[nfbmi-talk] Student Job

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 1 20:06:58 UTC 2014

This is not an internship position, as civil service clearly posts that
internship position is of the internship program and it is a non-paid
position.

The student assistant pRogram first requires that student assistant
applicants and candidates be enrolled in a high school, undergraduate,
master's, or professional degree.  Student assistant positions are paid, and
pay is based on the education and work experience of the appointed student.
Some student assistant position postings will list a preference for an
academic area or degree, or such a requirement.  Student assistant
employment is intended for a student to gain work experience, get a foot in
the door and foot up for possible career employment with an agency.

The Michigan civil service employment opportunities webpage always seems to
have postings for both student assistant and student internship positions in
various state agencies.  The application window is usually short upon
posting, as applicants are volumous and competition is vigorous, and it
helps if students know someone within government employment.