[nfbmi-talk] bsbp peckham questions and info

David Robinson drob1946 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 13:43:37 UTC 2014

Christine,

   Many of us have given much and sacrificed more then most would know to
bring equality to the blind here in Michigan.  Just as our national leaders
of the past, we have given of our time to mentor and bring hope to blind
people, and yes we still have a continuing role to play to bring that hope
of equality to the blind of Michigan.  Should we let us consume us?
Absolutely not, but the rebilitation system, like it or not, is a
significant part of blind people's lives.  Especially those just becoming
blind.
   It is my thought that we should not turn our back on the system that is
now totally broken, but to keep it in focus, so we can assist people through
it when they come to us for our help, and to change it for the better as we
can.
   This has to be balanced with our need to grow our organization and become
stronger.  New members, new chapters, expanded projects that educate and
provide practicle solutions for the blind of all ages.  I believe we need to
have a plance which combines strong advocacy, programs and projects that
help blind people of all ages and facilatates growth of the organization,
and constant outreach, education, mentoring and role modeling for our
members and others who are not yet part of our movement.  We must keep
ourselves relavent as a civil rights organization in order to offer our gift
of the Federation to others.
   You have made a choice in your own live, and others will make their
choice.   we must always strive to make Michigan a place that will be a good
choice for them.

Dave