[nfbmi-talk] request tdn board cert etc

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Oct 29 16:24:12 UTC 2014

October   29, 2014

Michigan Department of Human Services

Michigan Rehabilitation Services

Attention: Thomas A. Jones, Contract Administrator

P.O. Box 30010

Lansing, Michigan 48909

jonest at michigan.gov

Re: TDN Board Certification and Violations of 504 etc.

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 48458

810-516-5262

joeharcz at comcast.

Dear Mr. Jones,

I am writing you today to request that you remit to me the board certification and related documents (see attachment for convenience) for the following Center for Independent Living:

The Disability Network

3600 S Dort Hwy. Ste. 54

 Flint, MI 48507

 Voice: (810) 742-1800

 Fax: (810) 742-2400

 TDD: (810) 742-7647

I believe the signatory will be long standing TDN Board Chair, Bruce Chargo.

In addition as  an advocate who is blind I request, invoking both the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended that you remit requested information in my most effective format which is to simply remit requested information as either Word attachments and/or plain text enclosures to my e-mail address listed above, for as you might know my computer “talks”.

In addition I must note that TDN violates the provisions of this certification and my known civil rights in that they don’t remit minutes to me or other board materials even after numerous requests and that their program Director told me verbally over the phone last week that she didn’t even know if they take minutes. In addition TDN publicly and on the record denies the general public including me access to their full board of directors meetings.

These are substantial violations of the requirements in this certification clearly stated, of the Michigan Open Meetings Act, of the non-discrimination provisions of Section 504, and of same under Title III of the ADA.

In fact the Director has publicly denied me access to full board meetings claiming TDN is a private non-profit in spite of me denoting aforementioned laws. And again they refuse to give me documents related to board activities in accessible format. In other words TDN, its Board and Director Zelley openly, defiantly and with malice of forethought discriminates against people with disabilities including me; the very people they are funded to serve!

I thank you in advance for your prompt response to this inquiry.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

Attachment