court) Treasury suit.

I know there was recently a suit against the Small Business Administration
under 504 and 508 as well.

Finally section 504 was first created to protect the rights of PWD in the
very Rehab process itself which makes all the violations to this day by VR
entities like BSBP all the more hidious indeed!

Anyway, the ADA is not applicable to the Executive Branch itself, but again
504 is.

Hope this helps.

Joe Harcz