[nfbmi-talk] FW: [stylist] FW: Blind constituent seeking access to National Park Service Digital Image Archive

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Sat Oct 25 04:40:39 UTC 2014

Hello,

FYI.

Warmest Regards,

Fred

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Donna W. Hill
via stylist
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 9:23 PM
To: 'Writer's Division Mailing List'
Subject: [stylist] FW: Blind constituent seeking access to National Park
Service Digital Image Archive

Hi Friends,
Since the list is low, I thought I'd post my latest advocacy rant.
Enjoy,
Donna

 *** Dear Senator Casey,

As a blind citizen of the US, trying to advance my career goals as an
author, I am continually held back by inaccessible online resources which
are freely used by others. This is an example of one which is hosted by the
federal government and should absolutely be accessible. I am asking your
help in getting this remedied ASAP, as every day without such resources puts
blind people  in  another one-down position vis-a-vis our competitors.

Thank you,

Donna W. Hill

605 Overfield Rd.

Meshoppen, PA 18630

570-833-2708

http://DonnaWHill.com

Message sent to:

National Park Service Digital Image Archive

 <http://www.nps.gov/pub_aff/imagebase.html>
http://www.nps.gov/pub_aff/imagebase.html\

 via online contact form 10/24/14

Block quote

I am a blind author of the educator-recommended novel The  Heart of
Applebutter Hill. As such I have the sole responsibility for promoting and
selling my writing and presentations.  One of my regular efforts in this
regard is posting blogs on my website, DonnaWHill.com

Visual images are vital to any product's success, and studies show that
imagery is crucial to the perceived authenticity on the internet in
particular. As such, I would like to use the resources NPS makes available
through its photo gallery. Since one element of my novel was based on a
feature of a national historic site, and others on features of various
national parks,

I was hopeful that this resource would provide me with the photos I need to
bring life to my writing.

I am able to choose a park and "view gallery." However, you have not used
the alt tag attribute to label your index, leaving me with no clue
whatsoever what the pictures are.

In keeping with repeated promises by various presidents to enforce the
guarantees of accessible media in accordance with federal law, I am
encouraging you to make this resource available to me and the many other
blind authors, bloggers and NPS lovers who desire to use them. I noticed
that you do have some graphics labeled correctly, so someone there knows how
to do this. If you need assistance, however, I would be happy to put you in
touch with free resources.

Thank you for your attention to this matter,

Donna W. Hill

cc: Sens. Bob Casey, Pat Toomey, Rep. Tom Morino

Block quote end

-- The Heart of Applebutter Hill - a novel on a mission:

http://DonnaWHill.com <http://donnawhill.com/>