[nfbmi-talk] Snyder's hiring plans

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 11:42:39 UTC 2014

Here is something related to that document and BSBP not responded to:
October 22, 2014 Better off Working BADP?

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 48458

joeharcz at comcast.net

810-516-5262

Edward Rodgers, Director

Mich. Bureau Services for Blind Persons (BSBP)

Mike Pemble, Deputy Director

Robert L. Essenberg, Director (BSBP/BADP)

(Via e-mail)

Sirs,

I point your attention to the following:

Quote from:

(Disability Reform Work Group
Strategic Plan

Developed by the Michigan Department of Human Services, Michigan
Rehabilitation Services, Disability Determination Service, the Disability
Network and Michigan
Employers)

""BSBP also has programs that train blind individuals to become
entrepreneurs. These programs will continue to grow to help blind
individuals be successful
in the workforce. The workgroup will review the programs to see if there are
ways to make them most effective.

Business Assistance and Development Program

The Business Assistance and Development Program (BADP) is a new division
within BSBP. Its mission and goal is to guide clients into areas of business
assistance
and development, with a training process focused on blind individuals
learning business skills and developing knowledge of operating a business.
The BADP
will offer consulting services, development services, educational program,
financial assistance and guidance for small and medium size businesses
operated,
managed or owned by entrepreneurs who are legally blind.  The Division will
provide customer related services with various stakeholders and associations
to encourage the growth of legally blind entrepreneurs in the private
sector. Services may include training modules for legally blind individuals
operating
in the food service industry. For example, the latest Blind Enterprise
Program facility in Lansing is also a training center for BADP clients. BADP
is
currently developing a resource guide to assist consumers in identifying
external resources for potential blind entrepreneurs. ""

(Note this is from August 2014.)

Now I'm requesting in accessible format the above mentioned training modules
and resource guide. They should be provided promptly to me as either Word or
plain text attachments to my e-mail address listed above. Mr. Essen berg has
had more than one year to develop these long promised instruments and a
salary
of $104,000. He also has had highly paid sighted, non-disabled
administrators to assist him including Amanda Newman which is ironic as we're
talking about
employing people with disabilities, and in particular those who are blind
here and elsewhere.

In addition BADPP and "Cora's Café" have been promoted here and elsewhere as
a training program in food services. Yet, the Business Enterprise Training
continues to fund a sighted trainer at more than $25,000 per session and
those trainings such as they are are conducted at the Michigan Commission
for
the Blind Training Center, and will be so according to Ms. Lisa Kisial's
public comments at the recent NFB convention.

In addition Cora's Café is currently run not by a licensed blind operator
though it is a priority and mandated facility under PA 260 and is funded
with
VR funds to the hilt which aren't accounted for. And finally there aren't
even any paid blind employees or others with other disabilities there.

So how can BSBP argue or state as it does that this is an effective program
for establishing blind small business?

Regardless I wish to also request as a matter of accountability just how
much BSBP has plowed in to BADP including all salaries, training, and
expenses
like on the Tim Hortons fiasco, capital equipment, rent, etc.

Since its inception.

This should not be difficult for a program promoting effective business
practices to produce, It is, after all a matter of simple accounting and
accountability.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.