[nfbmi-talk] NFB Rally - Media Release

Terry D. Eagle via nfbmi-talk nfbmi-talk at nfbnet.org
Tue May 27 03:34:43 UTC 2014

The following is posted on behalf of Larry Posont, President, NFB of
Michigan, president at nfbmi.org.   Larry is experiencing computer problems

 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 26, 2014

CONTACT: Larry Posont, President, National Federation of the Blind of
Michigan,

PHONE:  313-727-3546, E-MAIL:  president at nfbmi.org

Why No Jobs For the blind While Blindness Agency Illegally Hires Sighted
Persons Despite Court Settlement, asks NFB of Michigan?

LANSING  MI -

On Tuesday, May 27 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 P.m., The National Federation of
the Blind of Michigan will picket the Governor's office and the House Office
Building in downtown Lansing to protest the State's breach of a recent
settlement agreement to comply with state law, to license and place a
qualified blind independent business person to operate the cafeteria in  the
state House of Representatives Anderson office Building, as required by
state and federal law.  Additionally,Federation members will be protesting
the virtual elimination of training services for blind persons, in order to
assist and prepare individuals for jobs in the Michigan workforce, as
provided under the federal Rehabilitation Act, The Randolph-Sheppard Act and
Michigan Public Act 260 of 1978.

"We want jobs, not welfare", repeated Larry Posont, President of the
Michigan affiliate of the nation's oldest and largest advocacy organization
of blind persons in Michigan.

"The Bureau of Services for Blind Persons (BS FOR BP) has created a work to
welfare pipeline in our state.  I receive calls weekly asking for help from
blind persons who are waiting for years, not months - years, for service
which doesn't come.  We expect more from this administration than to put
more blind people on welfare, rather than provide training and placement for
good jobs, as the law advocates."

 About the National Federation of the Blind:

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest

and most influential membership organization of blind people in the United
States.

The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy, education, research,
technology,

and programs encouraging independence and self-confidence.

 In Michigan, the NFB of Michigan provides Scholarships to blind college
students, Newsline for the blind with more than 300 newspapers delivered
daily via telephone and computer, and programs to blind youth, to expand and
enhance their education, discovery of talents and skills, and to improve
their quality of life and opportunities for personal growth and
independence.

.