[nfbmi-talk] hint on joint statement metro airport

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sat Oct 18 13:46:39 UTC 2014

Here is the joint statement of this so-called settlement. Does anyone see some issues? Hint, is the video and similar visually based systems accessible to a blind traveler?

Are the signs mentioned here accessable to us?

For that matter are any of the kiosks in the airport accessable and independently usable for blind travelers?

Joe

News

Release

 Media contacts:

WCAA: Michael Conway 734-942-3558

Nyman Turkish PC: Jason Turkish 855-527-6668

Michigan Flyer: Mark Holoweiko 517-881-4460

   Settlement reached in airport bus stop case

 DETROIT (October 17, 2014): Wayne County Airport Authority (WCAA) has reached

a settlement with Michael Harris and Karla Hudson, the plaintiffs, in the legal action

arising from WCAA’s decision to move the pick-up and drop-off location for Michigan

Flyer, AirRide and the SMART bus at the McNamara Terminal at Detroit Metropolitan

Airport (DTW).

 Motor coaches providing public transportation to and from the terminal were relocated

September 22, 2014 from the International Arrivals curb to the Ground Transportation

Center (GTC), across the street, where all other ground transportation providers operate.

The agreement calls for these buses to stay in the GTC, while, in turn, the Airport

Authority agrees to make customer service enhancements to that area.

 “We are pleased to work in a spirit of cooperation with representatives of the plaintiffs, as

well as Michigan Flyer, to reach a consensus we all accept,” said WCAA CEO Thomas

Naughton. “This is a great example of reasonable people working together to create a

safer and more customer-friendly environment.”

 Modifications to the GTC include providing an indoor information counter for the service

providers. WCAA will reconfigure the motor coach parking positions, enhance bus

shelters and signage to improve passenger flow, and provide an on-site phone with a

direct connection to passenger assistance.

 “On behalf of Michael Harris and Karla Hudson, two extraordinary individuals and

leaders within the disability rights community, I am delighted to report that the parties

have reached an agreement on improvements at the Ground Transportation Center to

make it convenient, more accessible, and safer for everyone,” said Attorney Jason

Turkish of Nyman Turkish PC, Lead Counsel for the plaintiffs. “After gaining the

support of hundreds of Michiganders, and the Attorney General, this lawsuit will end

with everyone a winner, and the airport can now be a beacon of pride for accessibility

and inclusion in Southeastern Michigan.”

 “Michigan Flyer is pleased with the agreement,” said Chad Cushman, Vice-President of

Business for Indian Trails, Inc., the parent company of Michigan Flyer. “We commend

Detroit Metropolitan Airport for doing the right thing for all of our mutual passengers,

and especially the elderly and those with disabilities. It’s important to note that our

passengers will soon enjoy a comfortable, climate-controlled, indoor waiting area in the

McNamara Terminal’s Ground Transportation Center, with accessible phones, restrooms,

drinking fountains and other amenities nearby. They’ll also have a live, video information

system that lets them know when our motor coaches are about to arrive at the GTC, as

well as full-service assistance for anyone who needs help getting to or from our stop. We

look forward to continue providing reliable, quality ground transportation service for

our customers between East Lansing, Ann Arbor, and Detroit Metro Airport.”

  “For us, this was always about customer safety,” said Naughton. “We are comfortable

that the GTC enhancements, to which we have all agreed, maintain a safe environment

for our customers.”

  #####

 Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) welcomed more than 32 million passengers in 2013

and is one of the world’s leading air transportation hubs. With service from 13 scheduled passenger

airlines, Michigan’s largest airport offers more than 1,100 flights per day to and from nearly 150 non-stop

destinations on four continents. In 2010, DTW ranked highest in overall customer satisfaction among large

airports in the J.D. Power and Associates North America Airport Satisfaction Study. With two award-

winning passenger terminals, six jet runways, and an onsite AAA Four-Diamond Westin Hotel, DTW is

among the world’s most efficient, customer friendly and operationally capable airports in North America.

DTW is operated by Wayne County Airport Authority, which also operates nearby Willow Run Airport—

an important corporate, cargo and general aviation facility. The Airport Authority is entirely self-

sustaining and does not receive tax dollars to support airport operations. Visit www.metroairport.com for

more information.   NR Public trans to GTC Sep 2014

Source for active links:

   Settlement reached in airport bus stop case