[nfbmi-talk] romney calls for resignation of nh official

joe harcz Comcast via nfbmi-talk nfbmi-talk at nfbnet.org
Mon May 19 17:58:44 UTC 2014

Romney: N.H. police official should resign for 'vile' Obama remark By Catalina Camia USA TODAY Mitt Romney is calling on a New Hampshire police commissioner

to apologize and resign for using a racial epithet in reference to President Obama. "The vile epithet used and confirmed by the commissioner has no place

in our community: He should apologize and resign," Romney said in a statement first reported by the Boston Herald. Robert Copeland , the police commissioner

of Wolfeboro, N.H., refused to apologize and sent a statement to his fellow commissioners after a resident complained to the town manager that she overheard

the slur used by Copeland. "I believe I did use the 'N' word in reference to the current oc'cup'ant of the White House," Copeland, 82, wrote to his fellow

commissioners last week. "For this, I do not apologize - he meets and exceeds my criteria for such. Romney, the 2012 GOP presidential nominee, owns a vacation

home in Wolfeboro and spends every summer with his family at the New Hampshire house. About 20 black people live in Wolfeboro, according to the Associated

Press. Copeland won a new three-year term on the Wolfeboro police commission in March. None of the town's police officers is black or another member of

a minority group, according to CBS News . Town Manager David Owen has said he and the town's board of selectmen cannot remove an elected official from

office.