[nfbmi-talk] Michigan Flyer metro Airport

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Thu Oct 2 02:36:27 UTC 2014

E-newsMasthead_SpecialUpdate.jpg

UPDATE on Our Location Change at DTW’s McNamara Terminal

last edition

of E-News, nearly 500 of you sent emails opposing Detroit Metro Airport’s
relocation

of our McNamara Terminal stop from curbside at International Arrivals to the
most

remote possible boarding location at the Ground Transportation Center in the
parking

ramp across the road.

Please accept our heartfelt thanks for taking the time and effort!  Also,
please

accept our apologies for having to report more about this, instead of our
usual happier

topics.

before.jpg

(click to enlarge)

This isn't about a simple change in parking spots. For 175,000 Michigan
Flyer-AirRide

passengers a year, it's the difference between boarding your bus right at
the terminal,

or two football fields away.

(See this

aerial photo

and this

diagram

.) It's the difference between waiting for us in a comfortable room that’s
heated

and air-conditioned, or in a parking garage exposed to harsh weather and
exhaust

fumes. It's the difference between having restrooms and elevators nearby, or
not.

We believe DTW’s relocation of Michigan Flyer-AirRide is illegal under the
Americans

with Disabilities Act, and a major hardship for many seniors. A disability
expert

agrees, and you can read his full report at the link below.

Airport spokesmen claim they’re doing this for “safety” reasons, but offer
no proof

except photos of congestion that occurred when DTW’s 100-employee police
force was

not controlling traffic well. Whatever the real reason, the move will hurt
the motorcoach

service you rely on by making Michigan Flyer-AirRide less accessible for
everyone.

after.jpg

(click to enlarge)

More Ways to Make a Difference

But it’s not over yet. Though DTW did relocate Michigan Flyer-AirRide after
receiving

many emails in opposition, your comments are making a difference. It may
help change

things for the better if you also share your opinion with the newspaper
editors at

these links:

Detroit News

,

Detroit Free Press

,

Ann Arbor News

, and

Lansing State Journal

.

You could also share your thoughts on the

Delta Airlines Facebook page

. Delta’s agreement with DTW guarantees it preferential use of the McNamara
Terminal.

Its employees continue to ride DTW buses to and from the terminal curb 168
times

a day, while passengers on our 26 daily stops have been moved far away due
to “safety

and congestion concerns.”

Michigan Flyer-AirRide frequently helps Delta passengers get to the Greater
Lansing

region when they miss their connecting flights. In addition, last year
alone, our

passengers collectively paid about $5.8 million in airfares to Delta and
other domestic

carriers at DTW. The only airlines served by the McNamara Terminal are Delta
and

Air France.

Important Events So Far

MIFlyer_Bullet_16px.JPG

GOV. SNYDER URGED DTW NOT TO MOVE US

in a letter last June.

MIFlyer_Bullet_16px.JPG

SO DID ANN ARBOR AREA TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY

CEO Michael Ford in August.

MIFlyer_Bullet_16px.JPG

SO DID THE STATE TRANSPORTATION COMMISSION

in September, after hearing from three people with disabilities, a
representative

of student government at MSU and U-M, three international students, the
Mid-Michigan

Environmental Action Council, the Transportation for Michigan coalition, the
Michigan

Developmental Disabilities Council, and others opposed to the move.

paul-palmer.jpg

MIFlyer_Bullet_16px.JPG

DTW SENT OUT A PRESS RELEASE

saying the new location would be safer for our passengers than our previous
location

curbside at McNamara Terminal. Based on your own personal experiences,
scores of

you begged to differ. Elsewhere DTW has said that our former stop right at
the terminal

“was always intended as a trial.” We’ve been there 4½ years.

MIFlyer_Bullet_16px.JPG

TWO PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES SUED DTW

on grounds of violating the Americans with Disabilities Act. The lawsuit
against

Wayne County Airport Authority was filed by Michael Harris, executive
director of

Michigan Paralyzed Veterans of America, and Karla Hudson, a resident of East
Lansing

who is blind.

MIFlyer_Bullet_16px.JPG

A DISABILITY EXPERT FILED THIS CRITICAL REPORT

in the lawsuit. It contains numerous photos showing that the Ground
Transportation

Center is non-compliant with ADA accessibility requirements. (Scroll down to
p.18

of the PDF.)

michaelharris.jpg

Again, we much appreciate your patience and support while we work through
this difficult

situation. We remain dedicated to providing you with the safest, most
reliable and

affordable motorcoach connections possible—and hope to achieve a good
outcome before

long.

Why Drive?!

Booking is easy,

click here

to view schedules on

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Tracking/t.c?7flel-g2zur-ymsckn5&_v=2

Michigan Flyer

333 Albert Street Suite 214 | East Lansing, MI 48823

www.michiganflyer.com

**Unsubscribing will affect your ability to receive Michigan Flyer
information

pertaining to general schedule changes or other updates.

This email is intended for f.wurtzel at att.net.

Update your preferences

or

Unsubscribe

?utm_source=campaigner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=deliveryfooter