[nfbmi-talk] FW: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] URGENT: Extension of Deadline and Help Needed in Recruitment

Fred wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Wed Jun 18 03:26:27 UTC 2014

From: State-affiliate-leadership-list
[mailto:state-affiliate-leadership-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
Riccobono, Mark via State-affiliate-leadership-list
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:45 AM
To: State Affiliate Leadership (state-affiliate-leadership-list at nfbnet.org)
Cc: Shaheen, Natalie
Subject: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] URGENT: Extension of Deadline and
Help Needed in Recruitment

Federationists:

We need your help! We have extended the deadline for high school students
applying to attend NFB STEM2U this upcoming school year because we did not
receive quite the response we were looking for. I can think of two possible
reasons for the low response rate: 1) the application deadline is pretty
early (per our normal promotion routines); 2) it may not be clear to the
students that you can come to these programs from anywhere in the country
(in other words you do not need to live in MD, MA, or OH (where the programs
will be held) in order to attend). Now that we have extended the deadline we
are doubling down on promotional efforts.

How you can help: reach out to any high school students that you know
personally, push this information out through your social media channels,
promote the program in any way you can think of.

Below the dashes under my signature is the contents of the promotional email
that we will be pushing out. Please feel free to use that verbiage in your
efforts to help with recruitment.

These programs are funded by a federal grant so it is even more crucial than
normal that we hit our target for number of participants. If you have any
questions about how you can help or other matters related to this program,
please feel free to write. You may also call/text my cell phone
(614-327-5100).

Thank you in advance for your help! I know this is a very busy time! I'm
looking forward to seeing everyone at the convention!

Yours in the Federation,

Natalie Shaheen

Natalie L. Shaheen, MEd

Director of Education

Jernigan Institute

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

-------------------------------------

Attention blind and low vision high school students:

Have you heard that this coming school year the National Federation of the
Blind is facilitating exciting science, technology, engineering, and math
(STEM) programs across the country! These programs are particularly exciting
for high school students, as they will provide you with the opportunity to
step up into the role of mentor and leader for younger blind students.

Being a mentor is a fun and rewarding opportunity! You likely know, from
your own experience, how much of a difference a mentor can make in your
life. Did you know the experience can be just as impactful for the mentor as
it is for the mentee?

High school students who participate in the NFB STEM2U programs will attend
a Leadership Academy this September to prepare for their work as mentors and
leaders at the regional programs later in the year. That's two programs in
one year and no registration fee to boot!

**The application deadline for high school students has been extended to
June 30, 2014.** Don't miss your opportunity to capitalize on this great
experience!

 <http://www.blindscience.org/nfb-stem2u> LEARN MORE and
<https://nfb.org/stem2u-student-application> APPLY before June 30, 2014!

Program Dates:

*        NFB STEM2U Leadership Academy; September 5-7, 2014 (a special event
for high-school-aged participants)

*        NFB STEM2U Baltimore (MD); November 6-8, 2014

*        NFB STEM2U Boston (MA); March 12-15, 2015

*        NFB STEM2U Columbus (OH); May 14-16, 2015

Do you live in a state other than Maryland, Massachusetts, or Ohio? No
problem! You can apply to attend the programs as long as you live in the
United States!

If you have questions, please contact Natalie Shaheen by email at
STEM at nfb.org or by phone at (410) 659-9314, extension 2312.

This material is based upon work supported by the National Science
Foundation under

Grant No. 1322855.

P.S. If you know blind or low vision elementary school students or teachers
who work with blind students, be sure to tell them about the programs, too!
Their applications are due July 31