[nfbmi-talk] convention agenda

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 11:25:04 UTC 2014

7189 Connors Rd.
Munising, MI 49862

October 8, 2014

Dear Michigan Federationists:

     Here is the Agenda for the 2014 State Convention of the National
Federation of the Blind. Thank you very much to all of those who are
participating on the Agenda. The Agenda will be available on the
website shortly. I look forward to seeing all of you this week end in
Flint at the State Convention.

Sincerely,
Larry Posont
President
 (906) 387-3546
Email: president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
 Web page: www.nfbmi.org

Munising home of the beautiful Pictured Rocks.

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
OF MICHIGAN
STATE CONVENTION
October 10-12, 2014

Holiday Inn
5353 Gateway Center
Flint, MI 48507
(810) 232-5300

MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT
expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.
The Michigan Affiliate is selling Braille mugs!! They have the Braille
alphabet on one side.  The other side has a message to decipher in
Braille plus three stick figures. One person is reading Braille.
Another is using a cane and another is using a guide dog.
Location - Foyer of the Ballroom

FRIDAY:   October 10, 2014

1:00 - 4:00 TECH AND TOOLS SEMINAFR (drop in anytime)
Location:  Adams/Jefferson
Learn about the latest high-tech and low-tech tools to improve your
life and increase independence. Experience the new KNFB Reader app
that lets you use an iPhone to read print. Delve into the world of
accessible science with Dr. Cary Supalo, President of Independence
Science. Try out simple low-tech tools that make it easier to cook and
do chores around the home. Learn about the latest iPhone accessories
to enhance your mobile lifestyle.
 Coordinators: J.J. Meddaugh, President, ATGuys.com and Fred Wurtzel,
President Emeritus; NFB of Michigan and Co-coordinator NFB Summer
Science Spectacular.

3:00-7:00 REGISTRATION; Mike Powell, First Vice President, National
Federation of the Blind of Michigan and Paulette Powell
Location:  Outside Madison/McKinley

4:00 - 6:00 RESOLUTIONS; Dave Robinson, Board Member, National
Federation of the Blind of Michigan. Send Resolutions to
drob1946 at gmail.com
Location:  Taft

6:45 REGISTRATION, STUDENT'S SEMINAR
Location:  Taylor

7:00 - 9:00 STUDENT SEMINAR; Jordyn Castor, President, Michigan
Association of Blind Students
Location:  Taylor

6:30 REGISTRATION, MERCHANT'S DIVISION
Location:  Taft

7:00 - 9:00 MERCHANT'S DIVISION; Terry Eagle, President, Merchant's
Division National Federation of the Blind of Michigan
Location:   Taft

7:00 - 9:00 PARENT'S DIVISION
Location:  Oval

9:00 - 11:00 TALENT SHOW, CASH BAR; Sponsored by Flint Chapter
Location:  Adams/Jefferson

The Lansing Chapter will hold a 50 - 50 drawing. Tickets are $1.00
each or six for $5.00. The Ann Arbor Chapter is holding a gift card
raffle. Tickets are 1 for $3.00, 2 for $5.00 or five for $10.00. The
drawings will be on Sunday morning before Adjournment.
National Federation of the Blind Literature is available at the back
of the Convention hall both Saturday and Sunday. Kimberly Mohnke is
managing Literature for the Convention.
If you wish to receive any of the NFB literature sent electronically
as a computer file or audio file please contact Kimberly Mohnke via
phone: 989-640-1719 or by email: kim.mohnke at yahoo.com.

SATURDAY:  October 11, 2014

7:00 am - RESOLUTIONS, [If needed] Dave Robinson, Board Member,
Location:  J Porter's Restaurant

7:30 am to Opening of General Session REGISTRATION; Mike Powell, First
Vice President
All General Sessions, the Banquet, Auction, Devotions and the Board
Meeting are held in the Washington/Lincoln Ballroom.
Child Care is in the Madison/McKinley Room. Childcare will be
available at State Convention at the following Times: Friday, 7:00 to
9:00 pm during Division meetings. Saturday, fifteen minutes before
until fifteen minutes after the morning and afternoon sessions plus
the Banquet. This means from 8:30 to 12:15 for the morning. Also from
1:30 to 5:15 in the afternoon and from 6:45 until fifteen minutes
after the Banquet adjourns. Sunday, from 8:45 until 12:15.

8:45 OPENING SESSION - We will start on time with a door prize.
INTRODUCTION of State Board
INTRODUCTION of Participating Members
STAR SPANGLED BANNER; Terri Wilcox, Secretary, National Federation of
the Blind of Michigan
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Senator Jim Ananich will visit Convention sometime today. He will
speak on the Agenda when he arrives.
9:00 - 9:15 INTRODUCTION OF MAYOR OF FLINT
The Honorable Dayne Walling, Mayor, City of Flint, Michigan
Dayne Walling is serving in his second term as the Mayor of the City
of Flint. His vision of a sustainable 21st Century community has
attracted new investments and energy to the difficult challenge of
turning Flint around. He is committed to bringing new jobs, making
neighborhoods safe, and supporting great schools in Flint and across
Michigan. Under his leadership, the City of Flint has adopted its
first comprehensive master plan in more than 50 years. Mayor Walling
serves on the Executive Committee for the Michigan Economic
Development Corporation and is Chairman of the National Manufacturing
Alliance of Communities. Mayor Walling previously worked in the
public, nonprofit and private sectors and was a Rhodes Scholar from
Michigan State University.
9:15 - 10:00 NATIONAL REPORT AND REBRANDING OF THE NATIONAL FEDERATION
OF THE BLIND; Patti Gregory-Chang, President, National Federation of
the Blind of Illinois and Member, Board of Directors of the National
Federation of the Blind
10:00 - 10:15 Questions from Members
10:15 - 10:45 THE RIGHT TO LIVE IN THE WORLD INCLUDES THE RIGHT TO THE
PRINTED WORD
A discussion of the ABCs of the Americans with Disabilities Act and
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Joe Harcz, President, Flint
Chapter National Federation of the Blind of Michigan
10:45 - 12:00 SUMMER SCIENCE SPECTACULAR; Fred Wurtzel, Donna Posont
and Cary Supalo
12:15 - GUIDE DOG COMMITTEE; Larry Keeler
	Location:  J Porter's Restaurant

12:30 - 1:45 AFFILIATE ACTION LUNCHEON, PROGRAMS IN THE NATIONAL
FEDERATION OF THE BLIND; Dave Robinson
Location:	Washington/Lincoln Ballroom

1:45 - 2:00 ANNOUNCEMENTS, DOOR PRIZES
2:00 - 2:20 EDUCATION OF BLIND CHILDREN IN MICHIGAN; Collette Bauman,
Low Incidence Outreach
2:20-2:30 QUESTIONS FROM MEMBERS
2:30-3:00 EXPERIENCES AS A STUDENT INTERN IN THE BIG APPLE; Jordyn Castor
3:00 - 3:20 BUREAU OF SERVICES TO BLIND PERSONS; Lisa Kisiel, Training
Center Director
3:20 - 3:30 QUESTIONS FROM MEMBERS
3:30 - 3:50 TRANSPORTATION IN MICHIGAN; J.J. Meddaugh
3:50 - 4:10 EMPOWERMENT; Derek Moore, Board Member, National
Federation of the Blind of Michigan
4:10 - 4:30 BRAILLE AND TALKING BOOK LIBRARY; Sue Chinault
4:30 - 4:50 NEWSLINE FOR THE BLIND; Georgia Kitchen, Coordinator,
Newsline for the Blind of Michigan
4:50 - 4:55 GUIDE DOG COMMITTEE; Larry Keeler
4:55 - 5:00 BLIND CHILDREN'S FUND; Cheryl Wade Consultant, Blind
Children's Fund
6:00 - 7:00 SOCIAL HOUR WITH CASH BAR
7:00 -  BANQUET
NATIONAL REPRESENTATIVE, Patti Gregory-Chang Representing the National
Federation of the Blind and Mark Riccobono, President, National
Federation of the Blind
AWARDS
AUCTION
Please bring auction items for the Saturday evening Auction after the
Banquet. Baked goods are especially appreciated.
     Patti Gregory-Chang was born in May of 1963. She never had vision
in her right eye and has been blind since the age of twelve, when the
sight in her left eye began failing as a result of microthalmia. For
Patti, however, her blindness is no more interesting or important than
any of her other characteristics, such as being a woman or an
attorney.
     Growing up in Harbor Springs, Michigan, Patti lived a normal
life, learning early that blindness was not a tragedy. "We lived in
town. My younger brother Gerry and I hung out. I did winter sports and
worked a little in the summer. My parents (Eve Lauer and Donald
Gregory) did a good job of treating me like anyone else. They had high
expectations," she said.
     After graduating from Harbor Springs High School in 1981, Patti
planned to attend school with hopes of becoming a teacher of the
visually impaired. After earning her teaching certificate at Michigan
State University, she discovered a passion for law and enrolled at the
University of Chicago Law School. Patti graduated from law school in
1988 and has worked in the City of Chicago Law Department ever since.
She began her tenure there in the Traffic Division and then worked her
way up to assistant corporation counsel. In this position she
prosecuted housing court matters in the Circuit Court of Cook County
and handled collection matters for the Building and Land Use
Litigation Division of the City of Chicago Law Department.
     In 1998 Patti became senior assistant corporation counsel for the
City of Chicago Law Department. In this role she prosecutes cases,
supervises attorneys prosecuting cases, coordinates law clerks and
externs, and serves on various committees and task forces. She belongs
to several professional associations and is active in the Municipal
Administrative Law arena in Illinois.
     Patti first joined the National Federation of the Blind in 1981
in Michigan. She moved to Illinois in 1985 and has been increasingly
active ever since. She served as Chicago chapter president and as
first vice president of the Illinois affiliate before becoming
president in 2006. She was elected to the National Federation of the
Blind board of directors in 2008, and was appointed by President
Maurer to chair the National Federation of the Blind Scholarship
Committee in 2011.
     "The NFB is huge. When I found the NFB, I realized that its
philosophy was the same as the one I had fortunately grown up with:
'blind people are able to live full and productive lives just like any
sighted person. We want the same chances to succeed as everyone else.
With the right techniques, blindness can be reduced to an
inconvenience, rather than being a tragedy."
     The NFB's monthly publication, the Braille Monitor, has featured
several articles by Patti on a variety of blindness topics:
Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) and the Illinois affiliate of
which she is president. She is also a frequent contributor to the ISBA
Administrative Law Section newsletter.
     Patti and her husband Francisco Chang have raised two children.
Francisco is an RN with several national certifications. They were
married in 1984. "I love to brag about my kids, John, a graduate of
the University of Illinois at Urbana, and Julia, who attends the
University of Illinois at Urbana now. They both excel and care about
people. They are really special," she said.
     Patti and Francisco work to strike a balance among the priorities
in their lives: work, family, philanthropy, and play. Francisco has
tri-citizenship because he is of Chinese descent and was raised in
Belize. As a result of her husband's experiences, Patti administered
practice exams and review sessions for permanent residents trying to
obtain US citizenship at the Pui Tak Center in Chicago from 2002 to
2006.
     "When we find time in our busy schedules, one of our favorite
things to do is travel," Patti said. "We have traveled extensively in
Central America, and Mexico." Wherever the Changs go, they illustrate
the NFB's core belief that blind people are normal people who cannot
see, and their lives and contributions can be as rich and valuable as
those of anyone else.

SUNDAY - October 12, 2014

The Lansing Chapter will hold 50 - 50 drawings. Tickets are $1.00 each
or six for $5.00. The gift card raffle and 50 - 50 drawings will be on
Sunday morning before Adjournment.

8:30 - DEVOTIONS; Terri Wilcox.
Board Meeting, National Federation of the Blind of Michigan
Quorum
Introduction of Participating Members
SECRETARY'S REPORT; Terri Wilcox
TREASURER'S Report; Mark Eagle
PRESIDENTS REPORT; Larry Posont
ELECTION of PRESIDENT
ELECTION of FIRST VICE PRESIDENT
ELECTION of SECOND VICE PRESIDENT
ELECTION of SECRETARY
ELECTION OF TREASURER
PRESIDENTIAL REPORT ON NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF MICHIGAN;
Larry Posont, President, National Federation of the Blind of Michigan
10:00 Mr. Brown Insurance against Identity Theft and Legal
Resolutions; Dave Robinson
NATIONAL CONVENTION - Where and When
FUND RAISING - National Convention
STATE CONVENTION - Locations for 2015
WASHINGTON SEMINAR - 2015
STUDENT DIVISION REPORT; Jordyn Castor
MERCHANT'S DIVISIONREPORT; Terry Eagle
GUIDE DOG COMMITTEE; Larry Keeler
COMMITTEES; including: Legislation, Membership, Communications and Fund Raising
LEADERSHIP RETREAT REPORTS
CHAPTER REPORT
NEW BUSINESS
OLD BUSINESS
12:00 ADJOURN
WHO are the Blind that Lead the Blind?

president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Cell, (313) 727-3546
Michael Powell, First Vice President
3253 Dolores Ave.
Warren, MI 48091
mpowell at wowway.com
 (586) 754-1325
Joe Sontag, Second Vice President
1204 Morris Ave.
Lansing, MI 48917
suncat0 at gmail.com
(517) 323-8970

Terri Wilcox, Secretary
2533 Sandalwood Circle
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
trising at sbcglobal.net
(734) 680-6547
Mark Eagle, Treasurer
1417 Corbett St.
Lansing, MI 48910
 (517) 394-4548
markaeagle at yahoo.com
Board Position 1 David Robinson
818 Loomis St.
Jackson, MI 49202
 (517) 775-7943
drob1946 at gmail.com
Board Position 2 Sarah Norwood
497 Campbell Street
River Rouge, MI 48218
sand819 at gmail.com
(313) 406-9424
Board Position 3 Mary Wurtzel
1212 North Foster
Lansing, MI
(517) 485-0326
marywurtzel at att.net
Board Position 4 Derek E Moore
2652 Brooklane Ave SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49507
(616) 475-3857
moorederek at yahoo.com

Thank you for attending the forty-fourth annual State Convention of
the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan.

20812 Ann Arbor Trail
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
(313) 727-3546