[nfbmi-talk] This is A Cool Event! FW: [Mi-abs] Midwest Meetup: Day at the Dunes -- Get Those Students Registering!

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Mon Jun 23 20:29:14 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Mi-abs [mailto:mi-abs-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Christopher
Meyer via Mi-abs
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2014 1:59 PM
To: 'List for NABS State Presidents'
Cc: 'Georgia Association of blind students'; 'Minnesota Association of blind
students'; 'Kentucky Association of blind students'; 'Illinois Association
of blind students'; 'Michigan Association of blind students'; 'North
Carolina Association of blind students'; 'Nebraska Association of blind
students'; 'New Hampshire Association of blind students'; arkabs at nfbnet.org;
'Missouri Association of Blind Students'; fabs at nfbnet.org; 'cabs-talk blind
students'; 'Colorado Association of Blind Students'; 'Massachusetts
Association of blind students'; 'Texas Association of blind students';
'Louisiana Association of blind students'; 'Maryland Association of blind
students'; 'Ohio Association of blind students'; 'New Mexico Association of
Blind Students'; 'Alabama Association of blind students'; 'New Jersey
Association of blind students'; 'Wisconsin Association of blind students';
'New York Association of blind students'; 'Utah Association of blind
students'; nabs-l at nfbnet.org; 'Virginia Association of blind students';
'West Virginia Association of blind students'; 'Tennessee Association of
blind students'; 'Arizona Association of blind students'
Subject: [Mi-abs] Midwest Meetup: Day at the Dunes -- Get Those Students
Registering!

Hello NABS Presidents,

As you will probably have seen, I posted the following email to NABS-L, and
the IN and IL student divisions are looking to get the word out far and wide
on this event! I have sent similar emails previously to the Midwest student
division presidents whose emails I could find, but we could use responses
from those I contacted! Would WI, OH, and IA especially be in touch? Also,
I'd love to hear from MN, MI, and NE!
Also, to those division presidents not in the Midwest: we all have those
transient students who study in one state and go home to another for the
summer. (I have even heard of division presidents in this very situation).
Would you please take a momentand think of any students in this situation,
either in the Midwest for the summer or going back in the fall (and
therefore prime to make some good student contacts in the meantime!) Your
brief help is really appreciated by us in Indiana and Illinois, and all us
friendly Midwesterners!

Below is that email; feel free to forward as many times as those spam
filters will allow!

Best Wishes from Your Indiana Division President,
Christopher Meyer
President, Indiana Association of Blind Students
chsmeyer at indiana.edu | (765) 480-2978

Hello NABSters,

I write to share an exciting collaboration of the Indiana and Illinois
Associations of Blind Students, with the gracious support of our state
affiliates. This event is the Midwest Meetup: Day at the Dunes, a
recruitment and social event underpinned by core Federation philosophy. This
event, taking place July 20th, 2014, will be on the shores of Lake Michigan,
in Michigan City, Indiana! If you have ever been to the Indiana Dunes on
Lake Michigan, you will know that the day will be fun, relaxed, and--of
course--sunny!

All the vital information is copied below (under my signature), with the
event flyer and link to register. Would you please take a look?

With this flyer at your disposal, how can you help? Please read the flyer,
consider attending if you are a blind high-school or college student in the
Midwest region, and--best of all--invite your friends to attend! Please
register, and get your friends to register! Let's get friendly!

As I mentioned, this event strives to be fun and casual, and especially
accessible to Federation newcomers. We cannot reach a wide audience without
your help! If you each invite just one blind friend, our 30 registration
spots will be filled in less time than it takes to say, "Fun in the Sun with
your Federation family!" (Though, of course, you can say that all you want
when you attend!) Thanks in advance for spreading the word, and making this
event possible!

A quick note on travel arrangements: as a first-time event, we are putting
forth maximum effort to make transportation as easy as possible. Therefore,
participants who can meet us in Indianapolis or Chicago will be picked up
from there and transported as a group to Michigan City (in northern
Indiana). This goes for both in-state and out-of-state participants! And
better yet, the $15 registration--incredibly low if I do say so
myself--covers your transportation and food for the day!

With All the Best from Your Indiana Student Division,
Christopher Meyer
President, Indiana Association of Blind Students
chsmeyer at indiana.edu | (765) 480-2978

To all blind students in the Midwest, especially college and high-school
students: this is an exciting event just for you! The Indiana and Illinois
Associations of Blind Students are co-hosting a welcoming event for
newcomers and anyone just wanting a fun day in the Sun at the Indiana Dunes
National Lakeshore in Michigan City, IN. Please see the flyer below for
details, and get registering! Event costs only $15!

Brought to you by the Indiana and Illinois Associations of Blind Students,
divisions of the National Federation of the Blind of Indiana and Illinois,
respectively.

 http://nfbofillinois.org/?page_id=639
Midwest Meetup
Day At The Dunes

Swim, hike, play Discs on the Dunes (accessible disc golf), Sculptionaries,
Castle Contests,  music, chill with cool people, food, fun, and memories
Hey all you blind high school & college students;  Are you ready for a break
after a long semester, a way to meet & bond with friends and build real
memories?
Come for some fun in the sun with the IL & IN Associations of Blind
Students' Day at the Dunes.

Sunday, July 20, 2014
(The date of this event was originally set for June but we are now having
this event in July. sorry for the inconvenience.)

Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore - Michigan City, IN

Departure: 10:00 AM Eastern from Indianapolis, 10:00 AM Central from
Chicago; Return: 10:00 PM

Just $15 (includes transportation & food)

For more information or to learn about transportation options, please
contact Christopher Meyer at (765)480-2978 or
chsmeyer at umail.iu.edu.

Don't forget your swimsuits and towels!
The National Federation of the blind knows that blindness is not the
expectations
of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind
people and their dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not
what
holds you back.